Should I do manicure course on top of Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzyBee12

Reaction score
Hi,

I completed Shallac for beginners recently and added subsequently got myself insurance. One day (when I feel good enough) I would like to offer this as a service and I will also enrol on the CND perfect 10 course. However, although I feel knowledgable from my course, I feel like I may have to go backwards and get a basic manicure qualification to add to my insurance so that I can offer polish, etc rather than just shellac. Which would be the best course just to get this on my insurance? I know CND do a manicure course, but I think it is a conversion so need basic first?

Your Shellac course should have included a manicure qualification if you didn't already hold one as it's a pre requisite to taking the shellac class

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would call Sweet squared and ask their advice. Did you not have to have a basic manicure qualification to do the shellac beginners course? I could be wrong as I know their courses have changed since I did my Cnd complete course 3 years ago.

For you to open an account with sweet squared and be able to buy Genuine Shellac products you will need a manicure qualification.

No you don't need a manicure cert to do their beginners course now. The course covered nail anatomy, contraindications, consultation, etc. but not massage techniques, etc. My cert states Shellac for Beginners, which is now on my insurance. Just weary if I start offering a 'manicure' I'm technically not covered.

I already have a Sweet Squared account.

It obviously has all changed then.
If you're wanting to continue your education with S2 then give them a call and see what they suggest.

I would definitely recommend doing a manicure qualification as you will be able to offer a full service so to speak and you'll need not have to worry about your insurance as you'll be above board.
Did your insurance company not want a manicure certificate when you joined with them?

Best of luck x

No I've managed to join everything so far with my CND certificate without any trouble. I'll make a decision whether it's something I want to take further and then talk to CND about whether I can attend the conversion manicure course.

The Shellac Beginner course is enough of a qualification to carry out the equivalent service in polish too as all the manicure essentials are covered,however a great add on course you can undertake is CND Spa mani/pedi.
On this class you will learn how to provide a luxury treatment for hands and feet including exfoliation, massage, masks etc.
This is perfect for boosting your natural nail offerings.

The Shellac Beginner course is enough of a qualification to carry out the equivalent service in polish too as all the manicure essentials are covered,however a great add on course you can undertake is CND Spa mani/pedi.

On this class you will learn how to provide a luxury treatment for hands and feet including exfoliation, massage, masks etc.

This is perfect for boosting your natural nail offerings.

This is the one I would like to do, but it is under conversion so didn't know if I needed to have a manicure qualification already or could take as a next step.

I can quite happily now do a mini manicure and shellac and obviously polish or another gel polish brand, but I am not sure I would be insured to do this until I had the CND manicure certificate too?

Also, from what I've seen on here, if I wanted to set up at home I may need an NVQ so looks as if I may need to go back and do this?

Any course requiring a manicure qualification should accept your CND beginner course as its such a comprehensive course, this is definitely accepted by Sweet squared for you to do the spa course.
CND no longer do just a manicure course as beginner- it was superseded by the CND Shellac Beginners in the uk so for anyone wanting to do the spa aspect the Spa conversion is a natural progression route to do so, you should be sufficiently covered to use regular polish instead with this qualification but as always, if in doubt contact your insurance provider.

As for the NVQ for a home salon, it depends where you are - its not the case in all areas and certainly isnt in mine but you would need to check with the local authority for definite.

Thanks for the info and help. I have emailed my local council. Just worried that in the future if they change the rules I have to do NVQ when I will know it all already.

BuzzyBee just out of interest how did you word your email when you contacted your local council about needing an NVQ to operate from home? I am due to be relocating counties soon so need to do this.

Chocolate pickle, as a CND educator can you confirm for me whether the CND complete introductory course is the equivalent of an NVQ level 2? I know they no longer do this course but I think I remember my ed saying it was.

Many Thanks both of you x

I didn't specifically ask about NVQ, I just said if I was to offer xxx treatments, of which I am qualified, would I need a special treatment license. Maybe you could contact them and ask if you would require the license, then you would know about NVQ?

Is there not a way of doing an NVQ assessment without doing another full course?

Latest posts

Back