Shoeshine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natsel

Reaction score
Is this a popular service in the salon or do any mobile stylist use this technique?. If you do this do you find it quicker than the cap h/l or even foiling and also what are the pros and cons to this.

any info would be great :)

i never got the hang of doing shoeshines with the foil , would always apply too much colour or not enough . ON shorter hair or mens hair i find it easier to apply freehand with gloves twisting it in or to apply to a comb and comb it through. I always find its better to use a higher peroxide as well , as mens hair never seems to lift as much

Hi , same as Liana , I am a free hand Gal, and I think its ok for really light hair

but as for polishing the bleach on with foil I find the bleach dries out quicker than it lifts which can result in gingery bits ,
and re applying it all the time defeats the shoe shine look,

I think scottydolly mentioned quite a good twisty one that he likes
in his posts somwhere :)

Thanks both for your reply, I was interested to find out as on short hair I use either the cap or I use my hands or I use the comb paint it on and comb through etc

anyway one of our regular male customers(bosses godson) came in and had gone else where purely because he was away on his hols and wanted it done a.s.a.p.

He came in and had, had this shoeshine technique on his hair , his hair is a base of 5, its a lovely dark brown and he likes his highlights very light, well I don't know what happened but it was very patchy and uneven and the coloured tips were orange and I mean carrot colour, he had to wear a hat and drove back from where he was staying to have it corrected (he refused to go back to where he had it done to get it corrected ), we did tell him off as it was an expensive lesson learnt plus as it was the bosses godson so we could tell him off about it.:lol:

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining about the technique Ive learnt about it tried it and found it wasnt for me but was interested to know what other hairdressers thought about it , as some techniques works for some and not for others.

thanks again

Last edited:
hi i love the shoeshine method on gents.... it is quick, easy and effective, only thing is not good for red heads as the bleach does dry out pretty quick so obv you won't get enuff lift on it!
but freehand is cool too as you can only problem i have with that is it's get a bit messy where as shoeshine is a clean way to do it
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back