Shellac: unreasonable client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
OK, so this lady has been coming for 6 months and her Shellac has only ever behaved PERFECTLY lasting a full 3 weeks between each appt (and could have gone on longer but for the gap at cuticles)

Had a call on Friday saying she's not going to come any more. She's had it removed at a salon locally because I was away (I'm guessing it's the one in town that does Shellac itself for £8 if you don't have cuticle work done because she went there before she came to me .. . but I could be wrong on this)

She says she is very disappointed that since having the Shellac her nails are very dry and brittle whereas they weren't before! And claims she has been using the solar oil (but the nail tech who removed MY Shellac told her the solar oil wouldn't penetrate through Shellac anyway so waste of time) GREAT!! :irked:

This lady's nails were MEGA short when she came to me and are now a lovely length.

I explained (again) that the whole point of the Shellac service is that you don't use any files or buffers on the nail so it is very gentle and that Shellac wouldn't damage the nails, esp if using the oil, and pointed out that I have done the Shellac training where we were taught about all the benefits and that it is non-damaging and she replied "Well of course the Shellac people WOULD say that."

Honestly, I just feel so frustrated! I can't see I've done anything wrong . . . I've used Shellac from S2, the right lamp, and all the right removal techniques and she's been using her Solar oil from her first visit to me . . . . so how can this be?

And I just CRINGE to think she's been slating me AND Shellac to another salon. Just feel horrible about it.

Anybody had anything like this?

You have done nothing wrong. ..
I wear shellac and use solar oil and my nails are in great condition. When I wear normal polish, it lasts longer too because my nails are now in better condition.
Try not to let it bother you but I do understand how that could make you feel down. Sorry I can't help much, just wanted to send a hug

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using SalonGeek

I always tell my customers that if they are covering the nail for long periods of time just like when your using nail polish , extensions you nails could become weak . Always give you nails a break and let them breathe . Just always cover yourself as much as you can .

I don't do Shellac yet but do bio, this lady had short nails when she came to you? Now there long? This just proves from leaving the salon she was going to her nails were not great, then after seeing you the nail was in better condition and had grown! The proof is in the pudding and by the sounds of it you have done a great job, you don't no what this salon has said to her but at the end of the day she will soon see how far her nails had come as going back to them I'm guessing she will realise how you helped her nails, don't worry just try and not let it upset you x

I always tell my customers that if they are covering the nail for long periods of time just like when your using nail polish , extensions you nails could become weak . Always give you nails a break and let them breathe . Just always cover yourself as much as you can .

It is sad to read that you tell your clients this information especially as everything you are telling them is completely inaccurate! Where did you train that you learned such myths?

Polish does not weaken anyone's nails, neither do enhancements nor UV cured colour products. Nails do not need a 'break' and they certainly do not breathe!

Nails need to be cared for both by the technician and the client with correct preparation, removal and client aftercare; if they are, then the worst that will happen to a natural nail after prolonged wear of polish etc, would be some temporary dehydration causing temporary brittleness which can again be counteracted with a daily routine of Solar Oil to re-hydrate the nailplate.

As a person who makes money from people who expect professionalism, you really should be telling clients the truth and not a bunch of 'old wives' tales'.

if they are, then the worst that will happen to a natural nail after prolonged wear of polish etc, would be some temporary dehydration causing temporary brittleness which can again be counteracted with a daily routine of Solar Oil to re-hydrate the nailplate.

Geeg, I advised her to keep on with the solar oil on her own nails. Would it be your advice to call her in, say, a week or so, and see if they are less brittle now her nails have had time to absorb the oil and be re-hydrated? Or shall I just leave it alone?

Geeg, I advised her to keep on with the solar oil on her own nails. Would it be your advice to call her in, say, a week or so, and see if they are less brittle now her nails have had time to absorb the oil and be re-hydrated? Or shall I just leave it alone?

She sounds like the sort of person who has made up her mind and probably won't take your advice; she didn't before did she? I'd let her stew in her own juice. She had short nails, now she has long nails ... Whenever I remove Shellac for any length of time I always shorten the nails because without the extra strength of Shellac, clients always break them anyway if left long.

I'd say if she had them removed elsewhere they have told her her nails are dry so that she will become a client of there's! You have done nothing wrong and should believe in yourself and your abilities.

As for contacting her in a week, only you know your clients and whether this would be appreciated by her or not. You are never going to please everyone this is just a fact of life. hth

She says she's been using her solar oil but has she really?! Her nails would not be dry and brittle of she has been using it.

She might be telling the truth and she maybe using her solar oil but for her nails to be dry and brittle she must be something that is counteracting the good she was doing with it like taking long baths, or washing up with no gloves.

I've done it all. I've either been very good and used my solar oil at least twice a day for 2 weeks and nails were perfect at removal. I've not used it at all for 2 weeks but made sure I wore gloves when cleaning etc, nails were a bit dry. I've then done it again no solar oil and no gloves, oh my god my nails were so bad and brittle that they kept breaking. I've also used the solar oil twice a day but no gloves and had some dryness at removal.

I've done it on myself purely so I could try and guess what my clients had been doing when they come in.

After all of that I now make sure I solar oil religiously!!

I also keep a note of when my clients buy their solar oil so I can guess when it should be running low and retail another bottle. If they don't buy another it generally means they haven't been using it.

nails can't breathe.....lol....

have you seen the ladies nails? i think she may be telling fibs or the person who took the shellac off has done some damage?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

nails can't breathe.....lol....

have you seen the ladies nails? i think she may be telling fibs or the person who took the shellac off has done some damage?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I wonder if they soaked them off, as in, not wrapped but in a bowl? So much I could say to her now, after I've had time to think!

Dont worry hun, you dont sound like you have done anything wrong, it could of simply been shes found somewhere cheaper and that was the way she let you down, people dont tend to think about their nail techs feelings, just like when you do a full set of L&P for free on a friend , and then you ask how they are a couple of days later and they sell they fell off! which in turn makes you think great!! what did i do wrong?? was it my prep? etc, Only to find that they picked,/took them off themselves!

Just dont worry yourself hunni, belive in yourself, your nails . And its her loss! xx

I really wouldn't waste your time trying to analyse it, you have done nothing to reproach yourself for.

Guarantee she will be back to you at some point.

Move on, your time and thoughts are too precious.

i dont think you have done any wrong either, i agree with the `breathing break` every now and again, but thats just per choice as some clients rather have something on. shellac is amazing, i love it... there will always be one ( or more) who think they get better elsewhere...chances are she will be back. x

i dont think you have done any wrong either, i agree with the `breathing break` every now and again. x

Why why why?

Nails don't breathe! If they did they would drown every time you put them in water.

Where do people get this breathing idea from? :grr::grr:They are keratin, the same as hair. Has a hairdresser ever told you to stop having colour on to let your hair breath or 'have a rest'

Why why why?

Nails don't breathe! If they did they would drown every time you put them in water.

Where do people get this breathing idea from? :grr::grr:They are keratin, the same as hair. Has a hairdresser ever told you to stop having colour on to let your hair breath or 'have a rest'

Lol. I say the same thing to clients if they bring up the breathing thing! I also find that the clients I've got that insist on a break every now and again end up breaking and damaging their nails when they don't have the shellac on because they aren't taking care of them like they should. They soon come running back to have shellac put back on.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using SalonGeek

, people dont tend to think about their nail techs feelings, just like when you do a full set of L&P for free on a friend , and then you ask how they are a couple of days later and they sell they fell off! which in turn makes you think great!! what did i do wrong?? was it my prep? etc, Only to find that they picked,/took them off themselves!

This is soooo true!! I have been foolish enough to do this and when they say 'they came off' I beat myself up wondering what I did wrong!!!
Then I asked did they fall off completely in one go or did they chip first?!!!!
The answer is oh no I couldn't stop picking then after one was off I nobbled off the rest!!!

How annoying!!! Gggrrrr!! Why do people do that?!

, people dont tend to think about their nail techs feelings, just like when you do a full set of L&P for free on a friend , and then you ask how they are a couple of days later and they sell they fell off! which in turn makes you think great!! what did i do wrong?? was it my prep? etc, Only to find that they picked,/took them off themselves!

This is soooo true!! I have been foolish enough to do this and when they say 'they came off' I beat myself up wondering what I did wrong!!!
Then I asked did they fall off completely in one go or did they chip first?!!!!
The answer is oh no I couldn't stop picking then after one was off I nobbled off the rest!!!

How annoying!!! Gggrrrr!! Why do people do that?!

Because people don't appreciate what they haven't paid for! I wouldn't ever do anything for free anymore, people won't value your time or expertise if you don't value yourself enough to charge. They'll pick them off thinking 'ah well, i didn't have to pay for them', they've not lost anything.

Thank so much for all your comments. You are right, it's not worth wasting time fretting . . . still niggles a little just the same though but hey ho

Still in two minds whether to ring her after a week. I just think if her nails are in much better condition then, it will prove my point to her that Solar Oil is what her nails needed and may tempt her back if she thinks I care . . . . maybe for mani's?

I think she's just gone to the other shop because they are charging a rediculous price of £8 and she's just made up an excuse hun!

The nails have grown where as they were short before and I bet dry too, you've done a fantastic job because if they were brittle etc they would be breaking and splitting. She just needs the length shortening and to use her oil

I bet her nails will be short again soon going else where and more fool her for going somewhere that says solar oil doesn't penetrate (the molecules are so small they do penetrate) so obviously the therapist has no idea

Focus on your deserving clients huni
;-) x

Latest posts

Back