Short nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeders

Reaction score
I've got a client booked in for Saturday who wants French Shellac - problem being she has really short nails, probably a couple of mm growth from free edge. When I did my bring em back training, my model had short nails like this and I did really struggle doing the French without getting the cream puff on her skin. The trainer told me that I was over-worrying and I just needed to remove this after application, but before curing with a brush dipped in d-sperse, which I did. I'm just wondering how many of you use this trick and whether you think it looks unprofessional. She's a new client so I don't want to give her any reason to not become a regular. Thanks in advance :biggrin:

I've got a client booked in for Saturday who wants French Shellac - problem being she has really short nails, probably a couple of mm growth from free edge. When I did my bring em back training, my model had short nails like this and I did really struggle doing the French without getting the cream puff on her skin. The trainer told me that I was over-worrying and I just needed to remove this after application, but before curing with a brush dipped in d-sperse, which I did. I'm just wondering how many of you use this trick and whether you think it looks unprofessional. She's a new client so I don't want to give her any reason to not become a regular. Thanks in advance :biggrin:

For me, it's the finished product that matters. However, I always feel unprofessional doing it. I think there's not many techs who avoid a blob or
Two on the skin and tidy it up, esp with cream puff- I would rather get it everywhere to ensure I've sealed the free edge and got it thin and have to tidy up than get service breakdown. Shellac French makes me have palpitations!! X

On really short nails, I decant some Cream Puff onto a tile/thumb palette, and apply with my Crystal nails Short fine detail brush. I find I can control the amount I use by doing this.

But also, I would definitely use IPA on a brush to clean up if I had too...better than curing onto the skin! xx

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

Me too! Always get it on the skin but the finish looks well😊
I sometimes try & hold the finger so my thumbs nail is kinda under the clients nail, that way, it ends up on my nail!! Am I making sense? 😣

Me too! Always get it on the skin but the finish looks well��
I sometimes try & hold the finger so my thumbs nail is kinda under the clients nail, that way, it ends up on my nail!! Am I making sense? ��

Yea I know what you mean, but I'm not very good at that I'm afraid, find it all a bit cumbersome!!

Does anyone use a form which slides under the nail to catch any stray colour? I've seen this done on youtube, but again, I can't quite manage to seal the free edge this way. It all looks easy when someone else is doing it!!

I think I'll just go with everyone's comments and keep in mind, it's the finished look that matters and just explain to my client (if it gets messy!) that it's due to the nail being so short (without making her feel bad, of course).

Is it possible to get a form underneath the nail to catch the mess, instead of the finger?

On really short nails, I decant some Cream Puff onto a tile/thumb palette, and apply with my Crystal nails Short fine detail brush. I find I can control the amount I use by doing this.

But also, I would definitely use IPA on a brush to clean up if I had too...better than curing onto the skin! xx

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

Good solution, I might need to practice this in time for my next client !!

Is it possible to get a form underneath the nail to catch the mess, instead of the finger?

I can't remember who on youtube it was that I saw using this method- it was years ago now, but as I say it always looks easy when someone else is doing it lol !!

If you're really struggling, you can use a dotting tool rather than a brush :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

How do you cap the free edge on really short nails? x

I decant a little polish onto a tile and then use a fine detail brush. Depending on the nails I can then cap some of the free edge. I've found you can't always fully cap on really short nails but with the detail brush I've been able to cover the edge a little

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I used a detailing brush in the end as there really wasn't much nail to file let alone put the white on! She told me she's been to 2 other salons and after they did french once for her, when she went back to have removed and 're applied they said they didn't have any white and would she like a full colour. She said she thought they found it too much like hard work to do her French cos her nails are so short. It turned out she struggles to grow her nails cos they're really really thin and bendy, flaking at the free edge as well. I felt so sorry for her, so when she comes next time I'm gonna introduce her to BL Smoothing gel and do the French on top - hopefully get some growth and strength going on. She left with her solar oil with strict instructions to use as often as she can (she already wears gloves). Any other advice anyone can give would be greatly received.

Do you have IBX?

I sometimes use a dotting tool for really short French nails. Especially on toes.

Dashing Diva French wrap may be a solution until she gets a bit of length :?:

Do you have IBX?

I sometimes use a dotting tool for really short French nails. Especially on toes.

No I don't have IBX unfortunately. I got on OK with detail brush to be honest, I just want to get some growth and strength so she can have "nicer" nails - for her.

No I don't have IBX unfortunately. I got on OK with detail brush to be honest, I just want to get some growth and strength so she can have "nicer" nails - for her.

Have you looked into it? I have it on my nails and I'm impressed! It would be fabulous for your clients nails.

For me, it's the finished product that matters. However, I always feel unprofessional doing it. I think there's not many techs who avoid a blob or
Two on the skin and tidy it up, esp with cream puff- I would rather get it everywhere to ensure I've sealed the free edge and got it thin and have to tidy up than get service breakdown. Shellac French makes me have palpitations!! X

Ha ha totally agree. As soon as the client says I will have shellac french...I want to cry!
But yes I use an orange wood stick with some cotton wool fluff of the end saturated in d-sperse xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back