Should I just give in?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone I really appreciate your comments. I'll keep practising and hopefully my confidence will grow as I get better xx

I completed my Gelish training in December 2013 I didn't feel very confident either. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1406029035.567841.jpg
This was one of the first Gelish manicures I ever did. It's not great but I asked friends and family and I kept practising. I still don't feel all that confident with some aspects of nail art etc but it takes time. Keep practising, you will get there in the end!

Love the colour! They look fab to me for someone who's recently trained and saying they aren't confident, when you should be! Don't be so hard on yourself, for a beginner i'd be very happy with those :)

Thanks Hun, I just keep comparing myself to other techs who have been doing nails for years now.. Hopefully with practise I'll be more confident as time goes on x

I completed my Gelish training in December 2013 I didn't feel very confident either. View attachment 71057
This was one of the first Gelish manicures I ever did. It's not great but I asked friends and family and I kept practising. I still don't feel all that confident with some aspects of nail art etc but it takes time. Keep practising, you will get there in the end!

I'm hoping to do the nail art class & acrylic once I've perfected these cuticle lines. I think your first go though u did pretty well.

I'm hoping to do the nail art class & acrylic once I've perfected these cuticle lines. I think your first go though u did pretty well.

I did the Gelish design day and it was FAB! Best thing ever!
Once my LO is born in October I will be looking to book onto the acrylic course for next year. Can't wait to do it, I love L&P!

I'm very critical of my own work and personally I think my first attempt is awful! I've become so much better at my technique since then.

You are so good at combining colours. Well done. I love them. Im such a glitter girl though. Id love to hear how you get on as I am just doing my training too. I am quite hard on myself and want to be perfect straight away do put crazy pressure on myself. Hadnt even had acrylic nails till a week ago and now ive put 4 sets on people. Pretty amazing really........

I'm now trying to start a mobile business from nails and massage. Your nails look good, I would be happy if I had walked away with those nails. But I am the same as you, I struggle with confidence with nails so I have asked all my friends if I can do their nails over the next few months for free so I can practice and not just techniques also timing for me. But since starting it I am slowly gaining more confidence. So definitely don't give up just practice until you feel confident. Xx

Hi Sweetie just before I answer I want to clarify that this post isn't meant to be nasty although I know I'm gonna get shot down by others on here. But if you are thinking about giving up before you have even started maybe that is the best choice for you.
I think the work that you attached is lovely, but in this industry you will get eaten alive by clients. Some people who are prospective clients are people look who want cheap and quick as possible and always will know somebody cheaper or better or quicker or someone who's enhancements last longer etc. these types will take you for a ride and shake anyone's confidence! There are occasions when you have client you get on really well with but this normally happens after two or three appointments with them when they trust your judgement on what colour suits them and they are happy with how you apply your colour but your first impression with the client is what makes all the difference and if you're a gibbering wreck who is unsure in their own work it will show on your face big style.
I don't write this to put you off, I write this to encourage you to take more time to practice. Get yourself a nail trainer, paint on popsticks, get some friends and family round, practice on your other half if you need to make sure when you finally do strike out on your own, you're more confident then you are now. I would hate to see you give up because people take chunks out of you, I found that when I first started people would make comments about my work and other nail techs my local area would do stupid things like commenting on my page and stuff like that you need to be really assured in your work before you can promote yourself to others.
I wish you the best of luck in whatever decision you make xx

💕💅 Keep calm and make 'em Gelish 💅💕

Thought id just let you know ive taken inspiration from ur nails and done an accent nail with the nail trends over like in ur pic x

Thought id just let you know ive taken inspiration from ur nails and done an accent nail with the nail trends over like in ur pic x

If your after loads more inspiration, get yourself on Pinterest. There's so many ideas on there. It's really helpful when your stuck for ideas :) x

They look lovely! I'd have you do my nails! Can you practice on your friends and family and just charge them a bit less just to get your confidence up? Maybe ask them to bring photos of what they'd like so it puts you on the spot a little as this will prepare you for future clients? They look fab though well done! Xx

I'm new to nails and not long done my course with nail harmony for Gelish. I'm really considering giving up before I've even started! I'm currently setting up a nail room from home and just have no confidence what so ever (within my self) there is a lot of nail techs and salons around my area but only 2 that do Gelish( others are shellac) so was hoping id do well. My problem is I don't think I'm very good at getting that perfect cuticle line. I don't do any other nails but Gelish either. I've been looking at other nail techs work on their Facebook pages and just think how am I going to get clients in when they have been doing it a lot longer than me and offer more things (acrylics) so they're obviously better as they have more practice. I keep thinking why would someone come to me rather than go to someone with more variety and experience :( I've paid so much money already I just don't want to be spending more that I haven't got for it to not go anywhere! Sorry for the long rant ladies.. I've attached a pic of my own nails that I did today.. Could I please get your honest opinions to whether or not they're good enough? Thank u xxView attachment 71004
They look fab! Dont give up you can only get better [emoji178][emoji178]

Never forget that there is always the possibility that the professional pics you aspire to may have been tweaked in photoshop.

I had a friend once who died of cancer. A week or so before he passed he said to me ‘It’s not the things you did you’ll regret... it’s the things you didn’t do’. I’ve remembered this always and now pass it on to you.

Go for it!

I’ve got my gel nail course in 2 days but don’t give up. I’m qualified in spray tanning and there is many around my area to, you just gotta put determination in and stick at it. Them nails you have done look lovely, I’d defiantly have something like that for the summer if my nails were longer.

This thread is from July 2014 over 3 and a half years ago so I would assume the original poster is either a very busy nail tech now or has given up :)

Haha, so it is! :-D

Latest posts

Back