Should I let my dog have babies?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
Please bear with me if this is long, I'm thinking out loud but I'll try not to ramble.

My dog is my baby, I love her to bits. She's a german shepherd and she's my pride and joy. We had decided to have her spayed when she reaches adulthood. Anyway, she'll be 2 years old this year, and she has come in season for the second time. Now my husband has sprung it on me that he thinks it might be good for her to let her have a litter of puppies.

We had heard that it can help their temperment. She's a lovely dog, really friendly, but she's still really giddy, and we have been told that having a litter might help her calm down and mature. We decided that this would happen in time anyway, so decided not to let her, but now the time is here to spay her, my husband is having second thoughts.

My first and foremost concern is for my dog. I dont want to have her suffering from pregnancy related complications, nor do I want to send any pups off to homes that will not care for them properly. If we did let her, I would make sure that she has regular vets appointments to make sure everything is ok, and i will strictly vet any potential buyers for the pups.

I'm so torn now, I dont know what to do for the best. Does anyone have any experience they can share, or can you think of any other factors that I should be considering that I havent mentioned?

I would absolutely love to have little pups running around, the danger is me not letting them go! However, I have to be realistic and do what is best for all of us including our dog. If its feasible I would consider it but I just need to make sure I have thought everything through properly.

I've let my bitch have 4 litters so here are my thoughts on your quesion.
First of all you will get a few peple telling you that it's a good idea and others will say it wont make any difference to her temprement.
My bitch calmed down a lot after her 1st litter but that could have been down to her age (she was 2) they say a dog is still a pup (in temperment) till that age.
If you do decide to have pups apart from the vetting and costs you will have to do, think hard about the extra work you will have and the time spent just 'doing' for your dog.
I have been house bound for two weeks with every litter because I don't like to leave her alone at the start and even when i start to leave her i won't go out for more than an hour or two at a time.
Puppies, if you haven't got a spare room or heated shed/outhouse, take up a lot of space..the whelping box alone can take over .... for an allsation it'll be a huge box:lol:
When your dog is in labour you have to be with her (usually happens at night)all the time and be prepared for any complications and be aware of the signs.you also need to be aware of signs of complications for days after she give birth.
Saying that I loved having the pups...and my dog didn't suffer any ill effects.She's retired now because she is my pet not a breeding machine and i think 4 litters is more than enough for her.
If you need any more help please feel free to pm me because i could go on and on about this :lol::lol:
xxx:hug:xxx

My thoughts are this:

There are sooooooooooooooooooo many unwanted and abandoned animals already, why add to it?
I am NOT saying that YOU would do so.
but we can never be sure of those that purchase/abandon a pet.

By minimizing the reproduction so to speak.., perhaps (a hopeful thought) someone will chose one from the 'unwanteds' and give them a home instead?

My thoughts are this:

There are sooooooooooooooooooo many unwanted and abandoned animals already, why add to it?
I am NOT saying that YOU would do so.
but we can never be sure of those that purchase/abandon a pet.

By minimizing the reproduction so to speak.., perhaps (a hopeful thought) someone will chose one from the 'unwanteds' and give them a home instead?
I agree - I'd be so concerned about who ended up with one of the puppies I'd probably want to keep them all knowing they'd be looked after.

There are over 80,000 animals put to sleep every year in shelters. (uk)
Thats all I'm saying.

I feel I have to add (before I'm branded as a puppy factory) that I have a system in place that ensures that none of my pups end up in the situations mentioned above.
I vet each prospective owner, I visit their homes to see if they have the right enviroment and that their lifestyle can accomdate a new puppy and the grown up dog that it will be.
If I am unable to visit the haome myself I ask for a check to be done by a local animal oranisation.
I keep in touch with ALL the new owners and make a contract with them saying that, if they are no longer able to look after the dog for whatever reason, I have to be informed and have a say as to where the pup is rehomed.This has happend only once and the dog was rehomed sucsesfully.
It is imporatant to try and find out before hand if you have enough people genuinly interested in having an allsation. (BEAUTIFULL... BUT BIG DOGS)
Mine are westies, that are a popular breed, and easy to home.
Yes I do worry about each and every pup after it's left me (and I shed a few tears evry time:o)but having this system in place does, atleast, give me some peace of mind and prevents my pups from becoming a statistic.
xxx:hug:xxx

Now I know my dog is only little compared to yours, she is a welsh terrier.

We thought about doing the same but decided to get her spayed instead.

She was a complete nutter till she was three when we had her done, the vet said to let her have at least 3 or 4 seasons before to allow her hormone levels to settle in properly then decide. Once she was spayed she calmed down no end and started to listen to us and is now a fairly obedient dog (wont give you the stick or ball back coz they are hers!) and a joy to have around.

We decided not to let her have puppies because I would have felt so guilty if one of them had gone to a home I had veted and still been treated badly, also my hubs knew I would want to keep one or two or all of them and that the emotional impact would have been too distressing for me and our daughter (did'nt include himself in that one, but that's who he really meant).

Hope this helps. :hug:

I would say have a really long think about it and weigh up all the pros and cons first. My dog had a litter of 11 pups last year (one died), she is a labrador. It was a lot of work! Loved it all but a lot of heartache too, especially when the pups got ill and huge vet fees! When the pups got homes it was so sad too, although we kept 2.

We were worried that we might not get homes for them all as I like Del said am very strict about where they were going. We told all the new owners that any probs at all the pups could be returned to us, we could have sold our pups 10 timed over as it turned out.

People looking for german shepards will probably want to know if your dog has been hip scored and eye checked etc., so that is something to look into as well. Good luck with what you decide. :hug:

Just to add we are still in touch with the new owners and often get new pics of the pups as they are growing up.

Last edited:
my hubbys parents breed dogs , so have seen my share of huge litters ! theres a lot of work , his mum ends up having to help em deliver the pups , breaking the bag open etc..
then they stay up 24 hrs a day to watch em until they are a bit bigger so mum doesnt squash em
then you have the injections, worming , etc...
not to mention if the dog needs a c section !! which costs a fortune :eek:
daves mum and dad dont make any money from breeding they do it to keep their "lines " going,
i personally couldnt be bothered with all the fuss but then i am lazy :lol:
at the end of the day hun its up to you , you do what you feel is the best option xxxxx

Doesn't the snip also help with calming a dogs temprement?

I have to go with the thing of there are too many rescue and abandon dogs out there am afraid hunnie, although a friend of mine breeds Huskies - she is always under a lot of stress and strain with them all. Some get bounced back to her as they don't settle and she gets so worried and upset with this as the poor dogs don't know what going on, etc. She also ends up keeping some so her household increases with ever litter born! Vet wise it could become very expensive and do you really have the time - and you will need a lot of time as my friend does away from work - is your business ready for that?

It is a huge decision hunnie it really is.

I have 2 German Shephards, one is 7 and one is just about to turn 2. My youngest is my baby, I love her to pieces, she is my absolute treasure. I have never ever been told that letting them have puppies calms them down, my oldest is really calm and she has never had puppies.

I also haven't had either of them sprayed, simply because if your dog has already had one of her seasons, then there is every chance that she will still get cancer and other infections even when she has been seen to. Also, my vet advised me that a lot of dogs put on a lot of weight when they are sprayed.

If I were you, I'd leave her be, it's different if she was a dog and was constantly attacking neighbours legs. I certainly wouldn't be looking at having puppies, that should be left to professionals. I would only ever go to a professional for a dog, never someone who is just doing it as a bit of fun.

I don't know anything about German shepherds.........but i have a little dog,cross between a yorky and jack Russel............

Now , we were going to bread her BUT my concerns were.......she IS our baby of our family....implications in birth, when its time to give them to new owners (i could not)......its up to you but i am not doing it....good luck with what you decide hun xxxxxxxx:hug:

Take hubby to a local animal shelter and have a good look around at all the adult pure breed dogs that are looking for homes, all at one time were pups all were paid for most with a pedigree and for one reason or another have ended up in the shelter. Then there are the ones who are put down with the excuse, I cant cope any more.
I have had 4 gsd over the years they are a fantastic breed and yes the terrible two's do apply to this breed, I think she is to young to breed from, she is in human terms a 14year old,
Hubby would do better to take her to a gsd classes, that will do far more to settle her down, because it will engage her mind, they are a very intelligent breed, the reason breeding them sometimes settles them down is because of how much it takes out of them.
I spent 6 years working for the Belgium RSPCA I lost count of how many dogs I personally put down how many kittens I put into a sealed box and poured eatha in the top to put them to sleep because at the hight of the season we would have over a hundred kittens a day coming in.
I am not anti breeding, I love my dog and couldn't live without her, I've had my own dog from when I was 11 years old, but breed for the right reason.
I hope I haven't offended you, thats not my intent, but I have to speak out on this, gsd's are very common, and end up in shelters a lot, and are difficult to rehome because they are one man or woman dogs and don't rebond well, and most people don't understand them.

Take hubby to a local animal shelter and have a good look around at all the adult pure breed dogs that are looking for homes, all at one time were pups all were paid for most with a pedigree and for one reason or another have ended up in the shelter. Then there are the ones who are put down with the excuse, I cant cope any more.
I have had 4 gsd over the years they are a fantastic breed and yes the terrible two's do apply to this breed, I think she is to young to breed from, she is in human terms a 14year old,
Hubby would do better to take her to a gsd classes, that will do far more to settle her down, because it will engage her mind, they are a very intelligent breed, the reason breeding them sometimes settles them down is because of how much it takes out of them.
I spent 6 years working for the Belgium RSPCA I lost count of how many dogs I personally put down how many kittens I put into a sealed box and poured eatha in the top to put them to sleep because at the hight of the season we would have over a hundred kittens a day coming in.
I am not anti breeding, I love my dog and couldn't live without her, I've had my own dog from when I was 11 years old, but breed for the right reason.
I hope I haven't offended you, thats not my intent, but I have to speak out on this, gsd's are very common, and end up in shelters a lot, and are difficult to rehome because they are one man or woman dogs and don't rebond well, and most people don't understand them.

I think what you have said is fantastic. I personally couldn't agree with you more. My youngest dog, Flash is mine, but the eldes, Jess in my husband's.

Hi,

I have a westie she is nearly 2 years old, and even though these little dogs are very expensive to buy as a puppy, I would never breed off her as I bought her soley as a PET.

Im due to have her SPAYED shortly as when she is on heat she becomes very grumpy, and thats not her at all she is a great little character, the vet has told me that when she has been spayed she will calm down.

I personally wouldnt breed from her, but thats just my opinion!!

hope this helps!!!
Angie

There are over 80,000 animals put to sleep every year in shelters. (uk)
Thats all I'm saying.

My point exactly:cry:

Now PLEASE don't misunderstand me!! PLEASE.
I am NOT branding anyone as a puppy farm!!

My question to you is WHY would you breed your dog?
Is it for the added income? (I personally am against this... just a personal thing, I wouldn't put my children in modelling either. NOT a judgement. Just a personal thing.)
Some people just want their dog's to have at least one experience before neutering them. I dont' know why. Never understood that. Dogs aren't like people. They don't know that XYZ with the neighbor's mutt will produce puppies.

Now, I'll be honest. I have grown up with dogs all my life. And 3 of them were abandoned dogs we adopted. My last one - George - is a purebred/tattooed/registered Pekingese. I also had his sister - Gracie.
I had planned getting one from the SPCA and boyfriend at the time was against it, and I let him talk me out of it.
Gracie I ended up having to find an old couple to care for her, as she was nasty with children and anyone else but me. So, while I had the best intentions and care for my pets very much, I had to 'abandon' her so to speak. Thankfully, I found a good home for her.
While I LOVE my Georgie and wouldn't give him up.
I regret my decision.
I don't love him any more or less than I would an abandoned dog.
But.. knowing what I know....

I think that if people adopted the abandoned ones more often, as opposed to shopping at pet shops or with breeders, then pet shops/breeders would produce less, which would mean less unwanted animals.

So, if you consider that a potential buyer might choose an abandon puppy/dog if yours wasn't available.... and that poor critter had another chance at life; wouldn't you want to give it to him/her?
That's my thought.

Again, PLEASE PLEASE do not take anything I say as a criticism or a judgement. It's NOT meant that way.
It's only food for thought.

:hug:

I'd say no. Who benefits? No-one! Mugs like me end up spending so much free time fundraising for a local charity that gives out vouchers for people to get their pets neutered/spayed. Mugs like me end up with a house full of animals because people seem to think it's a good idea to let their bitch/queen have a litter before they get her 'done'.
It's all well and good vetting potential new mummys and daddys - but what if THEY dont get their new little baby 'done'? And we end up with more and more unwanted animals?

I am not criticising anyone here, and I appreciate that most of us geeks ADORE animals, but please - ignore any old wives tales about breeding being good for a bitches temperement !

best of luck xxx

I used to be a veterinary nurse for 6 years so feel able to give you some advise on this:

Firstly as german shepherds are prone to having hip dysplasia it would be strongly recommended to have her hip scored before she is mated. (i am not sure if you have already done this) but this involves them having a general anaesthetic and an xray taken to assess the condition of her hips, the results are then sent back to your veterinary surgeon and depending on the results that should give you an indication on how good/bad her hips are and depening on the average hip score for german shepherds on wheter it is advisable to breed from her. Hips scores can cost in the region of £200 depending on the veterinary surgery that you use and what they charge - best to contact your vets for advise on this.

I would recommend you contact your veterinary surgeon for advise on wheter to breed; they will be able to give you full advise on this - often qualified veterinary nurses may be able to give you advise over the phone?

Looking after your bitch during pregnancy can be very stresfull and time consuming - especially when the puppies are due and first born - assessing each puppy as they grow - weighing them; making sure they are all eating and growing well, in some cases when there is a large litter you may have to bottle feed the puppies to ensure they are getting enough feed etc.

Complications can also be expensive - mammary infections; or even difficulty giving birth may result in a caesarean section - this is again expensive (insurance companies tend not to cover for this as breeding is seen as selective).

Spaying her may calm her down slightly but shouldn't change her personality too much. As for weigh gain providing you keep an eye on her weight (some vets offer free nurse appointments for weight checks) and keep her excercise levels increased it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would advise spaying her wheter or not you breed, one of the advantages of this is reduced risk in infection of the uterus (this is quite a common condition that will involve emergency surgery to remove her womb and can be life threatening).

Might be worth contacting the kennel club for advise from them on potential stud dogs and they may be able to put you in touch with a breeder in your area who you can obtain more advise from?

Hope this is of some help? And good luck with what ever you decide!

Sorry its so long!!

Hi everyone

Thankyou so much for all your advice, you have really given me lots to think about, and I'm not offended by anyone, I'm glad you have spoken your minds frankly and honestly.

Its hard to say why I'm unsure about this, when a few days ago it was pretty much signed and sealed that we would be having her spayed. She is a fantastic dog with a fantastic temperament, we have taken her to GSD classes since she was 6 months old and so she is well behaved, but she's still a giddy pup, except she's a 35 kilo giddy pup!! I think its for this reason that I'm wavering, because I had been told that this might be how she stays until she has some pups.

I agree with what everyone has said about the issue of unwanted animals, and if we did decide to go ahead with this I would have to make sure I have potential buyers first as I would only feel comfortable letting them go to homes that I know, allowing for ongoing contact if they dont cope.

German shepherds can be a handful if you dont know how to deal with them. Although my dog is a pedigree, I was thinking that if we did decide to do this I would prefer to cross breed her with, for example, a border collie. The reason for this is that I think certain breeds of dog can attract morons who just want a "hard" dog, and they mistreat the dog in order to nurture the aggressive side of their temparement, and so I think that cross breeding might produce pups that are more like family pets than potential guard dogs.

ooooooooohhhhhhhh I dont know!!! I think my gut instinct is telling me no, because there are just too many implications to consider, both for my dog and any pups she may have. Also, she's my baby, I love her so much, and I dont want a mister dog to violate her:lol::lol:.

Thankyou again for all your advice, I cant tell you how helpful you have all been:hug:

Hi everyone

Thankyou so much for all your advice, you have really given me lots to think about, and I'm not offended by anyone, I'm glad you have spoken your minds frankly and honestly.

Its hard to say why I'm unsure about this, when a few days ago it was pretty much signed and sealed that we would be having her spayed. She is a fantastic dog with a fantastic temperament, we have taken her to GSD classes since she was 6 months old and so she is well behaved, but she's still a giddy pup, except she's a 35 kilo giddy pup!! I think its for this reason that I'm wavering, because I had been told that this might be how she stays until she has some pups.She will probably steady up at about the age of three when she matures, it would be best to keep socializing her because otherwise when she steadies, she could very well become anti- social.

I agree with what everyone has said about the issue of unwanted animals, and if we did decide to go ahead with this I would have to make sure I have potential buyers first as I would only feel comfortable letting them go to homes that I know, allowing for ongoing contact if they dont cope.
What if they move away or get rid of the dog with out telling you?

German shepherds can be a handful if you dont know how to deal with them. Although my dog is a pedigree, I was thinking that if we did decide to do this I would prefer to cross breed her with, for example, a border collie.For gods sake PLEASE do not cross breed. There are even more of these put to sleep each year then pure breeds. and border collies are working dogs that are known for their bad behavior when turned into pets.
The reason for this is that I think certain breeds of dog can attract morons who just want a "hard" dog, and they mistreat the dog in order to nurture the aggressive side of their temparement, and so I think that cross breeding might produce pups that are more like family pets than potential guard dogs.

ooooooooohhhhhhhh I dont know!!! I think my gut instinct is telling me no, because there are just too many implications to consider, both for my dog and any pups she may have. Also, she's my baby, I love her so much, and I dont want a mister dog to violate her:lol::lol:.

Thankyou again for all your advice, I cant tell you how helpful you have all been:hug:
Final point, your teenager, will give everything she has to her babies, by the time they are born she will have a dull coat, be open to infections and will look like you haven't given her a proper feed for at least a month.
She could get blood infections and transfusions in dogs are not very successful.
Talk to your vet about the risks ask him about the chances of her dying ask him about the chances of the pups dying.
I have only ever had one gsd through my hands at the shelter that aged 6 was still totally mad, lovely but mad I changed his diet:irked: then took him home, great dog.
Oh yes one last thing, some bitches become aggressive when they have pups. There is no way to tell when this is going to happen.

Latest posts

Back