Should I change my name

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collins

Reaction score
When I first started out as a mobile nail tech last year it took me ages to think of a name that I liked and was happy with. Finally I came up with Creative Nails By Clare. At this point I had just finished my VTCT at College and I trained with Star Nails products but changed to NSI because I found that they did a better range of shades and colours and now use the simplicite and technolocolour ranges. At this point I knew nothing about Creative products. Anyway its taken me a lot of time and money to build up my kit and can't convert to creative now as I also have ordred the Balence gels.

Do you think the name is misleading as I ment creative as in making the nails and not the products that I use . I haven't had any clients come to me asking for creative products only and I would be a real pain to change all my business cards and adverts and so on.

What do you all think should I keep the name or change it? :rolleyes:

Hi Ya, i dont think you should change your name but that is my opinion you have had no negative comeback on it so why change it? ok so you dont use creative products but joe public may not know that there are such things as creative products. I dont see why you should go to more expense to change your name just because your not creative trained, creative can mean a number of things not just the company creative, i know some people may disagree with me but i definately DO NOT THINK you should change your name x

I have to say I find it misleading, if I was looking for another Creative tech I would certainly be ringing you. Can you not think of something else to change it too? Or maybe you don`t want to really, at the end of the day it is your decision but how would you feel if you kept getting calls and they never booked because they wanted someone Creative........
You may do a fantastic set of nails but there are people out there that will only want a Creative tech and taking phone calls from people like that will just get your back up, do you want to have to explain to people every time that you are a professional and do fantastic nails??????

Do you think the name is misleading as I ment creative as in making the nails and not the products that I use . I haven't had any clients come to me asking for creative products only and I would be a real pain to change all my business cards and adverts and so on.

What do you all think should I keep the name or change it? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
Hi Debs, i can see what you mean by it being misleading, but before i came to this site i had never heard of Creative and though some people may request Creative Technicians she has never had any comeback on it since using that name. Clare how long have you been using the name for? Have you gone to a lot of expenditure already? x x

I've been a mobile tech for about 8 months and have spent alot of money on my kit. I really can't afford to change it. I say I;ve had no comeback but yesterday I was handing out some of my leaflets and I handed one to a women who had a set of acylic nails on ( I thought maybe I could offer her a better deal) and her nails weren't the best I've seen ( not becuase of the products used but I know were she had them done and they looked like false nails a mile away). She said that she had hers done at a local hair dressers and wasn't going to change because she liked creative and thats what her tech used ( which is fair enough but you can't blame a garil from trying). Now this was before I explained that I used NSI.

i'M NOT SURE WHAT TO DO.

Clare - The fact that you are asking this questions indicates to me that you are not entirely 100% with it. I can imagine that it would be inevitable that you change your name at some point in the future so why wait. Failing that, do your Creative courses asap and then it would all be perfect xx

NailNovice2 said:
Clare - The fact that you are asking this questions indicates to me that you are not entirely 100% with it. I can imagine that it would be inevitable that you change your name at some point in the future so why wait. Failing that, do your Creative courses asap and then it would all be perfect xx
I think this could be a tricky one. Chris: i think it a little unfair to expect Clare to get herself trained with Creative on that basis alone - as far as i know she isnt unhappy with her training: it is just her name she's concerned about. I have to say i agree with Kelly in that i'd never heard of Creative until i moved into the nail technicians' world. Clare, if you havent, in 8 months, experienced people asking you if you're Creative trained and not coming to you as you arent then i wouldnt worry. At first site, i assumed your name meant exactly what you meant it to mean - that you are a creative person (a noun and not a company's name). Just my thoughts :)

Hi Collins,

You'll find that most Creative Techs will prob say it's misleading, simply because they're very very loyal to their company, they paid a lot of money and spent a lot of time training under the Creative name - which is fair enough ;) But i've also spent a lot of time and money on other systems and to be totally frank, i'll call my business what i want to call it! :D As well as being a big company, Creative is also a descriptive word in the English language and is there for anyone to use.

I'm sure someone out there is called Nail Systems and someone else is called Nail Stars etc etc...

As long as when someone calls and asks you don't say you are a Creative Tech there shouldn't be any problems...

Carole Lindsay said:
I think this could be a tricky one. Chris: i think it a little unfair to expect Clare to get herself trained with Creative on that basis alone - as far as i know she isnt unhappy with her training: it is just her name she's concerned about. I have to say i agree with Kelly in that i'd never heard of Creative until i moved into the nail technicians' world. Clare, if you havent, in 8 months, experienced people asking you if you're Creative trained and not coming to you as you arent then i wouldnt worry. At first site, i assumed your name meant exactly what you meant it to mean - that you are a creative person (a noun and not a company's name). Just my thoughts :)

Very well put Carole :D :D :D

And very well put Claire!

I am happy with my training and couldn;'t afford to do a creative course as I'm already saving for my NVQ course that I should start in Oct. Although this shouldn't cost me the full price as I've already done my VTCT and hopefully it will only take a few months to convert the knowlege I used for that to my Nvq 3 and the time it takes to do my assessments.

If I were to change it what could I change it to. It would have to be very alike my current name, ??????? nails by clare. If the first word began with the same letter it would be better, like creative. I'm due to get a graphic for the back of my car in a few weeks so I really need to decide before that.

I really hope your not worrying yourself over the issue. I am sure there will b very few people who will relate your name to the products. Most ov my clients like to know I use good quality products but Ive never had any customer request one particular brand.If I was a customer I would think your name meant that your very creative with your nails and nothing else!

original, inspired, artistic are all words that also mean creative ie you are doing original, insipired artistic or creative nails

Like you say you have been working under this name and like it, and your clients know you buy it then keep it.

Hey, it would only worry me if you were claiming to use their products and you are not, so in my opinion theres no big deal here

If you do decide to change your name why don't you wait until you have used every business card and every bit of headed paper and try and keep the cost of a name change to a minimum?

Of course, that is if you do decide to change.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Kind regards,

Karen

I think the name is only misleading if you let clients believe your a creative trained tech, If how ever you explain to clients that you dont use creative products and are not associated with creative in anyway. Then i can't see a problem

Hi Leslie

I see you did your VTCT. When did you finish your course and how long did it take?

collins said:
Hi Leslie

I see you did your VTCT. When did you finish your course and how long did it take?

I did my courses 3years ago and they took about 30 weeks :)

Hi Leslie

I see you also did a VTCT course. When did you finish and how long did it take you?

Clare - Sorry if I have caused any misunderstanding. I am not suggesting you take further training with Creative unless you feel you need it and unless you really want to. If you are happy with the teaching you have/are receiving, by all means continue with them.

What I did mean by my comments was that I got the feeling that you felt the name misleading and that YOU felt uncomfortable with it. Yes, as the others say, if your clients are happy with what you produce, DON'T WORRY. And, although I have received Creative training, I have also received great training from other sources and the source of my training was not the reason for my answer.

If it is not broken don't fix it!

With respect to all of you who had never heard of the brand Creative before you did your training, it IS the best branded product line in the industry and featurs in all the glossy magazines and there are many who DO know and who request Creative technicians and Creative product.

Having said that, there is nothing to stop you from continuing using the name and if some find it misleading then you will have to put them right on the issue.

People new to the industry usually never know much about brands which is why so many take so long to chose the best products and spend so much money before they get the best training. I have found over the years that if a technican is really good, she/he will always eventually pop out at the top end of the market and end up using a well branded line; because thatis where they want tro be.

Sorry if any of you can't agree with me at this time, but I have seen it for nearly 20 years and one day you will come to the same conclusions.

Latest posts

Back