Shingles - from my client's husband to my husband? Is that possible?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about shingles?

I've googled loads but can't seem to find an answer to this particular question . . . .

I have a client who was here early last week, whose husband presently has shingles (the blister stage)

My husband now has all the symptoms

Is it possible that my client could have "carried" the virus, and that I picked it up and also "carried" it and that I could have infected poor hubby?

It seems slightly farfetched but I don't know . . . and this guy is the only person (that we are aware of) who has shingles

Can anyone help? x

I believe that people can be carriers of the virus and not get ill so it is possible that you carried the virus to your hubby but it is also possible that he already had the virus in him and it has flared up now.

The link below has lots of info about shingles:

http://www.shinglesaware.co.uk/index.html

***Edited to say*** the facts on that site say you CAN NOT catch shingles from anyone else - you MUST have caught it from the chickenpox virus already in your body from you previously having chickenpox.

Last edited:
Has your hubby had chickenn pox? You can only get shingles if you have had chicken pox.

From the WebMD website:

Yes, shingles is contagious. Shingles can be spread from an affected person to babies, children, or adults who have not had chickenpox. But instead of developing shingles, these people develop chickenpox. Once they have had chickenpox, people cannot catch shingles (or contract the virus) from someone else. Once infected, however, people have the potential to develop shingles later in life.

Shingles is contagious to people who have not previously had chickenpox, as long as there are new blisters forming and old blisters healing. Similar to chickenpox, the time prior to healing or crusting of the blisters is the contagious stage of shingles. Once all of the blisters are crusted over, the virus can no longer be spread and shingles is no longer contagious.

Has your hubby had chickenn pox? You can only get shingles if you have had chicken pox.

Yup, he has. So a prime candidate then. If HE had done the ladies nails I could understand it a bit more but as I recall, it was definitely me :D

Quite a confusing thing to get your head around, shingles, by the sound of it.

Thanks so much x

Yup, he has. So a prime candidate then. If HE had done the ladies nails I could understand it a bit more but as I recall, it was definitely me :D

Quite a confusing thing to get your head around, shingles, by the sound of it.

Thanks so much x

Once they have had chickenpox, people cannot catch shingles (or contract the virus) from someone else.

My understanding is, you cannot catch shingles. He should be OK. :)

Once they have had chickenpox, people cannot catch shingles (or contract the virus) from someone else.

My understanding is, you cannot catch shingles. He should be OK. :)

this is CORRECT! I had shingles not long ago and this is exactly how the doctor explained it to me. It is very rare that an adult would not have had chickenpox and there for shingles does not spread to that person unless that person has NOT had chickenpox in which case they get CHICKENPOX and not shingles

x

Maybe he has been in contact with someone with chickenpox then. That would re-activate the virus in him, according to what I've been reading on the NHS site.

So my conscience should be clear then . . . . nothing to do with me at all.

No rash yet but still all the other symptoms. Very odd. Thanks for your advice. x

this is CORRECT! I had shingles not long ago and this is exactly how the doctor explained it to me. It is very rare that an adult would not have had chickenpox and there for shingles does not spread to that person unless that person has NOT had chickenpox in which case they get CHICKENPOX and not shingles

x

Yep you can definatly not catch shingles my friend had it the other week and even doctor said she could carry on working as normal x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Yep you can definatly not catch shingles my friend had it the other week and even doctor said she could carry on working as normal x

Although every single person who has responded to this thread agrees that you can't catch shingles I wouldn't have thought it good advice to go to work as normal as the shingles virus can pass the chickenpox virus to others.

I think people should steer clear of shingles and chickenpox as much as is possible until all sores have crusted over - I have been told that this is the point that they are no longer contagious.

Although every single person who has responded to this thread agrees that you can't catch shingles I wouldn't have thought it good advice to go to work as normal as the shingles virus can pass the chickenpox virus to others.

I think people should steer clear of shingles and chickenpox as much as is possible until all sores have crusted over - I have been told that this is the point that they are no longer contagious.

Yea the doctor said she could go to work and she works in a old peoples home as well, but she went against doctors advice and her employer let her have time off just to be on the safe side x

My mum has had shingles twice in the last year and hers was caused by stress. She was also told that its not contagious but was off work for roughly a month the first time (not incase of infecting anyone she was just too sore and tired).

Get your hubby to see his gp and see what they say. Hope he's feeling better soon!

Vicki :) xx

Thanks for all the posts!

I've been reading the NHS site and as you all say, you can't "catch" it as such . . . . because he's had chickenpox though, the virus will be lying dormant and just needs a "trigger" whatever that may be, to reactivate it and then it appears as shingles. He is a stresshead so maybe it's just that and nothing to do my client's husband at all!

It also says on there that if you have shingles to stay away from pregnant women (as they can catch chickenpox from shingles if they haven't had it before and it can cause birth defects if you have it whilst pregnant) and children under 1.

He still has the symptoms except for a rash, which could take a while to come out it seems.

Latest posts

Back