Shellac wearing away at the free edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happydays

Reaction score
Hi

Just after a bit of advice. I am new to Shellac. I have been doing it for a few months now just on myself & family. I have noticed that after about a week the Shellac seems to be wearing away at the free edge. It is very minimal but with the darker colours you can notice it. I do all the pep before hand and seal the free edge when doing each layer. Am i not doing the sealing right or is this normal due to washing hands etc. (I wear gloves when doing the dishes).

Any advice would be great
Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

If the Shellac is wearing at the free edge, it's not the application. I think it just normal wear and tear.

Iv applied shellac on my self twice and I my free edges are wearing off too

To avoid free edge wear, ensure you not only scub your scrubresh into the nails, but also scrubfresh under the free edge and sealing the base coat is really important, as the colour will follow where the base has gone.

Because the base coat is clear, it can be easy to miss this step, so take an extra few seconds to seal the free edge at this stage otherwise when you seal your colour it may wear away.

HTHs

Thanks. I will make sure i scrub fresh under the free edge aswell. On closer inspection of my nails it seems it is more my right hand that the colour is wearing away at the free edge. The left doesn't seem to have lost much colour. I am right handed so could it just be that i use that hand more? Or maybe i am not sealing the free edge as well because i am using my left hand to apply the polish? Just worried about this when i start to do clients.

I just accepted this as normal wear and tear, think of all the bashing our nails take when typing on a computer. Mine only ever really shows up coming up to the 2nd week, despite me swiping under nail with scrubfresh and flicking the Shellac over the free edge.

"Nails are jewels, not tools"

You can actually wear down any enhancement product over time and with over usage :)

All free edges can wear off slightly with use and with any nail product ... the fact is, that this wear is barely discernible except to YOU; no one else can see it nor would they notice it. If this happens to me, I just file the edge ever so slightly until I can't see it any longer. It helps me keep the length under control until it is time to re-Shellac them AND you should teach your clients to do the same as part of their home-care routine along with Solar Oil.

Thanks for your advice everyone. Glad is just normal wear & tear.

All free edges can wear off slightly with use and with any nail product ... the fact is, that this wear is barely discernible except to YOU; no one else can see it nor would they notice it. If this happens to me, I just file the edge ever so slightly until I can't see it any longer. It helps me keep the length under control until it is time to re-Shellac them AND you should teach your clients to do the same as part of their home-care routine along with Solar Oil.

Oh....does this not make them peel, I worry that the 'free edge' is no longer sealed, although I suppose if it is receding that means that that has already happened?!

Never made mine peel.x

I was literally just about to post the same as Geeg has. Mine wear at the free edge too but I'm heavy with my hands, always cleaning etc, so I just file them gently until they look brand new again and voilà! No more worn free edge :)

Never made mine peel.x

Mine either. When I did my Shellac experiment, on day 19 I cut and filed my nails and nothing lifted or peeled. :)

Oh....does this not make them peel, I worry that the 'free edge' is no longer sealed, although I suppose if it is receding that means that that has already happened?!

Sweetheart, if it made the Shellac peel I wouldn't be suggesting it would I? :)

We don't seal the free edge to stop peeling, we seal the free edge to make the polish look professional and to limit any shrinkage .. not to stop peeling. I usually file my nails every 5 days or so to keep the length the same as when I started so I don't risk breakage and so that they always look fresh and new.

Mine start wearing off after 4-5 days of wearing and then I get a slight bulge at the end of the free edge.. And when I look closely it as lifted but still lying on my nail plate unless I peel it off myself.. I'll try the filing method this time and see how it goes..

Mine start wearing off after 4-5 days of wearing and then I get a slight bulge at the end of the free edge.. And when I look closely it as lifted but still lying on my nail plate unless I peel it off myself.. I'll try the filing method this time and see how it goes..

If there is a bulge at the free edge then that is a sure sign that you didn't thin out at the free edge before curing. You must do that and then your troubles will be over. There is no way that Shellac should wear off at the free edge at 4-5 days unless you are subjecting them to unusual wear and tear.

Last edited:
If there is a bulge at the free edge then that is a sure sign that you didn't thin out at the free edge before curing. You must do that and then your troubles will be over. There is no way that Shellac should wear off at the free edge at 4-5 days.

I try to apply it as thin as possible.. I tried to upload a picture but salon geek didnt let me (administration won't allow) ill let you know if it happens again .. I do have bendy nails and was a nail biter but since using shellac I now have free edges woohoo..

Geeg; Would you do that with normal gel as well i also worried that it would break the seal alowing water etc to get underneath?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Geeg; Would you do that with normal gel as well i also worried that it would break the seal alowing water etc to get underneath?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek
Do you mean filing the free edge?

Try it and see on yourself. I don't use gel colour coats so I can't speak for how they would fare with filing but as the gel wears off the free edge on most clients anyway (as do all colour coats) then my assumption would be that it woud be perfectly fine to do it as long as the gel is not too 'rubbery' and the nails not too flexible.

Latest posts

Back