SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayla9797

Reaction score
I have a question for any shellac manicure technicians/ gurus.. I got a shellac manicure on Saturday and before my nail tech brought out the lamp, she told me to wash my hands. I used soap and water and proceeded to get my nails done, after I got done, I heard another technician tell their client to “wash their hands with no soap, just water” but I didn’t think anything of it. A few days later I noticed a dark spot on my right hand, I didn’t think anything of it because I’m a darker complexion and sometimes I get dark spots randomly, then I realized that it could possibly be a burn from the uv light. When I touch it, it’s tender and my veins feel weird. While googling, I saw that it could turn into skin cancer or nerve damage. I’m absolutely freaking out and wondering if I should make a trip to the doctor or just let it heal. I attached an image, what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 0D6822EC-5808-4F6E-8F41-D69CAB9D4D15.jpeg
    0D6822EC-5808-4F6E-8F41-D69CAB9D4D15.jpeg
    12.7 KB · Views: 52
Its hardly likely to be a burn, LED doesn't produce heat, UV lamps don't produce enough to cause 'sun burn' you're only under the lamp for a max of 2 minutes per cycle, you spend longer in the sun's UV walking to the salon than in the lamp.

Its more likely to be an allergy to the soap ingredients

The 'nail lamps cause cancer' was a media scare and largely unfounded, and it certain doesn't happen after one visit. If you are seriously worried then contact your doctor for reassurance.

Latest posts

Back