Shellac wearing away at the free edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Geeg i will have a go on mself as you say. ; )
Im currently wearing a red coloured gel and it is wearing at the edge. I'll see what happens if i do it on them.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Ok now I applied my shellac yesterday afternoon and in the evening its lifting from the free edge of my right hand but still intact... I cant even upload pics...

Whats going on?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Ok now I applied my shellac yesterday afternoon and in the evening its lifting from the free edge of my right hand but still intact... I cant even upload pics...

Whats going on?

You need to be a premium geek to upload images to the main forum. If not, you will have to send people to your album.

I too am an ex nail biter and con only have my nails a certain length or they start to bend and if they bend, then the colour coat is going to loosen ... same thing happens with gel. Maybe you are letting them get too long or are not using Scrub fresh over and under and along the free edge of your nails.

You need to be a premium geek to upload images to the main forum. If not, you will have to send people to your album.

I too am an ex nail biter and con only have my nails a certain length or they start to bend and if they bend, then the colour coat is going to loosen ... same thing happens with gel. Maybe you are letting them get too long or are not using Scrub fresh over and under and along the free edge of your nails.

Geeg, iv done very thing accordingly.. But still dont understand... How can I become a premium geek..then I can really show you whats going on..

Geeg, iv done very thing accordingly.. But still dont understand... How can I become a premium geek..then I can really show you whats going on..

If you ask that question in the site assistance forum they will tell you about becoming a premium geek. It helps the site with a small donation and in turn you can do some cool things. :biggrin: A way tha anyone can pay a little back for all the free help and assistance we get from thesalongeek.

If you ask that question in the site assistance forum they will tell you about becoming a premium geek. It helps the site with a small donation and in turn you can do some cool things. :biggrin: A way tha anyone can pay a little back for all the free help and assistance we get from thesalongeek.

Thats great thanks geeg..

Well, I have learnt something! Maybe because we call it capping the free edge, although it is actually swiping the free edge. I did think this was to seal the edge to help prevent it from chipping. Now I find out it is to just make the free edge look more professionally finished.
Why then when I have done alittle test, that my nails edges wear away/chip more quickly when I don't swipe the free edges than when I do. So surely, if I file in between treatments this could make the free edges wear quicker than normal. No quiet confused!!!

Well, I have learnt something! Maybe because we call it capping the free edge, although it is actually swiping the free edge. I did think this was to seal the edge to help prevent it from chipping. Now I find out it is to just make the free edge look more professionally finished.
Why then when I have done alittle test, that my nails edges wear away/chip more quickly when I don't swipe the free edges than when I do. So surely, if I file in between treatments this could make the free edges wear quicker than normal. No quiet confused!!!

One simple answer, that is common sense if you stop to think about it. Nails will wear if you are doing something that is wearing them. If something is wearing them then they are too long for whatever you are doing to them that is wearing the edges? Right?

Keep them shorter is the simple answer and they will not wear down! I keep mine filed down every few days, so they do not wear. They wear if they are too long because I type allot, I clean allot and I cook allot. I know what I do to my nails, so I keep them filed every 2-3 days. Admit what you do and stop trying to keep them too long.

Once you get it right, then filing the nails will not cause any detriment. Stop pushing the length beyond the point where they will wear! Simple.

Sweetheart, if it made the Shellac peel I wouldn't be suggesting it would I? :)

We don't seal the free edge to stop peeling, we seal the free edge to make the polish look professional and to limit any shrinkage .. not to stop peeling. I usually file my nails every 5 days or so to keep the length the same as when I started so I don't risk breakage and so that they always look fresh and new.

I'm really glad I read this because I thought that swiping the free edge was to prevent the polish peeling off! Is this the same with gel? Can I file the free edge without causing any problems to the enhancement?

I'm really glad I read this because I thought that swiping the free edge was to prevent the polish peeling off! Is this the same with gel? Can I file the free edge without causing any problems to the enhancement?
I use Shellac .. I don't use gel. When I tried out a gel to compare ( which I used for almost 3 months .. It wore badly on me, lifted, went dull and put me off gels) in comparison to Shelac. I get on just fine with Shellac and have never used any otheR product since. If you want to try it with gel then go for it.

I use Shellac .. I don't use gel. When I tried out a gel to compare ( which I used for almost 3 months .. It wore badly on me, lifted, went dull and put me off gels) in comparison to Shelac. I get on just fine with Shellac and have never used any otheR product since. If you want to try it with gel then go for it.
I meant hard gel for enhancements. Is it ok to file the free edge to keep the right length before rebalance?
I intend to use Shellac as soon as is humanly possible :):)

I meant hard gel for enhancements. Is it ok to file the free edge to keep the right length before rebalance?
I intend to use Shellac as soon as is humanly possible :):)

I have always regularly filed my nails between re-balances as part of my home care routine. I have never had any problematical results from doing so.

Last edited:
I have always regularly filed my nails between re-balances as part of my home care routine. I have never had ny problematical results from doing so.

That's good to know..thanks Gigi x

Thanks Geeg i will have a go on mself as you say. ; )
Im currently wearing a red coloured gel and it is wearing at the edge. I'll see what happens if i do it on them.

Hi just an update, i have filed my gel as you suggested Geeg and its all good even after long soaks in a bath with all that water no problem. Thanks for the info now my nails can look tidy between treatments without the worry off lifting etc.
P.S It is a soak of gel im using too.

When I have shellac on I too file my nails about every 3 days and never had a problem.
It's probably an illusion but it seems with shellac if I look at my nails long enough I will be able to see them grow. They just seem to grow quicker than with enhancements on.
'twilight zone music'
Vicki :) xx

When I have shellac on I too file my nails about every 3 days and never had a problem.
It's probably an illusion but it seems with shellac if I look at my nails long enough I will be able to see them grow. They just seem to grow quicker than with enhancements on.
'twilight zone music'
Vicki :) xx
Mine grow quickly too..I put gel enhancements on mine 7 days ago and the regrowth is already annoying me, I might do infills soon!!

My gel has split on my thumb. :(
My thumb nails always splits down the side walls lower than the smileline.
Any sugestions how i can stop this happening wud be appreciated.

Sent from my MT15i using SalonGeek

Enhance it or patch the area first with l&p. A uv cured polish/gel will not be strong enough to hold a nail that splits like that ... I know, I have one too lol.
I always re-inforce that area with a small thin patch of l&p and then Shellac. Works like a dream.

Both my thumbs have splits way down the nail. I did a patch with Brisa gel and a bit of tissue and over a week on still holding strong. I've only used tissue because it's me.
Vicki xx

Sweetheart, if it made the Shellac peel I wouldn't be suggesting it would I? :)

We don't seal the free edge to stop peeling, we seal the free edge to make the polish look professional and to limit any shrinkage .. not to stop peeling. I usually file my nails every 5 days or so to keep the length the same as when I started so I don't risk breakage and so that they always look fresh and new.

Can i ask if your likely to get lifting if you cut down the length of the free edge with clippers and then file.
Im refering to doing this with products such as shellac and gel over tips etc.

Latest posts

Back