Should I become a Nail Technician?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaL

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm from the U.S. and have been lurking on this board. I'm interested in becoming a manicurist but am not sure if its right for me. I love nails and everytime I pass by a nail salon I get giddy! ;) I love the inner workings and the artistry. And of course, I love getting my nails done.

I have visited my local beauty school and have interviewed with them about the Nail Program. (I have not signed up as of yet). I know what is involved and am researching the industry as much as I can. I ordered the Milady Nail Technology book online and it should be arriving this week. I am also practicing on family.

I work in the corporate world and want to learn a "back up" skill in case I should ever need it. If I get licensed I have to admit, I wouldn't be a full time nail tech but would hone my craft in case I should ever become one.

I am concerned about working with fumes and the long term exposure, so that is another concern. I am hesitant.

From what I have written do you think someone like me would thrive/survive a Nail education to get my license? Or do you think I should take a more serious approach instead of seeing it as a "just in case" career?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Melissa,

The thing that makes me wonder about whether or not you should do a nail course, is that YOU yourself seem to have doubts, even though you say you love nails!! Why are you doubting whether nails is for you? Is it because you feel that maybe you couldn't master the skills or artistry involved?

In my experience, those that really wonder whether or not they will be able to do nails .. usually in the end find that they can't. Me for instance ... it never occured to me for a single second that I wouldn't be able to do the job and do it well. I always advise students who are having serious doubts to trust their instincts.

On the other hand, if you are doing nice nails on family and friends then why not go ahead and get qualified?

You have to be practical and not just give up the day job. But there is a very good living to made in the nail industry if you have the skill to be good at what you do, have the right personality to deal well with the public and the business head to run a profitable business. Must have all 3 if you want to really succeed.

Have to say i love doing nails but did have a few doubts about how i would do in the industry. At the end of the day i have always done my own and friends who loved what i did so i went for it and have never looked back.

My situation is a little different in that being a mum i wanted something i could work around my little girl who is now 3. This means i can do nails at different times and not stick to salon times. i needed that creative outlet and this certailny has given me what i want.

It won't be easy but then if you think it will be you won't last long in the nail business. I have enjoyed every minute of the training i've had so far, which is important and this site is certainly the best lifeline for the nail industry ever!!!! At the end of the day with something like this in your CV you can always have the option to do more with it and be your own boss.

Hope this helps.:biggrin:

Hi hunny. I have to say that I agree with Gigi - it never once occurred to me that i wouldnt be a great nail technician and produce fabulous nails and happy clients. Would you normally say you lack in confidence in yourself or just on this subject?

Dont know if that helped!

Thank you for all the replies so far. Yes, I have to agree, due to my inexperience I am not sure if I know if I have what it takes to be skillful at it. So confidence is an issue. I guess the only thing I can do is keep practicing and learning to discover if I can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back