Shoes on or off mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eloise86

Eloise86
Reaction score
Hi guys, when I do mobile lots of ppl expect me to take my shoes off when I ether their house, hair is then cut and sticks to my socks then gets in my shoes, should I say no when they ask me to take them off? I also have issues with chairs, most people have really high backed chairs that get in the way even if turned to the side, what do you guys do or am i just being petty?

Hi Eloise,
I tend to take my shoes off to colour but just say do you mind if I keep my shoes on to cut for the hair/socks reason. I've not had anyone say no. The only other thing I can think is to get some show covers maybe? A lot of people tend to have their hair done in their kitchen/bathroom and is usual vinyl or tiled flooring so it shouldn't matter. If they have carpet between the rooms maybe ask if it's okay for you to put your shoes back on once you reach the kitchen?
Regarding the chair I usually just ask the client to turn round when I need to get the the side where the back of the chair is in the way. It's just a disadvantage of being mobile but you get used to it.
Hope that helps xx

I always tens to take my shoes off, but when it comes to cutting I just ask if I can put them back on again and clients don't mind. With regards to chairs that's just the down side of mobile , I just turn them around and make do, I have a stool in my car just in case , but it's quite uncomfortable. X

Easy... take slippers / indoor shoes with you. I have ballet pump type slippers with soft soles. :) And take your own chair. My mobile hairdresser has a folding height adjustable stool she brings with her.

I was going to suggest the same as above - maybe take some pump like slippers that you can change into indoors?

Thanks guys, the chairs I'm finding aren't adjustable and look tall, I'm short so would need adjustable chair, can you send a link to any? I'm in the uk, I'm gonna end up taking 3 suitcases round to ppls houses, wish ppl were more realistic when they have things done at home xx

Take flats or slippers. It's really bad to get a hair stuck in your foot/feet. I've had a hair stuck in my toe twice now, just from the hairdresser in the salon. I do nails and the hair blows my way.
Seriously, keep your feet covered.

You should provide the chair. I don't have a table & chair kitchen set in my house so if someone came to me they'd have to bring one... I do have fold away chairs simply because I am a nail tech at home but before I was I only had my sofas to sit on.

I do take my shoes off whilst going from the door to the kitchen however I never take my shoes off whilst cutting . 3 years ago I never wore shoes whilst cutting in people's homes until I got a hair under my toe nail and oh boy the pain and swelling was horrendous. In the end my very good friend who's a doctor had to put a hot pin through the nail to give me relief and to calm the swelling. It put me out of action for a week and yes I did lose the toe nail. So if somebody does ask me to remove shoes I just put a plastic shoe cover over my feet. However clients never usually say anything so I've never been put on the spot to remove my shoes

I do take my shoes off whilst going from the door to the kitchen however I never take my shoes off whilst cutting . 3 years ago I never wore shoes whilst cutting in people's homes until I got a hair under my toe nail and oh boy the pain and swelling was horrendous. In the end my very good friend who's a doctor had to put a hot pin through the nail to give me relief and to calm the swelling. It put me out of action for a week and yes I did lose the toe nail. So if somebody does ask me to remove shoes I just put a plastic shoe cover over my feet. However clients never usually say anything so I've never been put on the spot to remove my shoes
Wow! Sounds painful! Do you take a chair too? Or am I the only one who doesn't? X

Wow! Sounds painful! Do you take a chair too? Or am I the only one who doesn't? X
I do have a little foldable chair however I only use this if the client doesn't have a suitable chair. I.e. Incase there chairs are too low or too high backed

I have had clients ask me to take my shoes off and I have refused on the grounds of:

1) health and safety: if anything sharp drops on my feet they need protecting and to stop slips and falls.

2) personal safety: if I need to leg it for any reason I can do it quickly and safely in shoes or if I need to defend myself I can do it with more force with soled feet.

I have had clients ask me to take my shoes off and I have refused on the grounds of:

1) health and safety: if anything sharp drops on my feet they need protecting and to stop slips and falls.

2) personal safety: if I need to leg it for any reason I can do it quickly and safely in shoes or if I need to defend myself I can do it with more force with soled feet.
Reason 2 cracked me up laughing

Reason 2 cracked me up laughing
As an ex police officer I can honestly tell you that if you need to flee quickly for your own safety its best doing it in shoes, than run down the street where there's gravel and glass on pavement r in socks or bare feet

Working mobile in people's homes is risky especially if you are a lone worker, you should never put yourself in a vulnerable position or in a position where it may make it difficult to defend yourself with reasonable force or make a quick and safe escape.

If you are being attacked it may not be posible to get to your car straight away when parked at a clients home, so you have make sure you can run to safe place first and then return for your vehicle when it's safe.

Last edited:
You should position yourself between the client & the door too, so they can't block you in a room.

eBay will sell those plastic shoe covers they make you use in show homes, it's a business expense so you can reclaim it on your tax return.

I never thought in a million years that that would happen... something else to think about xxxx

Latest posts

Back