Should I convert to Brisa Sculpting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tina

Reaction score
I never got much wear out of shellac as my nails can be very soft so when Brisa smoothing gel was released I was so pleased.
Thing is although I can get just over a week before one chips I find that no matter how much I seal the edges with base, smoothing gel, colour and top coat, it seems that soon as my hands are in water for a prolonged time the seal breaks and you can see where the nails are almost curling away from the product , this could be within a day of application.

I used to wear acrylic over my natural nails for strength and longevity but wonder if the sculpting gel would be more suited for me to wear over my natural nails.
I don't currently have the sculpting gel as I can't sculpt but if I can wear it as a natural nail overlay then I'm thinking I should buy it. Any suggestions or has anyone come across this as well.
I just resealed my nails last night but when it starts again I will try and take a picture.
For the record I am using full shellac kit including lamp and I use the shellac top coat not brisa lite top coat.

Thanks

I would think that if the smoothing gel lifts, then the sculpting gel would also. Are you really scrubbing the ScrubFresh in to your nails and free edge? The free edge needs it too. Can you wear gloves when your hands are in water? Maybe your nails are just too soft and really need more of a structure. I think your best bet would be l&p.

I don't agree ...

If the Smoothing gel is lifting it is because you need strength ... Brisa Lite Sculpting gel is a hard gel ... More like L&P ... But it's a hard gel that soaks off!

I do agree that if the L&P suited you so well, then you need a harder product on those weak nails.

It does sound like perhaps your nails are best suited to L&P. I have incredibly brittle nails, and Brisa Smoothing/Sculpting Gels are miracle workers for me. You need to be prescriptive with your products to find the "Best Fit", so if you have weak flexible nails, you would probably be best suited to a hard, structured enhancement like L&P. However, if you were to have brittle nails like me, you would be more suited to a light, flexible product like Brisa Lite. Xxx

I have 2 (out of approx 90) Shellac clients who cannot keep shellac on their nails, even with BL Smoothing Gel.

I now use BL Sculpting Gel on their nails as an overlay, and their shellac lasts two weeks plus on them.

To say, they are pleased is an understatement! I charge the same price as a BL Smooth under Shellac application ...

HTHs xxx

Last edited:
Hmm, I would so much rather wear brisa lite over l&p , and like the last op said her clients are getting good results I think I will have to try the sculpting gel but will just make an extra conscious effort of scrubbing the nails more with scrub fresh.

I look forward to having positive results and will keep you posted.

Thanks

Hmm, I would so much rather wear brisa lite over l&p , and like the last op said her clients are getting good results I think I will have to try the sculpting gel but will just make an extra conscious effort of scrubbing the nails more with scrub fresh.

I look forward to having positive results and will keep you posted.

Thanks

I agree Tina, BL Sculpting is less damaging to the nail as no buffing prior to application. For me personally, L+P overlay would be my last resort, and thankfully I've never had to, as BL Sculpting as an overlay does the job wonderfully.

Good luck xx

I had to come back to this thread, after reading it a couple of days ago, and experiencing similar problems personally!
(I have been a L&P 'girl' for years, but after a serious operation and subsequent health issues a couple of years ago, my nails have suffered majorly, to the point of paper thin onycholisis nails. I have worn Shellac for approx six months, (as tips just lifted my already very poorly nails even more, even though I felt better with them on, protected and stronger, and obviously more pleasing on the eye) and this has practically cured the onycholisis, but my nails are still very very thin. I then moved onto Brisa Lite Smoothing and this has been great too, although approx 9-10 days in, my nails 'soften' again.
After reading this thread, and Gigis advice, I today tried the Brisa Lite Sculpting, and I am thrilled! The 'strength' is back!! So far so good anyway, and I feel so much happier with my nails! I have applied one very short clear tip to a broken nail, (only because I am going on holiday and it was too short to sculpt) but the rest are 'au natural' and will hopefully stay that way until I return from said holiday.
Sorry for the way too lengthy post, but if you are considering it, as I was, GO FOR IT, and Thank You again Gigi for your excellent advice / opinion!
Much appreciated! L&R as they say at SS !!:biggrin:

I had to come back to this thread, after reading it a couple of days ago, and experiencing similar problems personally!
(I have been a L&P 'girl' for years, but after a serious operation and subsequent health issues a couple of years ago, my nails have suffered majorly, to the point of paper thin onycholisis nails. I have worn Shellac for approx six months, (as tips just lifted my already very poorly nails even more, even though I felt better with them on, protected and stronger, and obviously more pleasing on the eye) and this has practically cured the onycholisis, but my nails are still very very thin. I then moved onto Brisa Lite Smoothing and this has been great too, although approx 9-10 days in, my nails 'soften' again.
After reading this thread, and Gigis advice, I today tried the Brisa Lite Sculpting, and I am thrilled! The 'strength' is back!! So far so good anyway, and I feel so much happier with my nails! I have applied one very short clear tip to a broken nail, (only because I am going on holiday and it was too short to sculpt) but the rest are 'au natural' and will hopefully stay that way until I return from said holiday.
Sorry for the way too lengthy post, but if you are considering it, as I was, GO FOR IT, and Thank You again Gigi for your excellent advice / opinion!
Much appreciated! L&R as they say at SS !!:biggrin:

One thing to watch .... Don't let your nails grow too long. Too much pressure on those very thin nails can sometimes result in a bit of Onycholysis .... I have one naturally very thin nail and it happened to me ... Don't panic if it does as it will settle down after a week or two. No need to remove the sculpting gel; I just shortened the nail and let it settle and grow into the grooves again.

Latest posts

Back