should I ask clients to cut their own nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to add, the gunk that comes off during PREP, eeww, I don't like it :irked: Glad when that parts over!

Same, I was never taught to cut/clip nails.

We were shown proper filing technique, all the rest, but were told that it was illegal to clip the nails, all we were allowed to do was file them.

BTW, I'm not trying to start an argument about whether clipping is legal or not, thats just what we learnt in school, salons around here definately do use clippers, have never heard of this rule.

clipping natural nails is fine..thats what clipper are for....thats there sole purpose....i wouldn't use clippers on enhanced nails.

as for being illegal....i cant see how...nnever heard that before.

Sarah, I am one of those people who would make you feel VERY nervous clipping my nails. Once a tech. was cutting my nails and I could feel the clipper touch my skin underneath and I grabbed my hand away. I scared her terribly and she was shaking throughout the treatment. (It didn't help that I grabbed my hand away again when she cut me with a file :-( For this reason, I tend to stick to filing natural nails unless the nail is really long and then I clip it part way and file the rest. I've always had a problem with people clipping my nails including my toes. I have really long nail beds and even when the nail has grown longer than my fingertip, there is still a bit up skin under the nail that isn't easily noticeable.
:lol:alex

i agree with sassy...to be honest i don't like the gunk that comes off when doing cuticle work...but i have to do it so i just try and not think about it too much....:lol:

i am with you on this one

i'd say file them down if cutting is not your thing

i don't know how clients may feel if they were asked to do to cut their own nails themselves being as they are paying you as a professional nail tech

No need to feel stupid, lol. Sorry:hug:. My initial training was a five day course for gel enhancements, tipping & sculpts, but included cutting/filing of nails as this is often required when tipping, sculpting, repairing etc....... This is why I felt sure that this would have been included in your training.

However, one thing I can say is that some people's hyponychium can grow out with the free edge of their nails and this can make cutting or filing free edges painful if the hyponychium gets nicked. My mum has this.

The best way to avoid cutting it is to check the underside of the free edge during a consultation to make sure your client does not have excessive hyponychium. Otherwise cutting should not be a problem. Keep practicing to build your confidence. HTH xx
Hi i had a client who had really thick toe nails with a layer under the toe nail, i was filing them but she insisted i cut them and she flinched and said i had caught her, i had only trimmed the nail and looked for a cut but couldnt see anything. Then it started to bleed a little from under the nail, is this what you mean? Wish i had been more assertive and said no to cutting as i think a chiropodist would have been more appropriate, any advice for these situations? Plus any tips to avoid being pinged in the eye by a flying toenail! Apart from goggles!:lol:

No need to feel stupid, lol. Sorry:hug:. My initial training was a five day course for gel enhancements, tipping & sculpts, but included cutting/filing of nails as this is often required when tipping, sculpting, repairing etc....... This is why I felt sure that this would have been included in your training.

However, one thing I can say is that some people's hyponychium can grow out with the free edge of their nails and this can make cutting or filing free edges painful if the hyponychium gets nicked. My mum has this.

The best way to avoid cutting it is to check the underside of the free edge during a consultation to make sure your client does not have excessive hyponychium. Otherwise cutting should not be a problem. Keep practicing to build your confidence. HTH xx

Ah ha that must be whats happening because all I'm taking away is the white and some clients are saying ouch! oops lol thanks for the advice al definitly check this in future.
:hug: xxxx

Sarah don't worry we all have parts of the job we do that we really find difficult and aren't confident in. When it comes to cutting the free edge just remember this, the nail plate looks pink because it is still attached to the nail bed. When it looks white it is no longer attached and you will be fine to cut it, even if it seems to go half way down the nail bed - this is what is called the free edge. You won't do any damage, and if in doubt cut it back as far as you are able and then file it. You won't be able to get your clippers behind it (use clippers not scissors as this is better for the nail, and easier to use IMO) if it is still attached to the nail bed anyway. If in doubt just consult with your client and ask if it feels okay, she'll soon slap you if you go too far lol :lol:!!!

Good luck :hug:
Thanks Sassy, think the clients I'm having a problem with must have a high hyponyichium as Mrs Clooney has very kindly let me in on lol I always use clippers to

xxxxx

Sarah don't worry we all have parts of the job we do that we really find difficult and aren't confident in. When it comes to cutting the free edge just remember this, the nail plate looks pink because it is still attached to the nail bed. When it looks white it is no longer attached and you will be fine to cut it, even if it seems to go half way down the nail bed - this is what is called the free edge. You won't do any damage, and if in doubt cut it back as far as you are able and then file it. You won't be able to get your clippers behind it (use clippers not scissors as this is better for the nail, and easier to use IMO) if it is still attached to the nail bed anyway. If in doubt just consult with your client and ask if it feels okay, she'll soon slap you if you go too far lol :lol:!!!

Good luck :hug:
Thanks Sassy, think the clients I'm having a problem with must have a high hyponyichium as Mrs Clooney has very kindly let me in on lol I always use clippers to

xxxxx

Plus any tips to avoid being pinged in the eye by a flying toenail! Apart from goggles!:lol:

ooh ooh I know this one lol, when you clip cover the top with your hand I used to get pung in the face with nails all the time till I started doing this lol x

It's horrible when you ask what you think is a simple question an then you are made to feel you are lacking in something! This isn't the fault of anyone here (that have answered anyway) but it is the fault of the professional industry!

We're back to the 'what is qualified' question!

Personally, I don't even carry clippers as I always prefer to file. Filing natural nails is an 'art' in itself and the method used has so many long term implications.

My advice: read all the tutorials on this site, read the textbooks available, take more courses with great teachers (over time) and keep learning from every new client you come across

It's horrible when you ask what you think is a simple question an then you are made to feel you are lacking in something! This isn't the fault of anyone here (that have answered anyway) but it is the fault of the professional industry!

We're back to the 'what is qualified' question!

Personally, I don't even carry clippers as I always prefer to file. Filing natural nails is an 'art' in itself and the method used has so many long term implications.

My advice: read all the tutorials on this site, read the textbooks available, take more courses with great teachers (over time) and keep learning from every new client you come across

I must agree with you marian, you truly have a great way with words, there are often things even an experienced tech like myself would like to ask but dont, for fear of being made to feel stupid. xx

I must agree with you marian, you truly have a great way with words, there are often things even an experienced tech like myself would like to ask but dont, for fear of being made to feel stupid. xx

Hi Keeley

What a shame so many people feel like this! My suggestion is that, if you have a question, but daren't ask, send a PM to the many truely experienced Geeks on here and they'll answer you honestly.

I must admit that I sometimes read some questions and 'wonder'! But, as I said, that's a fault of the industry that builds up courses that are patently not enough to call their students a 'professional'.

It's up to the industry to put it right and if that shows up what is lacking we are not doing much wrong. It's just a shame that peoples feelings need to be hurt.

Hi Keeley

What a shame so many people feel like this! My suggestion is that, if you have a question, but daren't ask, send a PM to the many truely experienced Geeks on here and they'll answer you honestly.

I must admit that I sometimes read some questions and 'wonder'! But, as I said, that's a fault of the industry that builds up courses that are patently not enough to call their students a 'professional'.

It's up to the industry to put it right and if that shows up what is lacking we are not doing much wrong. It's just a shame that peoples feelings need to be hurt.

thanku marian, i will do just that, watch out you may be getting a few pm's from me, i hope u are keeping well x

Latest posts

Back