Shocked by cheap prices for MINX services!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minxymax

Reaction score
Hiya!!

I havent been on here for a while so i have got loads of questions for all you fellow geekletts... x

I have been doing MINX for over a year now and absolutley love them, but i have noticed recently that some of the local nail techs are charging £10 and other's £15 for MINX... I know that we can all charge what we like, but i think thats really cheap and i dont get why they would do it so much cheaper than the recommended retail price...

Do any of you charge this amount or have you noticed that some people are charging this price? Please can you explain to me why, cos i think im having a blonde moment cos i dont get it..

Thanks xx

I'd like to know how they can do minx so cheap too, it just ruins it for the rest of us when techs are doing it at this price:confused:

ahh ive noticed this but lucky enough my sister in laws sister does nails too and she is calling it minx when it is actually "trendy nail wraps" which are alot cheaper than the minx as the wraps work out to cost you about **a set where as minx are about ** a set.
so i think there claiming them to be minx when they are actually trendy nail wraps.
but i charge 30.00 for a full set of new minx or 22.00 for infils with minx as i put gel ontop of them.
another suggestion maybe that there just putting minx on there natural nail covered with top coat :) x

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Have you seen their work? Does it last?

One thing I will say is that they may be using it as a "loss leader". Get people in doing something at cost or cheaper knowing they will get people in the doors and then get rebookings for other things if their service is good.

One of the girls in our salon went to get Minxed at another salon (as we don't offer it yet). 2 days later, she already had to go back that day and get 2 replaced, by the time I saw her she had another start peeling!
She's not a picker and she is on reception rather than in oil etc all day so there's nothing really that can make it peel (besides, she'd been off that week). When she was talking to the girl who was doing it she asked what training she'd done, the girl just sort of shrugged and said "to be honest you don't really need to do the course it's really easy".
Maybe the places charging zilch just sent one girl on it and the others learnt from that girl (chinese whispers is never accurate!) and therefore can just bang them out bish bash bosh. They might not get much repeat custom? They may not be of a good enough quality.

I saw that the same salon charged "£20 for a Minx Manicure" although when I spoke to our girl she said they did no "manicure" just stuck the minx on. Didn't do her cuticles or anything or massage.

Do you do a full manicure on your clients with the minx? Do yours last? Do you get repeat custom? These are all important factors on choosing your pricing. Don't underprice yourself if you feel you are worth that price.

Lilypip.xxx

And I worry I'm too cheap at £25! Touch wood I've not noticed anyone selling them at stupid prices yet, no doubt it will happen.

becky_1992- I charge my price based on doing it on natural nail- with no top coat at all and still couldn't afford to offer it at stupid prices, it wouldnt be worth my while.

Hiya! Thanks guys for replys..x
I do Minx nails and toes for £25 just applied to the natural nail plate (no top coat) which has and is working great.. But then this last month i have noticed a couple of people doing it for ridiculously cheap and then one of my clients bought in a price list for someone that does her facials and she it shows on her pricelist £10 for minx or £29 for deluxe pedi and minx, so it wwas reeeeally embarrasing cos i charge £40 for a pedi and minx and that includes a £10 discount.. I said to my client that i couldnt understand why she would do this etc and i said i use the best products i can and that is how i justify my prices and she was happy... But still very embarrasing .. Yes they are proper minx cos the lady described the funky flowers design etc and the other nail tech that is doing it is advertising on facebook and the designs are definelty MINX cos the pictures are on her business page....
soooooooo frustrating.....xxx

I have offered minx at £15 but its only because I went overboard when buying minx and ended up with about 20 designs nobody wanted and to get rid of them I offered it at £15 for those designs only! It certainly got rid of them as I usually charge £25! I also learnt my lesson as to not buy so much at the one time and only buy a few to keep in stock and just order in what I need for clients!
But I really dont understand people who can charge so much less, they will harly make any money on it! And makes it more difficult for everyone else as some people only go for the cheapest options!

Hi,

I offered minx and intro price for £15 (as another mobile tech was on my patch at this price) - since then other lady has seen my ads she offering crazy deals for friends (ie buy 3 get 1 free) and quotes to completed the minx in 20 mins. Its really annoying as I was trained to prep the nail and remove cuticles etc and it takes me about 40 mins. Ive since gone back to £18 as I know my minx lasts the full 4-6 weeks and im getting regulars coming back. I also think the offers of cheap prices and deals can make it look desperate - its these people who are runining it for everyone!!!

Dont under charge as I tried it and by the time I had taken petrol into account and my time I was hardly making anything - if you work is good and lasts people will return

:)

I had my toes Minxed today for the first time and I absolutely love them.

The price was £22 and after the therapist told me how much Minx costs her (I know her well so this wasn't inappropriate!!) I couldn't believe how little profit there is for a minimum half hour treatment.

A quick investigation tells me Minx goes for £22-£25 in this area.

I'd love to offer Minx once I've completed my pedicure training but am quite put off by the lack of profit (half of what I'd make on a single spray tan taking twice the time). We'll have to see how it goes......

xx

Heya Minxymax,

I'm local! Well I've just left a salon in Bournemouth town to set up my own salon nearby and I've done lots of sets of Minx mobile-to keep me cash flow going!-for what I consider a 'professional price' I charge £20 for the application on fingers, £25 with a mini manicure (removal of old polish, cuticles and hand massage.) and £25 application on toes, £30 mini pedicure (quick foot soak, cuticles and foot massage.)

There are alot of salons/ mobile techs I've seen doing things cheap but I'll do things for what I'm worth, I wont hack the rrp of my dermalogica, wont ever do a spray tan for £10 and I've just stopped justifying my wedding makeup prices, quality training and products are worth paying for and so is a quality treatment. xx

Hello,

Have you seen their work? Does it last?

One thing I will say is that they may be using it as a "loss leader". Get people in doing something at cost or cheaper knowing they will get people in the doors and then get rebookings for other things if their service is good.

One of the girls in our salon went to get Minxed at another salon (as we don't offer it yet). 2 days later, she already had to go back that day and get 2 replaced, by the time I saw her she had another start peeling!
She's not a picker and she is on reception rather than in oil etc all day so there's nothing really that can make it peel (besides, she'd been off that week). When she was talking to the girl who was doing it she asked what training she'd done, the girl just sort of shrugged and said "to be honest you don't really need to do the course it's really easy".
Maybe the places charging zilch just sent one girl on it and the others learnt from that girl (chinese whispers is never accurate!) and therefore can just bang them out bish bash bosh. They might not get much repeat custom? They may not be of a good enough quality.

I saw that the same salon charged "£20 for a Minx Manicure" although when I spoke to our girl she said they did no "manicure" just stuck the minx on. Didn't do her cuticles or anything or massage.

Do you do a full manicure on your clients with the minx? Do yours last? Do you get repeat custom? These are all important factors on choosing your pricing. Don't underprice yourself if you feel you are worth that price.

Lilypip.xxx

Hi Lilly I never done the course at first and only went on to do it as it was a free workshop at the cnd academy in leigh and wanted the cert u get for attendance, everything that was covered I already knew, I custom cut some minx and mine always last 6 weeks+.

I call mine a minx mani pedi as I soak feet whilst setting up then procede onto prep then minx away,,finish with little bit of oil massaged in but only very quick,, in all maximum 40mins 30 mins if I get my head down and zip the mouth and talk to the feet or hands. xx

I can see quite a few of you are offering a mini pedi Inc soaking the feet proir to applying your minx!! I wouldn't see this as the best idea as the water causes the nail 2 swell slightly so do you really want that before applying your minx I find dry nails with no moisturiser no oil ect are the best way to go in order to get absolute maximum from your minx!! x

Hi I charge 25 for minx, I used to be the only one in my town doing minx but now 7 others are doing minx or the trendy wraps etc, some are a few pounds cheaper than me but im not budging on my price as i know mine last.

Heard a gym near me is offering minx for 15 and one of my clients had them done as i said i fully understand if someone wants to save 10 pound go ahead so she did............. oh my god........... NOT minx as she is claiming and they were hanging off the toes, not trimmed properly at all, and they were stuck to the skin down the sides and cuticle LOL Im not concerned at all after seeing the 'botched' job.

The only thing that concerns me is what is it saying to unsuspecting clients who dont know any better after seeing this girls work .................'' Minx are crap and dont last '' and that gets me frustrated and mad, anyway at least I know i use REAL minx and I can apply profesionally
sam xx

I had my toes Minxed today for the first time and I absolutely love them.

The price was £22 and after the therapist told me how much Minx costs her (I know her well so this wasn't inappropriate!!) I couldn't believe how little profit there is for a minimum half hour treatment.

A quick investigation tells me Minx goes for £22-£25 in this area.

I'd love to offer Minx once I've completed my pedicure training but am quite put off by the lack of profit (half of what I'd make on a single spray tan taking twice the time). We'll have to see how it goes......

xx

I don't think you know enough about it .. Lack of profit?? You must be joking! :lol: Especially when you can get 2 to three treatments out of the one sheet!

Minx is one of the most profitable treatments we do in the salon. Do your sums properly and get the right info from the distributor and I think you will find you are completely wrong. Your friend sure did not give you all the info.

I don't think you know enough about it .. Lack of profit?? You must be joking! :lol: Especially when you can get 2 to three treatments out of the one sheet!

Minx is one of the most profitable treatments we do in the salon. Do your sums properly and get the right info from the distributor and I think you will find you are completely wrong. Your friend sure did not give you all the info.

Absolutely agree! I charge £25.00 with mini mani or pedi. I easily get 2 sets out of them, sometimes 3. The little bits I save and use on my kids parties. Profit is there if you price yourself correctly. :hug:

Absolutely agree! I charge £25.00 with mini mani or pedi. I easily get 2 sets out of them, sometimes 3. The little bits I save and use on my kids parties. Profit is there if you price yourself correctly. :hug:

And buy from the correct distributor. I think some people that say there is no profit must not buying from S2 or authorised distributor.

Yeah I was thinking the same when i read that post i totally agree with you geeg xx

I can see quite a few of you are offering a mini pedi Inc soaking the feet proir to applying your minx!! I wouldn't see this as the best idea as the water causes the nail 2 swell slightly so do you really want that before applying your minx I find dry nails with no moisturiser no oil ect are the best way to go in order to get absolute maximum from your minx!! x

I prefer to quickly soak feet as I am not very keen on working with hot sweaty feet sometimes with fluff dirt stuck inbetween lateral sidewalls etc. GROSS:green: I much prefer little soak with citrus fresh or marine soak, I apply cuticle eraser with blob of solar oil ontop then pop in water 2-3 mins, works great for me. I remove shine and ensure I scrub well with little scrub fresh,, never had anyprobs with them not lasting more than 4-5-6 weeks but most clients get them removed after 4 for new design. I find a little soak and bit of solar oil before re-applying is great for the natural nail as sometimes they have little dehydration patches if been coverd for 2-3 months so adding little bit of moisture back before re minxing works great for me. xxx

If you aren't buying from an authorised source, you'll be paying out the wazoo per sheet.

RE: People undercutting... people will get what they pay for. Either they are using a Minx knock off and/or not prepping the plate at all and/or are allergic to income.

Last edited by a moderator:
I charge £35 for a minx mani or minx Pedi, I get my minx from the authorised distributors S2 and I am just got my 3rd set out of the flower ones for toes. Little profit? Um I dont think so, the first treament more than covered my time and the original purchase price the next 2 treatments were pure profit... If you sell Minx as it should be "A premium" service then the profits are what you should suspect, if you dont charge correct you lose out big time...
At the end of the day its your business and your profits you are throwing down the drain charging rediculous prices in the first place
Jen

Latest posts

Back