Shellac wearers-natural nail flaking?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOWIE

Reaction score
Hey there, Just wondered if anyone knows why my clients who wear shellac, their natural nail free edge starts to flake. My clients are blaming shellac and some even are having a break from shellac as their nail condition is so flakey and poor. Have recommended the solar oil but don't think they are using it. Any ideas how i can get them to use the oil or is even that whats causing the poor nail condition??

could be with some that there nails are getting to long but if they dont use the recomended after care (solar oil) then its down to them , dont recomend it TELL them :)

I sometimes have a problem with shellac on my nails and tried different nail techs, very very hard to remove (even in training class) the only conclusion I've come to is that I'm on HRT ? I asked my consultant if my nails are affected she said yes as well as your hair and skin.
She said hormones play a strong part and I may have to change all products if affected..
But that's just me, I found that shellac was fine at certain times (usually when hrt is low)
You never know but thought I'd share this, as it may not be you..,

I'm sure an expert will be along to advise on application etc soon x

I sometimes have a problem with shellac on my nails and tried different nail techs, very very hard to remove (even in training class) the only conclusion I've come to is that I'm on HRT ? I asked my consultant if my nails are affected she said yes as well as your hair and skin.
She said hormones play a strong part and I may have to change all products if affected..
But that's just me, I found that shellac was fine at certain times (usually when hrt is low)
You never know but thought I'd share this, as it may not be you..,

I'm sure an expert will be along to advise on application etc soon x

sounds strange , the remover soaks through the top , color and base Shellac this helps it to let go of the nail , a thick aplication , thick base coat curing base for longer than 10 seconds , not using the recomended removal prosess are all reasons I would consider ,

I provide a professionally printed Shellac aftercare leaflet using adapted wording that GiGi had put on here. It strongly focuses on aftercare with solar oil and that puts the onus with the client. Saying that, I have a couple of clients who on removal of the shellac their nails are quite dehydrated and flaky (they are more mature clients coincidentally) and with these I rub a drop of solar oil on the nail as I remove the old shellac and by the time all nails are done, I start PREP as normal. I do however reinforce on them the importance of putting solar oil on, including under the free edge. I can tell the difference easily between clients that regularly use solar oil, and those that don't. HTH xxxx

I get flakey nails off shellac, sometimes it even makes my shellac lift, it's even worse with normal polish though! Must just dry my nails out! But when I don't wear shellac my nails just break so I'd rather they peeled, ha

Thats really helpful to know thankyou. I may ask a few of my clients and see if that could be affecting them. Thanks :)

This computer keyboard is broken so i will reply when I get home. Keypad driving me crazy but thanks x

I have many clients with the same problem, i do think many people are too hard on their nails and will refuse to use the solar oil but my clients do 2 weeks of shellac then we do a 2 week break using nail tech everyday, my clients have found a massive improvment on their nails and the shellac is lasting them even longer. No client should leave without solar oil in my opinion ha :)

It's also been mentioned on a few similar threads that all nails have some degree of flaking or shedding that isn't noticeable, but this can't occur while wearing Shellac, so it builds up underneath and then is seen at removal, looking as though previously healthy nails have been damaged or weakened and causing clients to blame the product.
Just something else for your consideration x

and our nails tend to be come thinner and more prone to dehydrate as we age so the older ladies definatly need to use their solar oil religiously.

This is the repl I had given when this question was asked before, you may understand a little better as to why this happens.
Ok what you need to think about is this and all will be explained.
Shellac is a coating that in most cases stays on the nails for 14 + days.
Therefore any natural peeling (delamination) that occurs to the nails normally will not be removed naturally but will be held in place by the shellac.
It is not the shellac causing the peeling but the clients natural nails that normally peel and that gets removed with daily wear and tear.
The only reason that you and they are now noticing this peel is because the shellac has been preventing the normal wear and tear to occur. So the peel will be a larger surface area due to the growth since the product was applied and it not being able to come off naturally.
If there is a large amount of peel on the natural nail Pep as usual and the using the 1200 grit side of the koala buffer gently remove that peel, then go back in with the shellac base coat.
Nothing to panic about hun and it is not the shellac causing the peel, shellac is just making the peel more noticable as it cant shed naturally.
Also ensure you clients use their solar oil religiously every day.
Jen xxx

I provide a professionally printed Shellac aftercare leaflet using adapted wording that GiGi had put on here. It strongly focuses on aftercare with solar oil and that puts the onus with the client. Saying that, I have a couple of clients who on removal of the shellac their nails are quite dehydrated and flaky (they are more mature clients coincidentally) and with these I rub a drop of solar oil on the nail as I remove the old shellac and by the time all nails are done, I start PREP as normal. I do however reinforce on them the importance of putting solar oil on, including under the free edge. I can tell the difference easily between clients that regularly use solar oil, and those that don't. HTH xxxx
I hope you are not doing PREP but PEP. :lol:
Jen xx

This is the repl I had given when this question was asked before, you may understand a little better as to why this happens.
Therefore any natural peeling (delamination) that occurs to the nails normally will not be removed naturally but will be held in place by the shellac.
It is not the shellac causing the peeling but the clients natural nails that normally peel and that gets removed with daily wear and tear.
The only reason that you and they are now noticing this peel is because the shellac has been preventing the normal wear and tear to occur. So the peel will be a larger surface area due to the growth since the product was applied and it not being able to come off naturally.
If there is a large amount of peel on the natural nail Pep as usual and the using the 1200 grit side of the koala buffer gently remove that peel, then go back in with the shellac base coat.
Nothing to panic about hun and it is not the shellac causing the peel, shellac is just making the peel more noticable as it cant shed naturally.
Jen xxx

This makes sense, but can you explain why it doesn't happen under normal wraps or enhancements?

I don't think its only Shellac, I use Gelish and Gelicure and see more flakey nails now than I used to.

This makes sense, but can you explain why it doesn't happen under normal wraps or enhancements?

I don't think its only Shellac, I use Gelish and Gelicure and see more flakey nails now than I used to.
What do we do differently to the nails that we don't do with shellac?
We miss out the "R" in prep so we are not removing surface shine like we do with enhancements, plus when the clients come back for a rebalance we are not removing all the old product and starting over again.
That's why you do not see it when a client has enhancements on.
With wraps you are probably more than likely going to find the peel attatched to the underside of the wrap when you remove it.
HTH's
Jen xx

This actually makes perfect sense!! Things are much clearer now. Just releaved its not my technique as you do worry about these things. If clients is adamant they want their shellac off to give their nails a break, what would you recommend in the meantime. I have suggested still solar oil twice a day but if certain clients arn't doing it but still complaining their nails are bad, how am I ever going to get them bk for shellac? Bit of a nightmare. Any treatment basecoats i should retail to my ladies? xx

ps been using my koala board to remove the peel but was unsure if that was the right thing to do. Totally put my mind at rest, thnks Jen x:)

Jen xxx

Fantastic answer Jen :)

This actually makes perfect sense!! Things are much clearer now. Just releaved its not my technique as you do worry about these things. If clients is adamant they want their shellac off to give their nails a break, what would you recommend in the meantime. I have suggested still solar oil twice a day but if certain clients arn't doing it but still complaining their nails are bad, how am I ever going to get them bk for shellac? Bit of a nightmare. Any treatment basecoats i should retail to my ladies? xx
I recommend a CND Almond Spa Manicure every now and then after a Shellac removal,
have a break for 2 weeks,
ensuing they use Solar Oil day/night so the Oil gets into the natural nail directly.
Then after 2 weeks re-apply the Shellac it works great for my clients & they are all more than happy doing this, hope this helps 😊

Latest posts

Back