Should I invest in an electric file???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fairynice

Reaction score
:irked:
well, when it comes to rebalance time, it seems to take forever to do and i was wandering whether an electric file would save time.
it takes me about an hour to prep and rebalance the nails ready for me to apply acrylic.
i don't have a problem in doing it, it is mainly the efficiency value.
if i was to purchase an electric file what brand would be best and does any1 know of any courses in using 1 in the south west???
anna:eek:

Hiya , its entirely up to you hun, and i am sure others will give you some info on e-files but ... are you sure you are not making hard work for yourself....?? i mean taking off what doesn't need taking off...or putting to much on in the first place....??

Hiya , its entirely up to you hun, and i am sure others will give you some info on e-files but ... are you sure you are not making hard work for yourself....?? i mean taking off what doesn't need taking off...or putting to much on in the first place....??

Have to agree here, I use an efile purely because I have back problems that mean I cant hand file but it doesn't save me time, still takes me 1 hour to 1 and a 1/2 hours to do a rebalance I found the way to shorten your time is to not put the product on in the first place:lol:
If you are set on this, then you need to contact either NSI or Young nails they both run courses all over the country with local educators but hold on to your bank card, a good machine is not cheap. Nor is the course to use it.

hi ya bagpuss,
i don't believe this is the case, my theory is in working practise as i file behind the lifting so the lifted area just pops off but this seems to take 4ever.
maybe it's because i'm concerned that i don't want to give my clients the ring of fire and am not filing aggressively.
rebalancing is also a new to me as i qualified in june last year and didn't start doing nails properly til just before xmas.
does it get easier the more you do? i just want to be more proficient for myself and my clients sake.
anna

Have to agree here, I use an efile purely because I have back problems that mean I cant hand file but it doesn't save me time, still takes me 1 hour to 1 and a 1/2 hours to do a rebalance I found the way to shorten your time is to not put the product on in the first place:lol:
If you are set on this, then you need to contact either NSI or Young nails they both run courses all over the country with local educators but hold on to your bank card, a good machine is not cheap. Nor is the course to use it.
thanks for that susie, there was me thinking it would save me time, but if not then maybe i should just stick to hand filing. though reading other threads an e file is good for rebalancing the pink and whites?
as for bank card.. my dog is having puppies so i shall have some cash handy soon....
anna

hi ya bagpuss,
i don't believe this is the case, my theory is in working practise as i file behind the lifting so the lifted area just pops off but this seems to take 4ever.
maybe it's because i'm concerned that i don't want to give my clients the ring of fire and am not filing aggressively.
rebalancing is also a new to me as i qualified in june last year and didn't start doing nails properly til just before xmas.
does it get easier the more you do? i just want to be more proficient for myself and my clients sake.
anna

They key here then is to eliminate the lifting.... even with a e-file you could cause rings of fire. As you mention lots of filing and lifting, i just thought i would mention that a enhancement that is too thick...especially in zone 3 will lift.

Its early days hun and i would concentrate on your application rather than thinking an e-file will solve your problems...:hug:

If you are going to the trade show in march i would hold off buying one till you go there,
a company called Italy hair and beauty sell them and last year had some great deals on saving 100`s of pounds hth
by the way you will find it will only save you about 10 to 15 Min's on your rebalance and you will needs loads of practise before you feel brave enough to use it on the clients,
i do know of a geek on here that is selling one second hand but more or less unused if you are interested i will let you know who,
its not me if you wondered :lol:

Definitely work on perfecting your application. That is the single fastest way to reduce your filing time and it will eliminate lifting problems.

I do have and use an efile, mainly for working off another tech's work that is lifting or causing other problems. If you know anyone who has one, ask if you could try it out on a few practice tips. The quality of the handpiece makes an enormous difference between machines.

S

hi ya bagpuss,
anna

i agree with bagpuss....if yu work on your application and prep then the lifting will not be there hun.....are you putting to much in zone 3 (cuticle)? if your having to file of lifting then that could be your problem of taking to long....get rid of lifting...then your not taking to much time with rebalance....as for e-file....you have to get training to use one...a lot of geeks use one ...alot of geeks dont....its up to you...xx

I too agree with Bagpuss.

Maybe some 121 tuition on rebalancing would be more suitable atm,IMO it's better to perfect your technique before moving onto an alternative method iykwim. Hth's x

I used to also have a lifting problem. I use gel. I used to think applying 'more' would give more strength. After more training I found this not to be the case. Now keeping it thinner in zone 3 prevents that 'pop off' effect. I too have thought about investing in an e-file. But have persevered with manual filing and improving my application. When the application is right, filing is kept to a minimum. Keep going you'll get there x

I think that an electric file is good to have. Once you get the hang of it, it will make backfills easier. And as far as breaking the bank, I just bought one on ebay for 50.00 with shipping. It came from china. Its a Mani Pro made by Kupa, and they sell in the magazines here in the US for $150-$250. if your interested just do a search on nail drills on ebay. good luck.

I think that an electric file is good to have. Once you get the hang of it, it will make backfills easier. And as far as breaking the bank, I just bought one on ebay for 50.00 with shipping. It came from china. Its a Mani Pro made by Kupa, and they sell in the magazines here in the US for $150-$250. if your interested just do a search on nail drills on ebay. good luck.

With all due respect we as professional should not be purchasing equipment like this from the likes of ebay

If you are going to the trade show in march i would hold off buying one till you go there,
a company called Italy hair and beauty sell them and last year had some great deals on saving 100`s of pounds hth
by the way you will find it will only save you about 10 to 15 Min's on your rebalance and you will needs loads of practise before you feel brave enough to use it on the clients,
i do know of a geek on here that is selling one second hand but more or less unused if you are interested i will let you know who,
its not me if you wondered :lol:

yes, i shall be going to the trade show hopefully.
although it would be gr8 if u could let me know who's selling 1 as i then have that as an option when i have weighed up everything.
pm me if u like
anna :)

Maybe some 121 tuition on rebalancing would be more suitable atm,IMO it's better to perfect your technique before moving onto an alternative method iykwim. Hth's x

thanks, that was what i was thinking hence thread... :)

I don't do enough nails to justify an efile purchase. But I must admit I feel the same way about how long it takes me to do a rebalance. What keeps me going is all the pro techs on here that do it in a timely manner by hand. That tells me.... it can be done, and I can do it!

I am having some lifting issues too and removing the lifting makes me give up the will to live. It takes sooooo long.

I agree that solving the lifting issues will speed things up.

I'm still a student but bought one for a little practice on myself and my friends/family but it is now gathering dust! I'm getting better with my application and prefer my handfile at the moment. With my handfile I have 100% control and I am getting better with my filing technique also.

i think that'd be a gr8 idea, i am looking @ doing a conversion so hopefully i would cover this.
anna:)

:irked:
well, when it comes to rebalance time, it seems to take forever to do and i was wandering whether an electric file would save time.
it takes me about an hour to prep and rebalance the nails ready for me to apply acrylic.
i don't have a problem in doing it, it is mainly the efficiency value.
if i was to purchase an electric file what brand would be best and does any1 know of any courses in using 1 in the south west???
anna:eek:
Hi Anna,
I would say yes to an e file, I bought mine form NSI, expensive £*** inc vat, But if you buy at a trade show, they ususally do a vat free offer, (they do have cheaper models) But training is a must, or you won't be insured to use it. Training with NSI is £*** + vat, But if you buy your e file from them before your training, the training is only £** + vat. So if you can manage an NSI near to you, buy both e file & training at the show & save vat on both.
I don't use mine a lot, but when I get a client with very thick nails done bt another tech, I use it. Also I use it on myself if I want to take my enhancements off, only use it on my left hand, then use traditional file for my right had, saves me some time. I have never used it to finish with as they do in the Asian NSS places, I haven't found the need to, but I have seen it done. We all know NEVER is it to be used on a natural nail plate, I have had many clients who have been to our local NSS place and told me of sore nails, when questioned, they told me the electric thing was used 1st ...........Aghhhh!!!!
Try before you buy if you can. Happy nails lotsa luv x :hug: :hug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Anna,

Personally, you need to address the lifting, which should be your first area for concern hun.

Check out this tutorial by Sam which should help you loads, it did
me.http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/3007-perfect-preparation.html

Practise with your new prep routine and check application. When these are right, lifting will be a thing of the past, rebalances will be so much quicker, and you'll of savesd yourself a good few hundred quid!

Latest posts

Back