Short hair - Extensions fitted?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janie6777

Reaction score
Hi all, What is the shortest length of hair that your have fitted extensions to and what did the finished look look like? Have a client who desparately wants her one and a half inch hair extended? Will this just look totally out of place or could it be realistic if she has a funky style choppy style? Any comments or advice would be appreciated as I have never attempted extending such short hair! I am a qualified hairdresser so cutting will not be a problem. Thanks

I wouldn't do it. I was taught that extensions should not be fitted in hair any less than 4 inches and even then sometimes I think it's 2 short 2 look decent.
Just my opinion tho but I've been doing extensions for 11 years and also a hairdresser
X

Same as Bliss1.
Been fitting hair since 2003/4 and been a hairdresser since 1995 and would not fit in hair that short.
Apart from it looking awful (ive seen a few walking around!) clients are your advert so it wouldnt do your rep as an extensionist very good.
x

i wouldnt fit it to hair that short the end result wouldnt look good - i was also taught at least 4-5" but agree even then its hrd to get a good blend xx

I have fitted hair extensions in three inch hair full head, got a pic if you wanna see

I have fitted hair extensions in three inch hair full head, got a pic if you wanna see

How long did you take it hun? I have done it in about 3 inch also but didn't go too long so as to be able to blend it in still. I'd be interested in seeing your pic :D x

Hi Lancashirelass, yes I would love to see your photo :)

Thanks for your replies, keep them coming ............... I appreciate all or your knowledge and experience when it comes to extensions as have only been in the business for 6 months and want to keep my standards high :)

oh crikey I wouldnt do it. It would look like Britney Spears' dodgy attempt at extending her skin head :eek: You'll only make yourself look bad if you do it. If she wants them that bad sell her treatments to stop breakage and stimulate growth then tell her to use those for a few months before re assessing.
I extend only on 5" or longer.
xxx

I have also done extensions on 3 inches with the racoon hair in recovery programme, most clients from this were the same. Yes there is a slight shorter tufft at top but the hair I use is amazing and if some properly looks fab, I had to go right up to the top and leave just an inch from the parting and do micro bonds around hairline and especially at the top, saying all this I would still advise her to grow it a little more as it is easier for you and better for her, all of my clients had no choice they had lost their hair it was more a matter of getting away from there trauma

i wouldnt personaly try it but id love to see the photo of the client that the lady above said she did. i would have thought the hair would of had to be longer ? xx

I too would love to see Denise's photo... I have done some once a few years ago that was 3-3 1/2 inches but didn't go too long so would like to see how she did hers, bet they look fab!

I have been trying all afternoon to upload an album onto my profile but it won't let me :rolleyes:

I will see if I can upload straight onto here x

You know when the style was to shave the side of the head above the ear?

I done a full head on a girl with her hair shaved but had grown out to about an inch or so... it looked good, but only because she was prepared to move her parting to the side slightly so the longer natural hair would cover the bonds. It did look good on her, but i could tell that one side was slightly thinner (not obvious).

I think the idea of not fitting extensions into short hair is 1 the pressure and tension 2 trying to blend them and 3 you need the length of the natural hair to cover the bonds

The girl was very happy with her hair - I have not fitted the same to any other client since though because it was a lot for the girl to have to style her hair completely different and a few did fall out due to slipping, the hair only has a small way to move until they can fall out. x

Please excuse the quality of these pics... really couldn't be bothered to rig up the scanner so just took a photo (with my phone may I add) of an old portfolio shot.... Yes, it is a hard copy photo, from the olden days before digital became available to all!!! :biggrin:

hair extensions 004.jpg

hair extensions 007.jpg

They look great!!

Thanks... I wouldn't go any shorter than that though and it had to be really layered to look natural, but I, and my client, were pleased with the result.

Still want to see Lancashirelass' photos though as I appreciate her experience and knowledge... as I am sure many others do too. :Love:

It's on my Facebook somewhere can't find it but will keep trying

Latest posts

Back