Shellac -v- Colour Couture

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KerriLouise

Reaction score
Why am I finding shellac is chipping/wearing at the free edge ?

I've been using colour couture (entity) but changed to shellac as most of my clients are asking for it.

I found they got 3 and sometimes even 4 weeks from colour couture and shellac is chipping/wearing after 5 days!

Help!!

Xx

Did you retrain in shellac? xx

Hmm I would go back and ask your trainer hun. I'm not actually trained in shellac so don't want to suggest something that's wrong. (I opened this as I trained in entity, so thought it'd be rude not to reply lol) xxx

Lol! I think I'm going to have too! Never had this happen before ... Strange xx

Are you using the CND lamp and everything that goes with it? Do you wear it? How long does it last on you? Maybe you have to look at how thick you are applying it. Or maybe it's not actually your fault but the clients!

Are you applying it a little too thick at the free edge, compounded by sealing as well, leaving too much product in that area which could chip off?

Are you defo scrubfreshing the free edge?

Is it all clients or just a couple?

Colour Couture is a gel and applied differently. Try being a bit more sparing with the Shellac. hth x

Geeg has posted in the Shellac Lovers group detailing about how Shellac CANNOT be compared to any other coloured UV polish on the market. Shellac is one of a kind and is NOT a Gel. All these other UV polishes are. So that is the first thing, don't compare Shellac to any other service as it is unique and completely different and is not used in the same way.

As far as not getting more than 5 days wear out of your Shellac, then you need to go through your steps to determine where you might be going wrong. Like others have said above, are you using the whole system? Are you using the correct lamp? Are you doing a thorough PEP ensuring there is no cuticle on the nail plate and are you thoroughly "scrubbing" your nail plates with scrubfresh before application?

The application itself needs to go on just like a polish, thin to win. The first layer should look streaky, the second should look perfect. And you need to make sure you are sealing the free edge, not capping, with each layer.

How many clients are experiencing problems? If it is several, then it is something to do with your PEP or application as to why this isn't lasting more than 5 days. If it has only been 1 or 2, then it may be that Shellac just isn't suitable for them. It's rare but there are some people who cannot wear Shellac due to the condition of their natural nails.

Maybe if you talk us through your steps we can help pick up why this may be going wrong for you :hug:

Thanks guys.

I'm not comparing shellac to colour couture... I was asking why my clients got so long out of that and not shellac. I am using a CND lamp and doing everything you all say. It's not chipped with colour only French on 2 people. Everyone else has been fine! :s

Xx

Shellac is an alternative to polish and not an alternative to gel.

The reason why colour couture is lasting longer on your clients is because it is a gel while shellac is a polish.

You need to explain to your clients the difference between them and decide which to use accordingly.

Thanks guys.

I'm not comparing shellac to colour couture... I was asking why my clients got so long out of that and not shellac. I am using a CND lamp and doing everything you all say. It's not chipped with colour only French on 2 people. Everyone else has been fine! :s

Xx

Sounds like application.....try looking up Fingernail Fixer on Facebook. She has some amazing videos on Shellac application including one on chip prevention for French Shellac!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1970798221869

I have been using Shellac since it's launch and I love it. Of course I have a few hiccups along the way but all sorted now. I have just recently purchased Entity One Color Couture for a few of my clients who don't get great success with Shellac. I have a had a few teething issues with this product but after several applications and tweaking my techniques I am now getting great results. Loyal clients are very happy and are finally able to grow their nails!! So, don't give up. Hope that helps.

Thank you MissMG! Xx

Latest posts

Back