Should Salons & Mobile charge the same ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spray people in my garage and make a heck of a lot of money from it.

I hope you at least close the garage door! LOL I have this vision of your clients standing there in their little disposable thongs with passers-by (a little old lady in a raincoat with one of those little rainmate hats on, a kid on a skateboard, a scruffy dog....) turning their heads as they wander by so they can have a good nosy whilst your poor client cringes with embarrassment!!:Scared:

I hope you at least close the garage door! LOL I have this vision of your clients standing there in their little disposable thongs with passers-by (a little old lady in a raincoat with one of those little rainmate hats on, a kid on a skateboard, a scruffy dog....) turning their heads as they wander by so they can have a good nosy whilst your poor client cringes with embarrassment!!:Scared:
:lol::lol::lol:
I shut the door honest!
I've made it look as good as I can but at the end of the day its a garage!
I think the neighbours sometimes wonder why I have so many friends but it keeps them alive and gives them something to talk about:)

i aint read all this thread, but i charge the same - when i rented space in a salon it was £34 for full set, and still is if its a mobile client - i usually find that i get better tips of the mobile clients tho - cos most of them realise that you have put yourself out to go to them and saving them the bother

Thanks for all your comments :)

Its great to see different points of view. I think im still kind of on the fence for this one !!

Has anyone gone from being salon based to mobile and kept salon clients ? If so did you charge the same or less ?

i went from mobile to salon based and didn't raise my prices....same charge.

Iv been mobile then had a salon and then gone back mobile again.

Prices are the same as salon - they are paying for me, MY services My skills.

I admit I hate facials at home because of what has been said already and think its fab that some of you have overcome these problems and turned them into a positive.

Charge what your worth I say.

i can see both sides to be honest , and my prices are a bit lower than salons but i am happy with them, but i had a waxing client once who had a nail tech and she paid a lot more for her to go to her house, when i asked her about it , she did say that she thought the mobile girl was right to charge more to cover the travel time etc.. so you see some clients are expecting to pay more :green:,
the main thing is we are all happy with what we are charging :green:

We do have overheads like petrol, wear and tear on vehicles and also have to allow for travelling time in between clients that we don't get paid for.
This is such a valid point, here.

When I worked in a salon, we almost had the clients on a conveyor belt....next....next ...next....

Obviously I'm not insinuating that all salons treat their clients in such a way. The point that I'm trying to make here, is that the time it takes for a mobile tech to get to their client, say 15mins there, 15 mins back, plus packing up your cases etc. You can't possibly get a client in back to back. Unless you have two clients in the same house that is.
So we are talking about at the very least half an hour between clients. You are not physically able to get the same amount of work in as a salon could.

Charge accordingly I say.:)

Iv been mobile then had a salon and then gone back mobile again.

Prices are the same as salon - they are paying for me, MY services My skills.

I can hand on heart say that there is no one gives what I give in a service...but I admit I hate facials at home because of what has been said already and think its fab that some of you have overcome these problems and turned them into a positive.

Nice to see you have such a high opinion of yourself Pazzy :rolleyes: Can I ask what it is, that you think nobody else does but you do,whilst carrying out a service??I am intrigued!!!!:confused:

I can hand on heart say that there is no one gives what I give in a service...but I admit I hate facials at home because of what has been said already and think its fab that some of you have overcome these problems and turned them into a positive.

Is there any other reason you hate facials at home other than space available? Just need clarification here please as I'm wondering if I missed something please. Thanks.

Nice to see you have such a high opinion of yourself Pazzy :rolleyes: Can I ask what it is, that you think nobody else does but you do,whilst carrying out a service??I am intrigued!!!!:confused:

I'm interested too?

In my experience going to someone's house is extremely difficult to make it as relaxing as a home salon or a high st, what with children, pets, husband, etc. around, this is what i am trying to say!
Unless you have a client which has made a room up nice for you ready for her treatments.

Liz

I have a home salon, and its very relaxing and professional - in fact all my clients comment on how much nicer it is than the salons they have been in! My clients pay the going rate for the area, and they get a fantastic 1-1 service, with no interuptions, no bitchy staff - and great nails.:)

I dont see why I should charge less than a salon on the high street.:confused:

I think that if you are offering a great service to your clients - be it in a salon, home based or mobile then you charge for a great service. I pay my hairdresser the same as a salon as its more convenient for me to have it done at home, I certainly wouldnt expect to pay her less as she does a fab job - as good as any salon round here!:)JMHO

I think treatments at home can be more professional and more special than those in a salon, depending on the therapist. My clients love the luxury of having treatments in their homes and their friends who do not do it think it is very decadent. It depends what your set up is like and how you approach the treatments. They never feel rushed in their own home and the service is much more personal. Clients pay salon prices for many of my services and think that I am very reasonably priced. Some therapists are suited to salon work and others to mobile work.

:lol: you go girl !!
i agree mobile with uniform good quality products and the right aproach and yes charge the same as a salon i will when i go mobile soon :lol:

I have a home salon, and its very relaxing and professional - in fact all my clients comment on how much nicer it is than the salons they have been in! My clients pay the going rate for the area, and they get a fantastic 1-1 service, with no interuptions, no bitchy staff - and great nails.:)

I think that if you are offering a great service to your clients - be it in a salon, home based or mobile then you charge for a great service. I pay my hairdresser the same as a salon as its more convenient for me to have it done at home, I certainly wouldnt expect to pay her less as she does a fab job - as good as any salon round here!:)JMHO

Couldn't put it better myself!

I work from home and charge the same as the local salons. The salons are in the high street and I am hidden away with no shop front but plenty of loyal clients.

I don't want people to come to me because I am a cheap option. I want them to come because they love the way I do their nails.

AAAAAAhgh!:eek:

I did not re read my post through!! Dont know if it sounds seedy or I have my head right up my arse!!!!:smack:

Wont bore you with reasons why but had a worrying day that day but its turned out great now.

What I meant to say is 'in my local area'. Basically my clients get really spoilt (take my time) and they get real value for money (no rush scenario). I listen to them, a shoulder to cry on etc.

Apart from that they get great conversation, a bloody good job and good banter.
Oh and Im a right canny lass LOL Use great products blah blah!!!

So I want referring to anyone - I just know the quality of work being dished out around here from salons and mobile who charge much more than me.

Hope I am forgiven for me stupid reply!

My clients pay the going rate for the area, and they get a fantastic 1-1 service, with no interuptions, no bitchy staff - and great nails.:)

I think that if you are offering a great service to your clients - be it in a salon, home based or mobile then you charge for a great service.

Well put. I have a free listing on Yell which doesn't state that I'm mobile. So far everyone who's rung have been really happy about it. "Oh, that's handy", "what a great idea", etc. If they didn't like my prices they wouldn't book.

clients who want a mobile therapist in my opinion dont want mobile because its cheaper.....i cant see a client who wants a mobile service ringing a salon just to check if a mobile therapist is cheaper or more costly and comparing prices....they want a mobile therapist for specific reason.
A client who wants a cheap service....will go with what ever is cheaper reguarding mobile or static.
There are salon who charge £15 for nail enhancements and there are mobile nail technicians who charge £25.....i dont think a mobile therapist should be cheaper and belittle their skills by doing so......mobile therapists arent mobile to charge cheap as chips prices, they are mobile to offer service specifically to clients who want treatments in their own homes.....so why should they be cheaper than a salon.....they shouldnt...but they shouldnt

AAAAAAhgh!:eek:

I did not re read my post through!! Dont know if it sounds seedy or I have my head right up my arse!!!!:smack:

Wont bore you with reasons why but had a worrying day that day but its turned out great now.

What I meant to say is 'in my local area'. Basically my clients get really spoilt (take my time) and they get real value for money (no rush scenario). I listen to them, a shoulder to cry on etc.

Apart from that they get great conversation, a bloody good job and good banter.
Oh and Im a right canny lass LOL Use great products blah blah!!!

So I want referring to anyone - I just know the quality of work being dished out around here from salons and mobile who charge much more than me.

Hope I am forgiven for me stupid reply!
No probs chuck:hug:

Thanks for all your comments :)

Its great to see different points of view. I think im still kind of on the fence for this one !!

Has anyone gone from being salon based to mobile and kept salon clients ? If so did you charge the same or less ?

I'm not sure that clients who want to go to a salon and those who prefer a home salon/mobile service are the same clientèle. I'm sure this isn't always the case, but I know that my home based salon appeals more to male/mature (82!) clients and women that aren't as "high maintenance".

This isn't because I'm cheaper, or less professional or that I'm offering less of a service. They just feel more comfortable with me as perhaps I'm less"scary" than a salon. They would never go to a salon so I'm not actually competing with them for my clients.

Another point is that in my home based salon I allow half an hour between clients, so that their is no accidental crossover, unlike a salon where clients can be booked back to back. This is the same as with extra travel time for mobile therapist, this time is obviously not paid for so this needs to be taken into account too.

I suppose its swings and roundabouts at the end of the day.Thank goodness we're all different.:)

Latest posts

Back