shine on nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gracy

nutty geek
Reaction score
hello all, i seem to be having trouble getting a great shine on the nails, i have done a search but not sure what i am doing wrong.

i use solar oil and the opposite side of the koala buffer, go over with scrubfresh, then i go like THE CLAPPERS with the grey side of the girlfriend buffer but for some reason it does`nt shine like others i have seen.

i take it you dont oil and buff if putting a top coat on?

shropshiredawn said:
hello all, i seem to be having trouble getting a great shine on the nails, i have done a search but not sure what i am doing wrong.

i use solar oil and the opposite side of the koala buffer, go over with scrubfresh, then i go like THE CLAPPERS with the grey side of the girlfriend buffer but for some reason it does`nt shine like others i have seen.

I would have thought scrub fresh removes all the oil you've just applied? Is this the creative way?

shropshiredawn said:

Hi
are you graduating your grits and making sure you have removered all the demarcations and sratches from the nails?

if you arent graduating your grits it may be why you high shine isnt so shiney

when filing by hand after applying oil and rubbing it into the clients cuticles and nails, i used my sand shark (240 grit) which i think is similar grit to cnd koala course side i then go on to either my snow monkey buffer (chamois buffer) and miracle shine (buffing compound) or you can achive the same high shine with a killer whale or 3 way buffer like cnd girlfriend but it just takes a little bit more elbow greece....lol
i always oil nails whether i am applying topcoat or not

Jess
;)

Hi Sparklepink (what a great name!!)

I did a set of L&P yesterday and i had a problem as well - it didn't SHINE SHINE (if you know what i mean) - so you are not the only one - i was actually going to post this problem as well but you did it for me!

I dont use scrubfresh, but was told that if you put a bit of scrubfresh on the koala buffer and rub in this makes a difference????? (have not tried this)

Before i shine i use the solar oil - opposite side of the koala buffer and also use the girlfriend buffer - did this yesterday but did not work!!! it was also a bit patchy (only if you looked really closely though)

Once I have applied the oil and buffed in with koala or whatever you use, I then remove oil with scrubfresh and use all three sides of the girlfriend in order but for a final shine use scrubfresh on the shiny grey side of the girlfriend to get that real squeak.

Didi said:
Hi Sparklepink (what a great name!!)

I dont use scrubfresh, but was told that if you put a bit of scrubfresh on the koala buffer and rub in this makes a difference????? (have not tried this)

i dont use cnd products and have only heard abt using scubfresh on your 3 way buffer from Ruth and that was to do with competing, so ive nt tried it but im sure if others use it it might work

Jess
;)

shropshiredawn said:

Right babe lol..............
finish you nails and then oil them........
use the soft side of the koala = 1200 grit side...... the smoothest side and buff in the oil........
then scrubfresh the nail..............
use the black side first ......the roughest side.......and buff buff
then use the white side and buff.........slightly smoother side
Then wipe the grey side of your buffer..........the smooothes side .....
wipe it with a little scrubfresh....this gives grip between the buffer and the nail......then buff girl buff............
It never fails ...............!!!!

Didi said:
Before i shine i use the solar oil - opposite side of the koala buffer and also use the girlfriend buffer - did this yesterday but did not work!!! it was also a bit patchy (only if you looked really closely though)

what do you mean by patchy? It could be that you need to do some more refinements before you start the buffing, or is it the type of patchiness that is caused by working too wet?

I'm with ruth on the buffing method - works for me - just like glass!

Well, i do not use scrubfresh to get a shine but may give it a go if it saves my elbow grease!:lol: Here is what i do and it works for me.
I use a white block buffer, brush away any dust with a small dusting brush, then apply solar oil. Leave for a few secs then massage in well. I then use my girlfriend buffer, black, white then grey.
I find that my nails have a lovely shine.:D
Finally I finish with stickey and supershiney.
(All Creative/DN products of course.)

Hope this helps, i will have to try the scrubfresh tec though, love any new tips of the trade! What a great site this is!!!He He He!!!
I have tried to put s.oil on B4 i use the grey side of the buffer as thought it may shine quicker but found that the colour from the buffer came off onto the nails. Have not done it since! Has anyone else found that???:confused:

Ta Ta for now!

when you are finished your extension try: applying solar oil and buffing with a white block then applying some clear top coat!

never heard of using scrub fresh AFTER the solar oil...sounds strange to me as it will just remove all the oil you are trying to work into the nail!

I think that when you buff in oil it is to penetrate and provide flexibility of acrylic that is still polymerising. But when you remove the surface oil it is to get a good shine when buffing but also to help adhesion of base coat.

My understanding is that the koala buffer is desigened and has been specially treated to be used with cuticle oil on the 1200 grit side.

WFIW when I finished going over the surface of the nail with a 240 grit abrasive I brush dust, apply solar oil and buff in with 1200 grit koala, wash hands, scrub fresh then 3way buff.

thanks all for the advice,
i realise what i have been doing now, i have been using oil then the plain side of koala wiping with scrubfresh then using the grey side of the girlfriend, I HAVE`NT BEEN USING THE OTHER 2 SIDES OFTHE GIRLFRIEND DUH!
i put a set on myself late last night used all 3 sides and went over the grey with scrubfresh and i could put my face on using them as a mirror lol, they shine shine shine LOVELY!

hi

If you dont wipe your oil off before you use your girlfriend you will find it wont last you as it isnt designed tobe used with oil only the koala is.
HTH and saves some pennies!!

just a quik word 2 the wize..... after oil buffing with your koala(this helps to eliminate scratches on the enhancement surface). srcubfresh then use your girlfriend (or 3 way buffer).be sure to use the black and white side thoroughly as this will make it easier to get that high gloss shine.right before using the grey side use a little scrubfresh on the grey side of the buffer then proceed with buffing. i usually do this before i do each hand ,that way i get a brilliant shine on each hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back