Should I complain about this manicure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Etoile

Reaction score
Hello Geeks,

Apologies for making my first post (after much lurking) a whingy one but I could really use an expert opinion on this one and I know that you can't swing a cat for hitting a professional on this site! :)

Long story short, my hairdresser (who is amazing and luckily has her salon so close to my house I can see it from my front door) decided to rent her spare room to a nail tech and gave some of her regulars a voucher for a free manicure. I had mine yesterday afternoon and well, the only pleasure I got from it was realising I'm not as bad at doing my own nails as I thought I was. I didn't complain at the time because it was a freebie and I'm horribly shy but if these aren't normal practices, I'm worried about the impact it could have on my hairdresser's business. This was also my first "proper" manicure so I was hoping some of you lovely Geeks could have a look at this list of things that happened and tell me if they're complaint worthy or I'm just being a fussy baby.

- I asked for my cuticles to be tidied up, she used a metal scraper (sorry I don't know the name for it, it was quite wide though) from the top of my nail to the nail bed and pushed. She then cut the skin around my nails with nippers and this weird little knife thing; some of my nails bled and now a good twelve hours and four coats of Solar Oil later, they're still red and incredibly sore.

- I asked for my nails to be filed as short as they could go (I'm a guitar player) and shaped evenly. She used a super abrasive nail file (the grit side was so harsh you could see bumps on it - was this for acrylics maybe?) didn't remove any length and didn't even my nails up as they're all different lengths (not in a "different lengths just so they look the same" kinda way either) and the edge of my nails was rough enough to catch on my clothes.

- Before painting my nails, she used a really harsh buffer (I have an OPI one at home and even on the roughest surface, I could rub it across my face and not have any problems - not that I make a habit of facial buffing) and didn't remove all of the leftover nail residue before putting the polish on. Edit; My nails feel really soft and weak as well now, related to the buffing?

- Nope, didn't miss a step there. She didn't use any kind of base coat and didn't allow any drying time between the two polish coats either. She just painted pinkie to pinkie and back again. The polish she used (China Glaze's "Bogie") is one that I have at home and it's a definite three coater but I only got two.

- She applied a top coat, warning me that she'd had some problems with this on natural nails and then put my fingers under a UV lamp. Does this sound like she's used the wrong one?

- After that, she applied cuticle oil (which stung horribly because of my poor eponychium - yay for expanding my vocabulary through pain) and I left.

Now, remember me saying that I live so close I can see this place from my front door? I hadn't even crossed the road that divides the two streets before I noticed how smudged this polish was and that it had chipped off in two places on my thumb. As the day's worn on, more and more of it has fallen off but because of whatever she used as a top coat, I just can't get the stuff off (Orly Extra Strength and even 99.9% acetone hasn't shifted it at all) and my nails look horrendous now. Where the polish has come off, my nails are horribly stained and because Bogie is a deep purple, this staining looks like I've trapped my fingers in a door!

I know that just being unhappy with the service should be reason enough to complain but I feel terrible right now and I wouldn't feel comfortable complaining about something I don't know that much about as I'm not qualified in anything beauty related.

I'd be really grateful for any advice regarding this situation or just what to do with my poor nails now. Thank you!

Last edited:
Without actually seeing your nails it's difficult to give an objective opinion on its quality.
However, if you are unhappy with the treatment you received indeed you should have a quiet word with the salon owner.
Did you take photos? Can you take any now?
Whether you're qualified or not the fact remains that you're not a happy bunny, and you are perfectly entitled to let the salon owner know.
Stay calm, objective, and just stick your paws under her nose. They should speak for themselves.
Good luck!

I think one way you can look at it through a different perspective is that you are giving 'feedback' to the salon owner. If I had a tech do that manicure on one of my clients, I would certainly want to know about it so I could make sure to brush up on the techs training before she sent my clientele packing. It does sound like she needs a bit more practice before she starts charging, which was probably the whole idea in the first place. Giving appropriate feedback is perfectly acceptable, and unfortunately, we women have a hard time doing that. We usually chose to just never go back instead of giving feedback to help them do things better.

Thanks for the responses guys, they're really helpful :)

I have taken a couple of (not great, sadly) photos of how my nails looked this morning. I didn't include my thumbs in the pictures as they were the nails I tested the polish remover and acetone on, the others have only had Solar Oil on them.

This is my left hand: Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter
This is my right hand: Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter

My nail beds have thankfully calmed down a bit today, barring the ones that bled but the polish has gone kinda crunchy (like the waxy, sugary coating you get on some sweets) and keeps cracking and flaking off. I just wish it'd all come off!

Oh dear, that's really not good.

I think you would be doing this girl a favour if you went back and showed her your nails, so she could see exactly what you have been left with and have a chance to learn from this experience.

I would go back and let them see the outcome of the manicure.

There is no need to make a big complaint as, like you said, it was a freebie. But i would show them your nails and ask the manicurist if she could remove the remaining polish for you or advise you what to use.

You'll be doing them a favour xx

I have a nightmare story regarding my third manicure at least it was to me.

I had gone to this salon twice before: once for acrylic nails and once for fill in when they started to grow out. I also had my eyebrows done and a pedicure. Everything went fine. I really liked the manicurist.

It was time to go to the salon again to have new acrylic nails put on for a special party where I was the main speaker.

You get who ever comes to you first so I had no choice in manicurist. I had seen her work before and she wasn't exactly someone you would choose. And she has a very abrasive manner.

Taking that into account I thought she couldn't be as bad as I thought, just not a people person. She wasn't able to speak very good English either. But no one could in the salon.

This is what I asked for: Pedicure with Opi nail polish I had chosen for both pedicure and manicure with some nail art I had chosen. I asked for my eyebrows to be done. I asked for new acrylic nails put on like I had the first time I was in. I also asked for nail art.

This is what happened: She wanted to soak my nails while I received a pedicure. Okay. She scraped and scraped and scraped. I kept asking her why she wasn't able to get what was left of my acrylic nails off. She said I didn't have acrylic nails. I tried to argue with her but she insisted that I did not have acrylic nails and I had Blank (I couldn't understand her even though I asked her three times) nails and she knew the best way to get the nail clean. She also told me that she knew what I had and they weren't acrylic. I pointed to a photo of acrylic nails on the wall and she kept shaking her head. I told her I may be old but I still knew what I had! She kept shaking her head and telling me she would set me up right with what I had the last time I was in. Finally, I got the right answer. Ha.

After the pedicure she informed me that I couldn't use the same color polish I had on my toe nails for my manicure. She, too, left my hands bloody and very sore. So I knew what Etoile went through. (Another "bad manicure" person).

She put on some type of "glue" or so I thought and placed my hands under a heater. When it turned off I told her I was ready for my acrylics. All she yelled to me was, "No! You done!" And went back to another customer. I sat stunned while all the customers stared at me. I got up and told her that I wanted acrylic nails. And my eyebrows done. Another "No! You done!" I was so embarrassed and angry. And tears. But I paid.

Okay, from there came the time when it all chipped (2 days) and my nails were so dried out that they would not grow any longer. They were soft and jagged and peeling and I couldn't file them at all. I took photos because by then I was very mad. I called them back and told whoever picked up the phone what happened. Whoever it was said it didn't happen.

After going through the manager, the Customer Relations personnel, I was referred to their insurance company. It's been 6 months and my nails are finally grown out enough where they are new and like my normal nails. I used all kinds of treatments for my nails while I was hiding them. The insurance company wants a professional opinion on the damage to my nails. I don't know where to go. I can't just go up to another manicurist and show her pictures I took of my damaged nails every month. Can I? What should I do?

Why on earth did you leave the salon without showing the manager?!
If that had happened to me they'd have had to call security unless I got in front of management!

I had gone to this salon twice before: once for acrylic nails and once for fill in when they started to grow out. I also had my eyebrows done and a pedicure. Everything went fine. I really liked the manicurist.

It was time to go to the salon again to have new acrylic nails put on for a special party where I was the main speaker.

You get who ever comes to you first so I had no choice in manicurist. I had seen her work before and she wasn't exactly someone you would choose. And she has a very abrasive manner.

Taking that into account I thought she couldn't be as bad as I thought, just not a people person. She wasn't able to speak very good English either. But no one could in the salon.

This is what I asked for: Pedicure with Opi nail polish I had chosen for both pedicure and manicure with some nail art I had chosen. I asked for my eyebrows to be done. I asked for new acrylic nails put on like I had the first time I was in. I also asked for nail art.

This is what happened: She wanted to soak my nails while I received a pedicure. Okay. She scraped and scraped and scraped. I kept asking her why she wasn't able to get what was left of my acrylic nails off. She said I didn't have acrylic nails. I tried to argue with her but she insisted that I did not have acrylic nails and I had Blank (I couldn't understand her even though I asked her three times) nails and she knew the best way to get the nail clean. She also told me that she knew what I had and they weren't acrylic. I pointed to a photo of acrylic nails on the wall and she kept shaking her head. I told her I may be old but I still knew what I had! She kept shaking her head and telling me she would set me up right with what I had the last time I was in. Finally, I got the right answer. Ha.

After the pedicure she informed me that I couldn't use the same color polish I had on my toe nails for my manicure. She, too, left my hands bloody and very sore. So I knew what Etoile went through. (Another "bad manicure" person).

She put on some type of "glue" or so I thought and placed my hands under a heater. When it turned off I told her I was ready for my acrylics. All she yelled to me was, "No! You done!" And went back to another customer. I sat stunned while all the customers stared at me. I got up and told her that I wanted acrylic nails. And my eyebrows done. Another "No! You done!" I was so embarrassed and angry. And tears. But I paid.

Okay, from there came the time when it all chipped (2 days) and my nails were so dried out that they would not grow any longer. They were soft and jagged and peeling and I couldn't file them at all. I took photos because by then I was very mad. I called them back and told whoever picked up the phone what happened. Whoever it was said it didn't happen.

After going through the manager, the Customer Relations personnel, I was referred to their insurance company. It's been 6 months and my nails are finally grown out enough where they are new and like my normal nails. I used all kinds of treatments for my nails while I was hiding them. The insurance company wants a professional opinion on the damage to my nails. I don't know where to go. I can't just go up to another manicurist and show her pictures I took of my damaged nails every month. Can I? What should I do?

take the pictures to your GP and show them, as Im sure that what they mean by a professional opinion not a manicurist:)

If my technician/manicurist couldn't understand me I would leave .... simple, sorry, but I have little sympathy for clients that go to these salons .....

Latest posts

Back