Shellac wearing off after one day (pointed gel nails)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyg

Reaction score
Does anyone know why the shellac is wearing off the pointy free edge of my gel nail, after one day?? I understand that its a point and it will wear down more easily than a square nail for example. But after one day?? On many nails?

Ive tried buffing the free edge, and keeping it a little rough with a 150 grit. I've tried applying the shellac a little thicker and thinner. I've cured in the lamp with my hands upside down (to get all angels of the nail).

Ive tried used gel bonding under it. Also tried with and without shellac base coat (on top of gel).

Any ideas??

nails1.jpeg
nails2.jpeg

Welcome to Salon Geek.

Are you a qualified nail professional please?

Yes, i was trained with the LCN gel system, and been working part time for about a year now. However, in my most recent job we used mostly CND shellac and Light Elegance gels.

It’s possibly undercured. It looks too thick an application and especially for such a dark colour. Are you using a CND lamp?

I thought the same, undercured! Thats why I tried a full 60 sec cure with hand upside down. I tried a MUCH thinner and only one layer on the free edge, and it still happened. Im using an LCN lamp :oops:

I thought the same, undercured! Thats why I tried a full 60 sec cure with hand upside down. I tried a MUCH thinner and only one layer on the free edge, and it still happened. Im using an LCN lamp :oops:

The LCN lamp will not fully cure CND Shellac

I have no worries about being sued. I´m not working with nails professionally at the moment. I only do my own and my mother-in-law´s! ;)

Its so annoying that I used CHEAP Aliexpress lamps at my last salon job (not owned by me), and those worked great with CND shellac (most of the time)!! But my super $$$ LCN lamp can't cure shellac properly.o_O

I have no worries about being sued. I´m not working with nails professionally at the moment. I only do my own and my mother-in-law´s! ;)

Its so annoying that I used CHEAP Aliexpress lamps at my last salon job (not owned by me), and those worked great with CND shellac (most of the time)!! But my super $$$ LCN lamp can't cure shellac properly.o_O

Please read the thread above about lamps, you should always use the lamp that goes with your system :)

Thanks for the info! I did read the thread and it did enlighten me about the specific chemistry of the gel brands and the correspinding lamps. HOWEVER, with that said, I really enjoy trying new brands and products. There is always a special product or color that each brand has, that others do not! And obviously I cannot purchase a lamp for every brand. I always buy professional products for fear of fakes or poor quality or allergic ingredients, etc..

Has anyone experienced a particular lamp that COULD/DOES work well for MOST brands (in your personal experience)?

Thanks in advance! :)

Thanks for the info! I did read the thread and it did enlighten me about the specific chemistry of the gel brands and the correspinding lamps. HOWEVER, with that said, I really enjoy trying new brands and products. There is always a special product or color that each brand has, that others do not! And obviously I cannot purchase a lamp for every brand. I always buy professional products for fear of fakes or poor quality or allergic ingredients, etc..

Has anyone experienced a particular lamp that COULD/DOES work well for MOST brands (in your personal experience)?

Thanks in advance! :)

There are many, many posts where people ask this same question and the professional answer is always the same - no, unfortunately there is no lamp that can be recommended to cure every, or even most products. (Although some people try to tell you there is)
You have discovered this for yourself here - your black gel polish is undercured. (Incidentally, black is often a tricky one to cure). Having it chip from the free edge is the least of your worries though, you need to be more concerned about the very real risk of developing a life long allergy from over exposing yourself to undercured product.
I totally get that it's very tempting to want to try all the new products and colours that come out, (I'm always tempted too!), but it honestly is risky to do this if you aren't able to cure them properly. If you are just trying them out with a view to investing in a whole system, I believe the best advice (although still not ideal) would be to double cure, but as you've stated, you have already done this and it still hasn't cured, so it really does bring us back to only using the correct lamp.
I think we would all love a magic lamp that would cure everything though! :)

I’d remove the polish you’re wearing ASAP as if it is under cured, you don’t want it near your skin...

...I always buy professional products for fear of fakes or poor quality or allergic ingredients, etc..

The thing is, uncured product coming into contact with your skin WILL CAUSE allergies.
Once you develop an allergy to meth acrylates, it can negatively affect you having dental work and other vital medical treatments, surgery etc. due to the products they use containing these substances.

It’s not just us saying you must use the correct lamp for your system but the President of the British Society of Cutaneous Allergy, UK.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45129280

I’d remove the polish you’re wearing ASAP as if it is under cured, you don’t want it near your skin...

OH my gosh.. really?? Now Im a little scared. This has happened to me quite a few times and I´ve just left it on until Im ready for a refill (or until I cannot stand to look at it any longer)..

Will remove it tonight :S

The thing is, uncured product coming into contact with your skin WILL CAUSE allergies.
Once you develop an allergy to meth acrylates, it can negatively affect you having dental work and other vital medical treatments, surgery etc. due to the products they use containing these substances.

It’s not just us saying you must use the correct lamp for your system but the President of the British Society of Cutaneous Allergy, UK.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45129280

Thanks for the info!!

Latest posts

Back