Should i go for it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitten

Reaction score
Hi there geeks! I've been away from the forums for a while but I'm back and i'm after some advice please - i know it's cheeky but i hope you all don't mind :o ! I've just moved house and so am 'between jobs', and i've been offered the chance to set up a nail desk in my hairdressers salon. My main query is, should i go for it or not? I have done my VTCT Level 2 in mani/pedi & nail extensions, which i finished this time last year, but since then i've really only done a handful of sets on friends etc. I'd be paying a % of my takings initially until a good client base is established (which seems to make sense to me) and he's said he'll let me please myself with regards to days & times i wnt to work and i'll just have a separate appointment book by the phone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance x

Nothing ventured nothing gained...what have you got to lose?
The only thing I would say is that you would need to get some serious practise in if you have not been doing many nails for a while.....possibly even get some extra tuition to get you back up to speed and boost your confidence......Your profile doesn't say what system you are currently using....

if its what you want & you feel ready - then go for it xxxx

Ooops, sorry i meant to update my profile the other day - i'll do it right now! I think i was so nervous about posting on the board again after so long away my mind went awol for a while! We used Creative Retention + l&p at college. Thanks for your help so far! x

what % will you be paying and is there a ceiling limit on how much they will take - you will regret it if you dont try so go for it!

Just make sure you understand the % of what you will give to the salon and have all the ground rules laid down in the beginning. Like for instance, if you get really busy, will you be expected to give more of a % or stick to the same all the way through. Or will you have to pay rent when established and how much. Just make sure you have all your questions answered straight away, then you both know where you stand.

I would say go for it and enjoy the experience, there's nothing like doing nails on clients to get your confidence back, but practise as well just to help yourself in the beginning.

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful, it's given me some questions to start with when i sit down & sort out the details with the hairdresser. Will defo get some practise in before i let myself loose on the general public though. The hairdresser suggested to book out a longer time slot for each treatment until i get more confidence & get my speed up which i think i will do for starters. I'm v keen to go for it, but really feel like such a beginner next to all you professionals, it's a bit intimidating but i guess i'll never get the confidence or the experience unless i go for it. Thanks again, i'm sure i'll be back on asking for more advice in the near future, but thanks for your help so far! x

when do you start if its not to soon i would get a 1-2-1 booked, just to give you confidence and tweak areas you are unsure of, this will calm those nerves abit and it will seem less intimidating, then go for it nothing ventured nothing gained.
or if there is a geek in your area see if you can meet up and get some practise in and get another technicians help and advice.
hth :hug:

H, it's probably that fear of the unknown that is at the back of your mind. I agree with the others with regard to practice, but I would make sure that any agreements come in the form of a contract- that way, you always have it to fall back on in case of any problems regarding rent if they decide to bump it up cos you get busy, which wasn't previously agreed.
Good Luck!!

Michelle xxx

Latest posts

Back