Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarafina

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know the answers to the following:

Would using Shellac on a long term basis damage the nail plate?
(I did not think it did?).

Can you use crystals on Shellac?. If you can, would you add them after the 2nd colour coat?

S

If applied properly and maintained by the client, there is NO damage to the natural nails.

I'm sorry, I don't use crystals but I'm sure a more knowldegeable geek will be by, shortly. :)

Crystals can be used with shellac. I set mine into my last colour coat ( which works well for me) my colleague sets them into her top coat and this also works well HTH

I set my gems into the last color coat as well!

For the white spots, I find them typically to be from one of these things:
- soaking the Shellac off in a bowl
- buffing or filing on the nail surface
- Shellac being peeled or picked off
- client not using Solar Oil

Doug Schoon also made a fab post to that which makes sense as well:

"In my opinion, the problems that people are reporting with Shellac are not from exposure to acetone. If the removal directions are followed properly, these issues can be avoided. It takes 10 min. to soften the coating enough for proper removal... not 5 min. or 7 min.... 10 FULL min. Don't try to estimate or guess at 10 min., this should be timed with a timer. Why? Ask someone to close their eyes for 2 min. and raise their hands when 2 min. has passed. I've done this recently and most people raise their hand within the first minute. You can't guess at 10 min., this must be timed!

What can happen if less than 10 min. is used? White spots! Why? Two reasons: first, the coating hasn't been softened enough for easy removal, so nail technicians scrape the product from the natural nail.

In the last episode of Doug Schoon's Brain, I showed 3D images of what happens when this is done. The uppermost surface of the nail develops microscopic gouges that give a whitish appearance. When examined under high magnification it becomes clear that such spots are caused by scraping, even when a wooden pusher is used, so imagine what a metal scraper can do when wielded by impatient hands.

Secondly, under high magnification it's easy to see that not all the product is being removed from the nail plate. Small islands of product are left behind in thin layers. These also look like white spots on the surface.

"It's easy to blame the product". This is why I did the last Doug Schoon's Brain episode, so that people would understand that it is important to take the time to properly and carefully remove any type of products, including Shellac.

I know "time is money", but my research has shown that "impatience causes nail damage". That's something that everyone should carefully consider before attempting to remove any product from the natural nail, including nail polish, UV gels and liquid/powder.

Improper removal has always been a problem, at least for as long as I've been in the industry. Don't let that problem happened to you and/or your clients."​

Hope this helps :)

Shellac itself does not damage the natural nail. Products do not damage the nail, it is how they are applied or removed that causes the damage by an uneducated nail tech. Damage is permanent which no product does.

AMAZING!!! Well said..GO TEAM DOUG!! There is nothing sweeter than the words of the greatest industry guru to tell us like it is. Thank you FNFR for sharing.

That Doun Swoon sure is smart! :Love:

Just going back to the 10 full mins removal time - on Shellac Attack the educator told us all that in fact it only takes three mins ("but shhh I'm not supposed to say that")

No way am I taking her word over Doug though!

If applied properly and maintained by the client, there is NO damage to the natural nails.

I'm sorry, I don't use crystals but I'm sure a more knowldegeable geek will be by, shortly. :)
Hi,

Thanks so much for this advise.

I have had no damage from using or removing Shellac to my clients nails and always ensure that they are soaked for 10mins before I take off the wraps. The question was asked by a client who will be coming again tomorrow, so I am very happy to let her know that Shellac will not damage her nails long term!!.

Thanks again for the advise!. Sx

Latest posts

Back