Should cameras be fitted in care homes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually it wouldnt because the change them and things like that.
Im quite sure ive heard that animals caged in a zoo often suffer from depression from having everyone just watch them all day, the thing is the watcher will always slip up and say something they couldnt possibly have known and how would that make them feel, i'd never do that to someone i care about.
They might as well put them all in glass houses then, it amounts to the same thing

On the TV, you see bailiffs wearing the body cams, maybe that would be an idea for carers to wear?!

That way, when a carer isn't there no one is being filmed. It wouldn't solve the problem 100% but it'd certainly be a deterrent for any possible abusers.

The best advice I ever received - "Work smarter, not harder". Thank you, geeks!!

Wait a minute lol, so if the carers are wearing the cameras, how is that going to catch the carers out ?
(if anything that would be extremely creepy, they could film what they like then post on internet and no-one would ever know about it, if anything it gives them even more powers)
and if its the family wearing the cameras but nothing ever happens when they are there how will that stop anything ?

All in all you can start to see where all this could eventually lead too, very scarey indeed

Wait a minute lol, so if the carers are wearing the cameras, how is that going to catch the carers out ?
(if anything that would be extremely creepy, they could film what they like then post on internet and no-one would ever know about it, if anything it gives them even more powers)
and if its the family wearing the cameras but nothing ever happens when they are there how will that stop anything ?

All in all you can start to see where all this could eventually lead too, very scarey indeed

The cameras would be provided to them, by the company/care home, for them to wear whilst at work. Not to take home.

They wouldn't be able to access any footage from the camera themselves.

The best advice I ever received - "Work smarter, not harder". Thank you, geeks!!

Do you really believe the buck would stop there ?
I don't
and how long are things generally left before they are dealt with, i think alot of damage could already be done in that time
I just think its an elevator, its giving the wrong ones a lift
and the victim becomes the victim of two crimes and maybe three crimes or more

Maybe the profession needs to be looked at. No point offering high wages to youngsters that are not suitable to do the job. Proper training and vetting would solve part of the problems we are seeing. Support officers (formerly known as wardens) are also poorly equipped and under a lot of pressure in their jobs, they also get plenty of abuse hurled at them.

Cameras wont change anything. Isn't there enough CCTV around? Doesn't stop any crimes, it just makes the criminals be more careful. And why not have them in everyone's home to make sure that children are being cared for and fed properly?

Maybe the profession needs to be looked at. No point offering high wages to youngsters that are not suitable to do the job. Proper training and vetting would solve part of the problems we are seeing. Support officers (formerly known as wardens) are also poorly equipped and under a lot of pressure in their jobs, they also get plenty of abuse hurled at them.

Cameras wont change anything. Isn't there enough CCTV around? Doesn't stop any crimes, it just makes the criminals be more careful. And why not have them in everyone's home to make sure that children are being cared for and fed properly?

I'm not trying to be rude or disagree with what you have said but "No point offering high wages to youngsters that are not suitable to do the job" isn't really fair, I'm 19 and I'm a home carer, the wages arnt high, and I'm more than suitable for the job, I've never had any complaints from my boss or the people I care for xx

I'm not trying to be rude or disagree with what you have said but "No point offering high wages to youngsters that are not suitable to do the job" isn't really fair, I'm 19 and I'm a home carer, the wages arnt high, and I'm more than suitable for the job, I've never had any complaints from my boss or the people I care for xx

It was a generalisation, I agree. Here in this area, youngsters that are doing apprenticeships (for example in hairdressing) are going into care work with the promise of £8-10 per hour. They have no idea what the job entails and are not properly informed or trained.
Carers under pressure, time constraints, too much work put on individuals, unsociable hours.
I didn't say that you were unsuitable to do your job. But there are many out there that are. Young and old.

It was a generalisation, I agree. Here in this area, youngsters that are doing apprenticeships (for example in hairdressing) are going into care work with the promise of £8-10 per hour. They have no idea what the job entails and are not properly informed or trained.
Carers under pressure, time constraints, too much work put on individuals, unsociable hours.
I didn't say that you were unsuitable to do your job. But there are many out there that are. Young and old.

Ahh I see, sorry for misinterpreting you, it must be different in different areas as I found my training to be brilliant, I also had my mum to help me as she's been caring for years, I suppose not everyone has that advantage and are just drawn in by the 'amazing wages' xx

Do you really believe the buck would stop there ?
I don't
and how long are things generally left before they are dealt with, i think alot of damage could already be done in that time
I just think its an elevator, its giving the wrong ones a lift
and the victim becomes the victim of two crimes and maybe three crimes or more

No. I did say that it wouldn't stop the problem 100%, but would act as a deterrent to some.

Ahh I see, sorry for misinterpreting you, it must be different in different areas as I found my training to be brilliant, I also had my mum to help me as she's been caring for years, I suppose not everyone has that advantage and are just drawn in by the 'amazing wages' xx

My partner was a carer and is now a support officer, so I know how hard your job is. Even in his role now, there is little training in the areas in which he would need it. There is also an increase of people with learning difficulties and other social problems that he has to deal with on a day to day basis, being homed in these complexes that are not suitable which causes immense problems.

My mother has been in a residential home for the last year. I think I can confidently say that she would hate the idea of cameras.

If I felt that she wasn't safe there I would ask her if she'd prefer to move to somewhere else. Choosing the right home is important, I think, but you can get a feeling of the atmosphere from the off.

The staff are a great bunch, caring and funny, and there is no difference in attitude whether they are 18 or 58; some are more highly qualified or experienced by others, but that's the case with any profession.

I thought we were talking about cameras family put in the rooms if they suspect abuse or neglect ? It doesn't take much to confuse me lol x

Consent, capacity and privacy and dignity are just off the top of my head to why this hasn't been done before. It's a normal knee jerk reaction to want something like this to protect the perceived vulnerable when the media concentrates so much on the negative side of the care business.

My personal opinion is that the whole profession needs overhauling in order to reduce these awful situations of abuse, but sadly it's unrealistic to think that it will stop altogether. For a start the CQC need to stop giving warnings of their visits in advance!

There are some amazing carers out there, doing a tough job with little financial reward and little time to really carry out the necessities with time constraints put upon them etc. Then on the flip side there are those that are employed that really don't grasp the concept of the importance of the role and sadly neither does the person employed to carry out the selection process.

I am not relating this to abuse in the slightest, but lately when I am walking around my town I see carers dressed in their agency tunic looking so unkempt and scruffy, it makes me wonder about the quality of their input. It doesn't matter what rank you are, you are representing your company, have a little pride in your appearance.

I didn't realise how much this annoys me until I started writing. :o

I can see both sides of this argument...

My Granda was in a care home for two months. We had no option but that one facility - others were too far out of catchment area or too far away for my Gran to visit daily.

We complained about several things throughout his stay. Following his death, an investigation was launched by the manager and two members of staff were fired. We didn't need cameras - the "carers" concerned were either oblivious to our presence or horror or just didn't care any more :( but it does make you think what goes on behind closed doors.

On the other hand, we have CCTV at work and it is indescribable, the feeling that Big Brother is watching you... When someone random passes comment on something that happened when they weren't there. Or, they watch you turn off machinery on the cameras and then call you on the radio because they know you can now hear them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back