Should I tell my boss I'm leaving?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpina

Reaction score
Sorry in advance, cause this is a long story!

Well I'm currently working for a salon. I started a couple of months ago, and she made it clear that there was no permanent job for me because she had just put the salon up for sale and she is going to move overseas.

In the meantime I have registered a business of my own and I'm painting and getting ready to open up on my own.

I just found out yesterday that someone has bought the business and they take over in six weeks.

So my dilema... Do I just tell her my plans now and stay with her untill the new owners take over? But on the other hand, the new boss may offer me a permanant job there which would suit me better because I don't have enough clients really to start on my own. I'm just worried that if I tell her I'm starting my own salon, she won't try to "sell" me to the new owner as well.

One other thing, I haven't been offically told that the salon is sold. I overheard her telling a client yesterday. She's not secretive about any of the details, she will talk about it when I'm in the room, but I was there yesterday and she did'nt tell me.

Maybe I should wait untill she tells me before I mention anything? Or am I just making a big deal out of nothing by worrying about this?

What I would do is tell the old owner that you just happen to over hear that someone has bought the salon and you would like to know where you stand.
Ask her if it would be possible to talk to the new owner so you can feel more secure about working there or not.

The worse thing she could tell you is No , right?

If you want someone to be up front and honest, you sometimes need to ask that person .

Your right, I should just ask her. Maybe she just thinks that I'm not interested in what's happening because she really isn't being secretive about it.

I'd agree with Jayne here. Tell her that you overheard her conversation and ask who and when the new owner takes over. Maybe you could then have a chat with him/her, see how you get on and then take a decision then. I wouldn't tell either new or old owner that you are considering leaving - don't burn your bridges just yet. Hang fire for now and see how it all pans out.

Sounds good. I wanted to be the one to tell the old boss, not someone else tell her. But I definately don't want the new boss to know just in case I get offered permanent full time.

So, I will mention what I overheard, but not let them know what I am doing yet.

Thanks for the advice guys, sometimes it just helps to get another perspective on things.

I agree with the others here.

Good luck hun. xx

I'd agree with Jayne here. Tell her that you overheard her conversation and ask who and when the new owner takes over. Maybe you could then have a chat with him/her, see how you get on and then take a decision then. I wouldn't tell either new or old owner that you are considering leaving - don't burn your bridges just yet. Hang fire for now and see how it all pans out.

Totally agree with this:) Dont burn your bridges just yet. you may really take to the new owner and really want to work for him/her and then maybe just do your own clients in your spare time.
Good luck, hope that it all works out for you xxx

Ok, after everyones advice - thanks guys - I decided to ask her today. Anyway, she beat me to it and told me what's going on. So the new owner takes over in four weeks but she knows about me and hasn't agreed to take on any staff. I will be meeting her soon though so I will give her my resume anyway and see what happens then.

I ended up telling my boss what I plan to do with my salon, but that I would prefer to find an employed job if possible. She was really helpful, because she is in the same situation as me, with starting a business when she was young.

So, I don't have a job as of next month and haven't officially opened my salon - will play it by ear and see what the next month brings.

Thanks for all the good advice everyone.

Just wanted to wish you all the best for the future what ever you decide to do!! :hug: I'm sure it will all work out for the best!! :)

Whew..Glad that is over with eh? :D
The best of Luck to you.

Funny how things work out!

Latest posts

Back