Short hair - colour dilemma

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angel87

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a lady who has half a head foil highlights, 2 bleach foils to 1 9/0 foil. Her natural hair is a 5.

On top her hair is very blonde and she really hates the contrast to her natural hair. But she has a short cut, long on top but cut into the neck.

I foil the top/sides no problem but she wants me to foil her whole head, I know I wouldn’t be able to get foils in the back - it’s far too short and it would look spotty.

What can I do to lighten up the back?

She has had it tinted before but throws out way too much warmth.

And if I were to bleach it all I think it would look odd plus she wouldn’t pay for the regrow then every 4 weeks.

I really don’t know what to suggest to her. Any help much appreciated x

What brand do you use? You can base break her natural at the backwash

I use wella, how do I do that?

I use wella, how do I do that?
I have used colour touch sunlights /18 +4% to do this but I probably only get 1/2 to 1 levels of lift, but still it's cool.
I have never used anything for base breaking as I've never really been sure what will work, my boss has never even heard of it before .

I would use a comb with wider teeth than a cutting comb like this:
41jHni20Y5L._SY355_.jpg
Paint on to the comb with color brush some 20-30vol+ bleach & just comb through the back area. This way you will have some of the natural still in there so it's not so solid looking. Apply a fair bit in sections or you will only paint the surface hair. Best if the short areas are pre cut into her style so you see where the color goes & toner match to the top or tone a little darker.

There’s always going to be a huge contrast between level 5 roots and 9/10 mids/ends onwards after about 3 weeks depending on the rate of hair growth. This will be exacerbated with having a short haircut.

She either needs to make the darker regrowth part of the overall style or accept that she has to spend time and money on regular upkeep to keep the blonde looking fresh.

Thank you
I just feel like I’m failing to give her what she wants when in fact I can but she isn’t prepared to pay the maintenance

Have you suggested lowlights through the top to connect it all?

Thank you
I just feel like I’m failing to give her what she wants when in fact I can but she isn’t prepared to pay the maintenance

Exactly! It’s not your problem that she wants a certain look but isn’t willing to pay for it.
Be firm about what you can offer for the price point and then let her choose.

Latest posts

Back