Should cameras be fitted in care homes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairflair'xo

Reaction score
With all the reports of care home abuse I personally think cameras should be fitted in all homes, for the safety of residents and to protect the decent carers, what do you all think? Would be interesting to hear others views xxx

I work in a care home and I'd have no problem with cameras in the rooms as I do my job properly ;)
I think they are good as the amount of abuse and neglect they have found in homes is shocking and it's all thanks to these cameras families have out there .
I'd do it if my mum was in one as we can all lie and say everything's ok when it isn't x

100%.
The same for nurseries, as long as the tapes aren't available to access by anyone dodgy!

The best advice I ever received - "Work smarter, not harder". Thank you, geeks!!

I can see the merits of cameras in residential units etc however it's actually known as restrictive practice and most places can't implement it.

I work as a home carer and my main reason for this thread is I was a suspect in a theft case (money had been stolen from one of our elderly ladies homes) the actual culprit has been found out and is due in court, thank goodness!! It would be fantastic if cameras could be in place on a timer system, so they are only activated when a carer is present, to protect the resident/clients privacy when they are alone, I'm sure there are reasons why this can't be done, such a shame xxx

From what I have seen on the tv yes I think they should be. The privacy/personal care side of it would be an issue that I can't seem to see a way around, however I think that if you aren't doing anything wrong then you shouldn't mind xx

From what I have seen on the tv yes I think they should be. The privacy/personal care side of it would be an issue that I can't seem to see a way around, however I think that if you aren't doing anything wrong then you shouldn't mind xx

With the personal care being recorded, I don't see it as a problem aslong as it's only staff within that home or business that are able to Veiw it, and only if abuse is suspected, I would imagine that if cameras are put in place abuse would drop tremendously through the fear of being caught xxx

Although I completely understand why in the scenario under discussion this suggestion appeals to many people, I don't agree with it.

I hate the whole idea of 'big brother' watching over us 24/7, even in a care home watching over my parent!

I don't accept the view that if one is doing nothing wrong one shouldn't be worried about being recorded every second of the day.

Why does anyone need to have that much power over individuals in a free society.

It sucks and I would oppose any care home, hospital, business or country that tried to impose it.

Just saying :cool:

I think it's. A good idea in theory however the cameras would have to be positioned in such a way that the person could change privately and shower and use the toilet privately which then leaves a lot of blind spots where abuse can happen. I think it would only work if there was suspected abuse and you'd have to get the resident or a family members permission. I think a lot of the problem is that a lot of the people who got caught got made to do extra training then were allowed to go back to work rather than just being struck off. Xx

Its such a grey area regarding privacy, I agree with those of you bringing up the privacy side of it, your totally right, but as I mentioned before if it could be done in a way that the camera would only be activated while a carer is present, then that would take away the violation of privacy, as if someone is there showing and toileting isn't private anyway as the carer is witnessing it. I don't know if that makes any sense lol I know what I'm trying to say I just don't know if I've put it into words right haha, really good points raised by everyone xxx

I know what your saying hairflair but I don't think it will be long until all carers have to wear cameras on their heads at all times to prove we aren't abusing or neglecting people lol
X

I've worked in care homes over the yrs and I see both side, yes, the residents need to feel safe, monitored and protected, however, I can't see it ever being passed having cameras in tne bedrooms, infringement of dignity and privacy...however 2 way intacoms yes! Cameras on every corridor yes, so can see who goes in who's rooms

My grandparents live in a sheltered bungalow area, all have their own bungalows, with red pully cords in every room for emergency purposes, but also have an intercom on the wall so at any one time the warden can talk through it and nan and grandad answer..

Scared the poo out of me one Xmas after it was fitted...walked through to the loo ad this Loud voice came from nowhere saying merry Christmas Mr and Mrs....are you all ok?.. I nearly shat myself lol....Everyone talked back, had a giggle and that was that

Safely for the vulnerable is paramount.

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

I know what your saying hairflair but I don't think it will be long until all carers have to wear cameras on their heads at all times to prove we aren't abusing or neglecting people lol
X

I'd be willing!! Lol xx

I've worked in care homes over the yrs and I see both side, yes, the residents need to feel safe, monitored and protected, however, I can't see it ever being passed having cameras in tne bedrooms, infringement of dignity and privacy...however 2 way intacoms yes! Cameras on every corridor yes, so can see who goes in who's rooms

My grandparents live in a sheltered bungalow area, all have their own bungalows, with red pully cords in every room for emergency purposes, but also have an intercom on the wall so at any one time the warden can talk through it and nan and grandad answer..

Scared the poo out of me one Xmas after it was fitted...walked through to the loo ad this Loud voice came from nowhere saying merry Christmas Mr and Mrs....are you all ok?.. I nearly shat myself lol....Everyone talked back, had a giggle and that was that

Safely for the vulnerable is paramount.

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

This reminded me of a story similar, me and mum and stepdad were visiting his mother, who lived in a warden assisted flat, he went into the bathroom and pulled the red cord thinking it was the light, nearly had a heartache when a voice came through asking is everything was ok lol!! Xxx

*heartattack not heartache lol x

I work part time as a home carer. I agree it should be allowed unless disputed by family or the individual.
We have an elderly lady where her daughter has put up CCTV to monitor her mum only. All the carers are aware. Some carers have said they don't want to go there because of the cameras and they aren't allowed to be in her bedroom or the bathroom for personal care etc. and also I'm pretty sure by law they have to allow them privacy to do what they want in their own space, without being watched eg an elderly couple still being intimate in the bedroom.

Two wrongs don't make a right

I agree with them. my mum is a carer too.

I don't see why anyone doing their job properly would be offended, it's only to ensure those bad eggs that inevitably get jobs in places such as these are caught if they try and steal, are violent or abusive toward vulnerable people in their care.

Yes it's very big brother but with everything that could go on behind closed doors with no cctv I think it should be that way!!

Voyerism is also a form of abuse, why do you think they are hauling in so many people with indecent images on their computer.
It may well start with one camera in the living area, but how long will it be before it gets out of hand and how do you know the people who are watching are okay, you don't

On the TV, you see bailiffs wearing the body cams, maybe that would be an idea for carers to wear?!

That way, when a carer isn't there no one is being filmed. It wouldn't solve the problem 100% but it'd certainly be a deterrent for any possible abusers.

The best advice I ever received - "Work smarter, not harder". Thank you, geeks!!

Latest posts

Back