Shellac/Vinylux questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHNOR

Reaction score
hi,

i completed my manicure/pedicure qualification a couple of weeks ago. i have just opened my account with sweetsquared :D and have been pricing equipment etc... i am due to do my shellac one day course in two weeks time.

at the moment i'm working out price lists for my business and i have no clue where to start as i am new to this industry (holistic therapies are my thing) until i do my training at creative, i don't really have a clue about things :o and am wondering if you could help me with the following question;

1. can you do a shellac manicure? i wanted to offer a luxury spa manicure and then apply shellac (i will be using vinylux as my standard polish with mani's/pedi's) but before i add this to my price list, i need to know if it's possible, or will the nail be too wet?

2. as i said, i am pricing equipment, obviously i need my lamp and my polishes, top coat & base coat, but what else? if i get everything under the accessories section it seems like i'd struggle to make a profit! am i right in thinking i need scrubfresh, isopropyl alcohol, solar oil, shellac remover and shellac remover wraps? are there any other essential accessories that i need?

3. regarding manicure equipment do i just need cuticle remover, cutocle pusher, cuticle nippers, buffers and files?

4. regarding vinylux, do i just need the polishes & top coat? can the client remove this themselves with an acetone based nail varnish remover?

around my neck of the woods, shellac seems to be priced at £15 for hands, £15 for feet and £25 for both, so if i offer these prices i'm trying to work out what i would need to keep back from this money for future stock.

also, i rent a room, but am thinking of setting a nail bar up at home for shellac and mani's/pedi's. do those of you who do it from home find clients are happy to come to you and still find it comfortable and professional? i'm reluctant to go mobile, would rather do it from home if possible.

apologies for all the questions, i just want to be sure of things before i pay for the price lists.

hi,

i completed my manicure/pedicure qualification a couple of weeks ago. i have just opened my account with sweetsquared :D and have been pricing equipment etc... i am due to do my shellac one day course in two weeks time.

at the moment i'm working out price lists for my business and i have no clue where to start as i am new to this industry (holistic therapies are my thing) until i do my training at creative, i don't really have a clue about things :o and am wondering if you could help me with the following question;

1. can you do a shellac manicure? i wanted to offer a luxury spa manicure and then apply shellac (i will be using vinylux as my standard polish with mani's/pedi's) but before i add this to my price list, i need to know if it's possible, or will the nail be too wet?

2. as i said, i am pricing equipment, obviously i need my lamp and my polishes, top coat & base coat, but what else? if i get everything under the accessories section it seems like i'd struggle to make a profit! am i right in thinking i need scrubfresh, isopropyl alcohol, solar oil, shellac remover and shellac remover wraps? are there any other essential accessories that i need?

3. regarding manicure equipment do i just need cuticle remover, cutocle pusher, cuticle nippers, buffers and files?

4. regarding vinylux, do i just need the polishes & top coat? can the client remove this themselves with an acetone based nail varnish remover?

around my neck of the woods, shellac seems to be priced at £15 for hands, £15 for feet and £25 for both, so if i offer these prices i'm trying to work out what i would need to keep back from this money for future stock.

also, i rent a room, but am thinking of setting a nail bar up at home for shellac and mani's/pedi's. do those of you who do it from home find clients are happy to come to you and still find it comfortable and professional? i'm reluctant to go mobile, would rather do it from home if possible.

apologies for all the questions, i just want to be sure of things before i pay for the price lists.

1.You can offer a luxury spa manicure with shellac but do your shellac first and then the soak/scrub/massage etc etc afterwards.

2.You do indeed need all the things you have listed - I would also advise you to get cool blue hand sanitiser, cuticle away, sensations hand lotion and of course your mundo products or barbicide for disinfecting your tools.

3.It depends on your personal preference - you obviously need the essentials such as files etc but in terms of cuticle removal I use a pusher and a curette, others may use different tools such as a cuticle chisel. I also have cuticle nippers, nail clippers for fingers and toes and nail scissors.

4. You just need the colour coats and top coat as you will already have scrubfresh and cuticle away etc etc, the clients can indeed remove vinylux at home with an acetone based remover, or even better - shellac nourishing remover which I believe will be available in a smaller retailable size alongside scrubfresh in the future.

In terms of renting a room/being mobile/home salon - its all down to personal preference - as long as you are professional and good at what you do I dont think clients mind where you are!

£15 sounds quite low for shellac - where abouts are you? Make sure you charge what you are worth and dont take notice of what others are charging. Since putting my prices up two months ago I have been busier than when I was cheaper!

If you are unsure of pricing do an intro offer at £15 or whatever you choose - thats what I did, I soon realised I needed to be charging more than I was and because I had made everyone aware it was an introductory price list it was easy for me to increase my prices.

Hth

x

Sweet squared can provide you with a break down of cost per service for most of their products if you ask them for it. Remember to include things like tax, petrol, washing, electricity, wear of lamp etc as well as products when you're working out your costs.

Take a list of your questions to the Shellac training day with you not only can you ask the tutor but swap info with others on the course.

I charge £25 for basic Shellac. If I charged £15 I would be getting less than minimum wage per hour. CND are the best products and the best training. Don't sell yourself cheap.

Thank you ladies, really helpful. I'm in the North West, not too far from Liverpool. Will have to have a good think about price.

So, do we use cuticle away on our shellac clients? I assumed the nail would have to be completely dry?

Also, is vinylux ok to go on after a manicure, the nail doesn't have to completely dry?

Will definitely take a list of questions to training.

Thank you ladies, really helpful. I'm in the North West, not too far from Liverpool. Will have to have a good think about price.

So, do we use cuticle away on our shellac clients? I assumed the nail would have to be completely dry? You will cover this in your course - you use cuticle away, deactivate with soap and water and then dry the hands and nails thoroughly before using scrubfresh.

Also, is vinylux ok to go on after a manicure, the nail doesn't have to completely dry? I wouldn't soak the hands for too long and as with shellac you would make sure the hands and nails are dried thoroughly before using scrubfresh after deactivating the cuticle away.

Will definitely take a list of questions to training.

I've answered next to the questions x

Latest posts

Back