Should I have given in?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GracefulH&B

Reaction score
Happy New Year to you all and all the best for 2012.

Just wanted to ask all your advice on something. I have a home salon and there I was the Monday before Christmas at about 6.45pm. Just finished work, had to have my three kids at my nephews school play at 7pm and we still hadn't had our tea. So a car drives into my drive and my dog (who was outside) starts barking and the car starts beeping.

I'm in the house trying to get my three youngesters (2, 4 and 5) to eat their tea, it's absolutely throwing it down outside and this woman is beeping her horn, refusing to get out of her car coz of the dog.

I went out to her and she says she's been trying to ring me and I've not been answering my phone. I always answer my phone unless I'm doing a relaxation treatment, in which case I always respond to any messages as soon as I have finished the treatment.

This lady asks for a gift voucher for a deluxe treatment and, I quote, "I want a discount". Now, I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to quote prices here so please tell me off but, I charge £35 for a deluxe treatment which includes a foot soak, foot scrub, toe nail cut and file, corn and hard skin removal (I'm a Foot Health Practitioner as well), and a reflexology treatment. I normally charge £25 for a reflexology treatment (the cheapest around here).
A chiropodist would charge £20 for a toe nail cut and file and then extra for a corn and hard skin removal. I don't know a chiropodist that would do a foot soak and scub so they would need to see a beautician which would cost about £10+. So this lady was getting £55+ of treatments for £35 and she sat and argued with me for a discount.
I'm stood there in the pouring rain, with three kids waiting to see their cousins christmas play with no tea in them and this women wants even more of a discount than £20+. I stood my ground and she brought the gift voucher but this has been playing on my mind ever since. Am I too cheap?

Should I increase my prices? Should I have just said to this woman come back in the morning? How do you say to people that turn up at your door "I'm off duty, come back tomorrow"? I'm having a lot of people turn up at my door at the moment. I had a lady on Christmas Eve turn up at 10pm at night wanting an appointment for her mum(????) Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Mandy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi laceynicks,

Should you have given in - definitely not! I find this time of year can bring out the best and worst in people in equal quantities! I think under the circumstances you were damned gracious - I'm not sure I would have been.

As for are you too cheap - can't really answer that as you know your market best, all I can say is that for Reflexology my treatments are 60mins and for my deluxe pedi they are roughly the same, so if yours are anything similar then she is getting a huge bang for her buck! I'd take your hand off for that kind of discount on those prices/treatments....:eek:

I'm lucky that I don't have people coming to my home, but it might be worth making crystal clear on your website, appt cards and other literature what your business hours are and any contact made after these times will be dealt with the next working day.

Stop fretting about it, relax and enjoy your evening and have a fabulous new year!

xx

Sorry I don't have any advice, I'm just so shocked that people come to your house out of the blue! That is so rude? I would never dream of doing that to someone. Why don't they call you....just bad manners in my opinion. Sounds like you handled it well and well done for standing your ground!! :)

I use to have a home salon but nobody ever turned up unexpectedly, if they had drove into my drive and was honking on the horn I would have ignored it and let them get out of the car and come to the door where I would have said sorry I am closed and would have given them my business card and requested that they rang me when I am next open.

Its only the same as having a salon you wouldnt go out to anyone honking on the horn outside, she has a damn right cheek to do that!!

Sorry WHAT?! She came to your house at 7pm to honk at you and asked for a discount?!

I would have told her she was trespassing and if she didn't leave at once I would call the police. I don't care if she was buying a voucher, I wouldn't want her or anyone she knows near me!

This has really upset and angered me so I can only imagine how you feel. x

In regards to your prices, if you feel you need to raise them then you know when the right time will be. Good luck and a happy new year! :) x

She could have sat all night in my drive honking, I wouldn't have gone out. I can't believe how rude some people are expecting that you should drop everything for them.

I have a sign in my drive that says 'by appointment only'.
I've only ever had 1 person turn up on my doorstep and I told them that I wasn't available.

You use the chiropodist as a comparison, so I have to ask, would a chiropodist have entertained a caller to her house like you did? You should have let your dog deal with her! I wouldn't have left my house to deal with her as I'm a professional and dont do business's this way.
If you allow people to behave like this, then they will treat you like this

I think you handled that situation better than i could have...firstly this lady is bang out of order turning up on your path & beeping her horn because she doesnt want to get out of her car & then she is demanding a discount!!! As 'lancashirelass' has said she wouldnt carry on like that outside a shop so she shouldnt be doing it outside your house. Dont let it bother you she is obviously very ignorant!x

If it were me, I'd have probably stood by te door and shouted "what the f**k do you want?"
Ignore the rude woman, and maybe have a sign for the wall outside saying business hours with a foot note saying that all business will be conducted in the set hours only.
Maybe close the gates on your drive or go to b&q for a length of chain and a post with a hole and string it from one end of tendrils to te other with a sign clearly stating that 'sorry *name of business* is closed' on it, if someone then comes to your home just politely point out the signs and say that you would welcome them between the hours of ... As you are tending to your children xoxo

Oh my geeky mates, you make me proud:hug: I would like to rep each and every one of you. I remember most of you when you wouldn't have said boo and I seriously worried how some of you were going to cope with out getting walked all over.
I hope Vhunter sees this one.
Yes luvie I do think you should have a price increase, if you find yourself attracting that kind of client it's usually a sign that it's time to raise your business above their price bracket.
Clear sign as already suggested stating by appointment only and anyone calling after that should be ignored or if that's not possible, tell them you are the house keeper and know nothing about the business:eek:

Oh my geeky mates, you make me proud:hug: I would like to rep each and every one of you. I remember most of you when you wouldn't have said boo and I seriously worried how some of you were going to cope with out getting walked all over.
I hope Vhunter sees this one.
Yes luvie I do think you should have a price increase, if you find yourself attracting that kind of client it's usually a sign that it's time to raise your business above their price bracket.
Clear sign as already suggested stating by appointment only and anyone calling after that should be ignored or if that's not possible, tell them you are the house keeper and know nothing about the business:eek:

Lol at the house keeper part, ive got family guys Mexican maid in my head now going "oh no mr batman no home" when he's visible in the background. Xoxo

Oh and to add, im scared about my normal number getting out, or my home number, but think I would handle it well, iv had calls off friends on my normal number saying I wasn't answering my work number so I just say I'm not working now so I don't take work calls or appointments until blah blah tomorrow. Xoxo

Happy New Year to you all and all the best for 2012.

Just wanted to ask all your advice on something. I have a home salon and there I was the Monday before Christmas at about 6.45pm. Just finished work, had to have my three kids at my nephews school play at 7pm and we still hadn't had our tea. So a car drives into my drive and my dog (who was outside) starts barking and the car starts beeping.

I'm in the house trying to get my three youngesters (2, 4 and 5) to eat their tea, it's absolutely throwing it down outside and this woman is beeping her horn, refusing to get out of her car coz of the dog.

I went out to her and she says she's been trying to ring me and I've not been answering my phone. I always answer my phone unless I'm doing a relaxation treatment, in which case I always respond to any messages as soon as I have finished the treatment.

This lady asks for a gift voucher for a deluxe treatment and, I quote, "I want a discount". Now, I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to quote prices here so please tell me off but, I charge £35 for a deluxe treatment which includes a foot soak, foot scrub, toe nail cut and file, corn and hard skin removal (I'm a Foot Health Practitioner as well), and a reflexology treatment. I normally charge £25 for a reflexology treatment (the cheapest around here).
A chiropodist would charge £20 for a toe nail cut and file and then extra for a corn and hard skin removal. I don't know a chiropodist that would do a foot soak and scub so they would need to see a beautician which would cost about £10+. So this lady was getting £55+ of treatments for £35 and she sat and argued with me for a discount.
I'm stood there in the pouring rain, with three kids waiting to see their cousins christmas play with no tea in them and this women wants even more of a discount than £20+. I stood my ground and she brought the gift voucher but this has been playing on my mind ever since. Am I too cheap?

Should I increase my prices? Should I have just said to this woman come back in the morning? How do you say to people that turn up at your door "I'm off duty, come back tomorrow"? I'm having a lot of people turn up at my door at the moment. I had a lady on Christmas Eve turn up at 10pm at night wanting an appointment for her mum(????) Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Mandy

Well done for not caving in and giving out a discount! You really need to update your website and let clients know that you do not take walk in appointments (have this info on all your marketing brochures, business cards etc.) Maybe you could also have a little notice on your front door as well so that someone might think twice before ringing your doorbell...

I also think that if you know you are charging less than you deserve then you should think about increasing your treatment costs - January is a perfect time to do that!

Latest posts

Back