should I ask clients to cut their own nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*sarah*

Pmu Geek
Reaction score
I'm really hating cutting clients nails, as I never know how far down to cut dont want to hurt them! just wondering for clients who dont wish to grow there nails and dont like to see there own nails at the back should I ask them to cut them before coming in ? Dont want to sound cheeky or unprofessional but I really hate doing it :eek: x

Most people will assume that you will do it for them hun,
You will of course have some that wont mind,
Can't you file them down instead of cutting them, I usually do this, I find it easier xxx

Is it only because you dont want to cut them too far down, or don't you like doing it for other reason's too ?

Most people will assume that you will do it for them hun,
You will of course have some that wont mind,
Can't you file them down instead of cutting them, I usually do this, I find it easier xxx

Is it only because you dont want to cut them too far down, or don't you like doing it for other reason's too ?

yeah just coz I'm scared if I cut too far al hurt them some peoples nails seem to have white bits (im sooo technical lol) that are actually on there nail beds so I cant even go with that guide, I do file them after I've clippered them but it take more time x

I think it is your job and I think you'd need to give the client a discount if they were going to do part of your job for you.

Why not file them down?

if your scared of hurting them why not cut the majority of free edge but leave a bit there then just file that? that shouldnt take too long xx

I'm really hating cutting clients nails, as I never know how far down to cut dont want to hurt them! just wondering for clients who dont wish to grow there nails and dont like to see there own nails at the back should I ask them to cut them before coming in ? Dont want to sound cheeky or unprofessional but I really hate doing it :eek: x
Sorry Sarah, but I'm just a bit confused about you 'not knowing how far down to cut because you might hurt them'? As a trained nail tech, cutting, trimming, filing down nails is something we should be proficient at doing as our training teaches us how 'not to hurt them'. Hope I'm making sense.

If you hate doing it, should you be doing nails?

Just file them, a new Kanga board goes through natural nails like a hot knife through butter!
This is part of your job, its like a hairdresser sending you home and asking you to cut your fringe cos shes afraid she'll stab you in the eye! Sorry I have just made myself laugh!! xxx

Sorry Sarah, but I'm just a bit confused about you 'not knowing how far down to cut because you might hurt them'? As a trained nail tech, cutting, trimming, filing down nails is something we should be proficient at doing as our training teaches us how 'not to hurt them'. Hope I'm making sense.

If you hate doing it, should you be doing nails?

No I was never taught how to cut someones nails, the course I did was only for enhancements I always used to cut down my own nails if going for enhancements, did'nt think it would be such a major issue to ask clients to do this prior to their appointment but obviously I was wrong

No I was never taught how to cut someones nails, the course I did was only for enhancements I always used to cut down my own nails if going for enhancements, did'nt think it would be such a major issue to ask clients to do this prior to their appointment but obviously I was wrong
Please don't feel embarrassed and I'm sorry if I embarrassed you. Not intentional :hug:.

Okay, I've had a look at your profile and you are an L&P tech using Creative products. I assume then that you trained with Creative? Did you have any other nail training prior to Creative. The reason I ask, is because I would imagine that the only way you could have done L&P course with Creative is through doing a foundation course with them unless you had initial training else where? Surely then, a foundation course would have taught basic filing, cutting of the natural nail?

Anybody please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I'm not Creative trained so am not 100% about this, but would like to help Sarah with her qestion.

Please don't feel embarrassed and I'm sorry if I embarrassed you. Not intentional :hug:.

Okay, I've had a look at your profile and you are an L&P tech using Creative products. I assume then that you trained with Creative? Did you have any other nail training prior to Creative. The reason I ask, is because I would imagine that the only way you could have done L&P course with Creative is through doing a foundation course with them unless you had initial training else where? Surely then, a foundation course would have taught basic filing, cutting of the natural nail?

Anybody please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I'm not Creative trained so am not 1005 about this, but would like to help Sarah with her qestion.

just felt a bit stupid lol Yes creative trained 12days in edinburgh but their was no training in the foundation course for natural nails, did a course at elmwood too this was for natural nails but no training on how to cut nails or apply polish :eek:

just felt a bit stupid lol Yes creative trained 12days in edinburgh but their was no training in the foundation course for natural nails, did a course at elmwood too this was for natural nails but no training on how to cut nails or apply polish :eek:
No need to feel stupid, lol. Sorry:hug:. My initial training was a five day course for gel enhancements, tipping & sculpts, but included cutting/filing of nails as this is often required when tipping, sculpting, repairing etc....... This is why I felt sure that this would have been included in your training.

However, one thing I can say is that some people's hyponychium can grow out with the free edge of their nails and this can make cutting or filing free edges painful if the hyponychium gets nicked. My mum has this.

The best way to avoid cutting it is to check the underside of the free edge during a consultation to make sure your client does not have excessive hyponychium. Otherwise cutting should not be a problem. Keep practicing to build your confidence. HTH xx

Sarah don't worry we all have parts of the job we do that we really find difficult and aren't confident in. When it comes to cutting the free edge just remember this, the nail plate looks pink because it is still attached to the nail bed. When it looks white it is no longer attached and you will be fine to cut it, even if it seems to go half way down the nail bed - this is what is called the free edge. You won't do any damage, and if in doubt cut it back as far as you are able and then file it. You won't be able to get your clippers behind it (use clippers not scissors as this is better for the nail, and easier to use IMO) if it is still attached to the nail bed anyway. If in doubt just consult with your client and ask if it feels okay, she'll soon slap you if you go too far lol :lol:!!!

Good luck :hug:

i agree with sassy...to be honest i don't like the gunk that comes off when doing cuticle work...but i have to do it so i just try and not think about it too much....:lol:

a good tip for if you go to far...you;ll here "OUCH"....:lol:...sorry

you'll be fine hun..after a while it wont even enter your head.

i agree with sassy...to be honest i don't like the gunk that comes off when doing cuticle work...but i have to do it so i just try and not think about it too much....:lol:

OMG isn't that funny, that's my fave part and the more gunk the better! :lick::lick::lick:

I'm with you on that Angie it's yeuch :lol:

Hi huni,
if you feel abit uncomfortable or unsure about cutting the natural nail prior to enhancements just do this.
Clip the nail back as far as you feel comfortable and then file refine the shape with a 240 file. This way you may feel more in control until you get more confident.
Trimming the clients nails before enhancement service is part and parcel of our job and with more practice you will soon wonder what you have been worrying about.
Sometimes clients do have a slight overgrown hyponichium and it never hurts to be carefull.
Good luck and dont worry xxxx

OMG isn't that funny, that's my fave part and the more gunk the better! :lick::lick::lick:

Lol sass I'm not sure if you really mean this or not,
but I do love this too , not because of the ming, but because of the good job I have done of removing it all haha, I feel a strange sense of pride, knowing what was there invisable to the eye,...is now all gone !! nice clean nail plate yayy
:lol:

I've had 3 clients this week from a tech who's on holiday and it turns out she asks them to do their own cuticle work before they go to her...... All her clients were seriously surprised that I did my own prep (so to speak.....) but I just said it was part of my job, and if I did it I knew it was done properly!!!

'No I was never taught how to cut someones nails'

Well I have to agree with you on this, no one ever showed me how to cut nails properly, I think its because people think its so basic, but its one of those things you really need to know how to do properly in my opinion. I followed instructions out of books and its just practice really, you just need to make sure you follow the curve of the nail as you're cutting so as not to put too much pressure on the nail and also so its comfortable for the client.

The VTCT course I did for Mani and Pedi was really good for things like Health and Safety, Salon procedures, Rules and Regulations, also for basic massaging and different manicure options, BUT we were never shown at the very beginning how to cut, file or apply nail varnish correctly which are surely the basics, but thats another thread entirely!!

I wasn't taught this either . . .

however I don't find it a problem, maybe its just a case of getting used to it, I'm sure I used to be more nervous about it

Latest posts

Back