Should Salons & Mobile charge the same ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
Would be interested to hear your views on this - whatever they are :)

When I first started doing beauty mobile I had similar prices to high street salons as I had all the equipment (couch, nail station etc) and also there was time, petrol & car maintenance to consider.

Im salon based now and I can see how much it costs to run the salon and all those extra expenses that have to be included in treatment costs, not to mention staff wages for those that employ therapists.

Now I have seen both sides of the coin I actually see why some mobile therapists are cheaper as they don't have the same overheads and use the clients electricity, water etc.

This also includes home salons to, so do you think we should all be charging similar prices ?

I will be interested to hear peeps views now after posting a similar thread about 2 years ago.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/18296-mobile-prices-vs-salon.html
(Link above if anybody is interested)

My views still have not changed but then I don't think the views of the general public have either. I think they expect to pay less for a mobile or home based therapist. JMO though.

I think it's all down to how you market yourself.

If you're a mobile tech, then I would say cheaper as they don't have the luxury of a salon and you use their amenities.

However, if you're a Freelance Nail Artist and they are gagging to be on your list of exclusive clients, the you can charge an arm and a leg.

Thanks for that link Tracey, ive had a good read :)

It is really difficult to decide as now im in a salon I have a lot more expenses and less profit off treatments so if I was to ever go mobile again I could dramatically decrease the prices and still make more money (assuming I had a full book of clients)

I have asked clients what they think on this subject and they have all agreed that they would pay more to go to a salon as its more realxing and professional enviroment.

Although I had premium products and expensive equipment a clients lounge is never going to look like a salon, the other thing that drives me round the twist is mobile therapists/techs charging salon prices but they are using cheapest products they can get and have no equipment, just using the clients ironing board or bed, I don't see how that can justify salon prices.

My opinion on this is that if you use professional products,have professional equipment and look professsional then why charge any less than anyone else?It's like your saying your treatments are worth less just because you are not in a shop/salon.

Clients pay for the treatment,be it facial,massage or waxing,just because the treatment is conducted in a home salon or in the clients own home I personally dont think they should pay less.

I do see why a salon owner sees they should charge more than a mobile/home therapist from the financial side of things,but why should Mrs xyz pay more for getting exactly the same as she would if she went to the salon down the road compared to going to a home salon?Other than the salon owner has her overheads,unfortunately that's life.

For me,I know I give just as good a treatment when mobile as I do in a salon,I use excellent quality products,no ironing boards:lol: and no T shirts etc.I would prefer a salon of my own but the times not quite right,but there is no way will I charge less,if clients think they should pay less then they can go elsewhere,bless em all.:green:

I guess I would probably feel a little resentful when I have a salon,but hey,live and let live,I know of some salon owners who feel mobile therapists shouldn't even have the right to work,:eek:Mmmmm Green eyed monsters spring to mind.

P.s lets not forget out fuel costs,extra insurance etc

The way I see it is this .

If you had a Personal Trainer come to your house would you expect to pay them LESS than if you went to the gym? I don't think so !!!!!

Personal Trainers would cost you MORE even though the Gym has all those overheads .

I don't see that our proffession should be any different and I charge the same if not MORE than some of the salons in our area . They are paying ( as someone else said ) for our expertise .:)

Karen x

Thanks for that link Tracey, ive had a good read :)

It is really difficult to decide as now im in a salon I have a lot more expenses and less profit off treatments so if I was to ever go mobile again I could dramatically decrease the prices and still make more money (assuming I had a full book of clients)

I have asked clients what they think on this subject and they have all agreed that they would pay more to go to a salon as its more realxing and professional enviroment.

Although I had premium products and expensive equipment a clients lounge is never going to look like a salon, the other thing that drives me round the twist is mobile therapists/techs charging salon prices but they are using cheapest products they can get and have no equipment, just using the clients ironing board or bed, I don't see how that can justify salon prices.

Hi Juliette
totally agree, if your a mobile and doing clients in there home, it is never going to be anything as special & professional as a high street salon, even if your the best tech in the world! I was once a mobile tech i would never go back to it nor would i do clients at home.

Liz x

I think treatments at home can be more professional and more special than those in a salon, depending on the therapist. My clients love the luxury of having treatments in their homes and their friends who do not do it think it is very decadent. It depends what your set up is like and how you approach the treatments. They never feel rushed in their own home and the service is much more personal. Clients pay salon prices for many of my services and think that I am very reasonably priced. Some therapists are suited to salon work and others to mobile work.

Hi Juliette
totally agree, if your a mobile and doing clients in there home, it is never going to be anything as special & professional as a high street salon, even if your the best tech in the world! I was once a mobile tech i would never go back to it nor would i do clients at home.

Liz x
Excuse me,speak for your self :green:I make my treatments very special,candles,heated wheat pad by their feet,music,everything is perfect and better than a lot of salons believe me.I have had ladies who actually say they would never set foot in a salon due to them being filthy,noisy in the background,therapists gossip mongering in the background,not to mention a host of other mishaps.I know this isn't always the case,but sadly quite often it is.

I spent a great deal of money on equipment and other things to make damned sure that my treatments would be equal if not BETTER than a salon environment/treatment.Even in the worse possible houses I have them looking like a salon/treatment room because I want the clients getting a real salon/home experience.

I have worked years in a salon and still work there,so my clients are getting exactly the same,apart from having the luxury of not having to get in their cars,travel to the salon,pay for a car park,spend say...2 hours in the salon,then have to go out in the cold,and drive their car home.They have their treatment in the comfort of their own home and when its finished they dont have to go anywhere.

There are some absolutely terrible therapists that work mobile(and in salons unfortunately)who work using sub standard equipment,use the clients own towels and a mish mash of cheap Sally's or other highstreet own facial,foot products.In this example then yes,charge less because its a lesser than professional treatment but otherwise no way.:green:

Final thing I feel I must say,I personally dont enjoy mobile at all,I hate all the loading and unloading the car,the setting up,not knowing what the clients house is like but as I say I make the best of whatever the situation,but I never underate my treatments by charging less.Enough said from me.:lol:JMHO xx

I would never charge more nor less, than a reasonable price!!

LOL! - The art of fighting, without fighting!!

Edit: I am mobile btw

All the salons around here are busy undercutting each other tbh
I don't do special offers. I don't compete with anyone.
My prices are what they are and people choose me because I am what they want.
If they didn't want me I assume they would go elsewhere and pay £15!!
Yes that is basically what they are undercutting each other to in local salons. :eek:
I am mobile and I make all my clients feel special by using top quality products in the comfort of their own home.
And I am at their beck and call to a certain extent!!
We do have overheads like petrol, wear and tear on vehicles and also have to allow for travelling time in between clients that we don't get paid for.

I did speak for myself it was my opinion.
Don't take offence you have your opinion too, we all have an opinion !!!!!
Lizzy

quote=BABSann;615295]Excuse me,speak for your self :green:I make my treatments very special,candles,heated wheat pad by their feet,music,everything is perfect and better than a lot of salons believe me.I have had ladies who actually say they would never set foot in a salon due to them being filthy,noisy in the background,therapists gossip mongering in the background,not to mention a host of other mishaps.I know this isn't always the case,but sadly quite often it is.

I spent a great deal of money on equipment and other things to make damned sure that my treatments would be equal if not BETTER than a salon environment/treatment.Even in the worse possible houses I have them looking like a salon/treatment room because I want the clients getting a real salon/home experience.

I have worked years in a salon and still work there,so my clients are getting exactly the same,apart from having the luxury of not having to get in their cars,travel to the salon,pay for a car park,spend say...2 hours in the salon,then have to go out in the cold,and drive their car home.They have their treatment in the comfort of their own home and when its finished they dont have to go anywhere.

There are some absolutely terrible therapists that work mobile(and in salons unfortunately)who work using sub standard equipment,use the clients own towels and a mish mash of cheap Sally's or other highstreet own facial,foot products.In this example then yes,charge less because its a lesser than professional treatment but otherwise no way.:green:

Final thing I feel I must say,I personally dont enjoy mobile at all,I hate all the loading and unloading the car,the setting up,not knowing what the clients house is like but as I say I make the best of whatever the situation,but I never underate my treatments by charging less.Enough said from me.:lol:JMHO xx[/quote]

As you could clearly see Chic Geek, I put a smiley next to what I wrote, which meant I was saying it in a lighthearted way.I did NOT take offence and I have been on here long enough to know that we all have our opinions.However our opinions to such topics are our own opinions not facts.For example you do not know how every mobile therapist works in comparison to every salon therapist as none of us do, therefore how can you make such a broad comment??

You wrote to Juliette quote"It will never be as special and professional as a high street salon,even if your the best tech in the world".Well In my opinion that is wrong and you should try putting "in your opinion",because this statement you have made is NOT fact it's merely YOUR opinion.:green:

In my experience going to someone's house is extremely difficult to make it as relaxing as a home salon or a high st, what with children, pets, husband, etc. around, this is what i am trying to say!
Unless you have a client which has made a room up nice for you ready for her treatments.

Liz

Just as we have a right to our opinions,
clients have the right to choice.

My prices match those of which I consider to be the most reasonably priced salons in my area.

Therefore, clients have the choice - they can pay £x to go to the salon, or pay me the same, to save them the bother of leaving the house.

In my experience going to someone's house is extremely difficult to make it as relaxing as a home salon or a high st, what with children, pets, husband, etc. around, this is what i am trying to say!
Unless you have a client which has made a room up nice for you ready for her treatments.

Liz
I see what your saying chuck and I agree,but once we re- educate our clients that we need a seperate room especially if its for a facial or massage,then they know for future visits what is required.
I let clients know that if they want relaxing/professional then it's no good having their treatment in the middle of the lounge whilst hubby sits there watching the big match.This happened once and never again.:)

As a mobile therapist, here's what I think.

When I first started being mobile my prices were way cheap. Hence low confidence in myself and what I did.

As time has gone on, my experience has grown and I would like to think people pay for skills especially experience.

6.5 years on I don't compare myself to a salon, I don't look at salon prices but look at what others (i.e.mobile therapists) charge.

After all, salons charge different prices. They have different overheads to us.

I do look at my competition and see how much they charge. I charge what I think is reasonable for my time, skills and also driving time to and from the client and petrol.

It's hard to say what you should charge at a salon as I am mobile but we too have overheads and also work very unsociable hours, sometimes I charge for that too.

I would say if you have a salon charge more than mobile. You have rent, electricity other costs I am unsure of.

Some mobile therapists charge too cheaply, as I did in the beginning. It's OK being cheap but that puts clients' off sometimes.

funny one this as i used to get (when mobile) do you charge more for coming to me...?...when i said no they seemed surprised.

Most companies charge delivery...right...?

You could say we are delivering..right to there door, a service that may cost them to go to a salon...(fuel..parking..etc)

so although you wouldnt announce that you where charging for this i do think it should be incorporated into the price...just like some salons incorporate all the fancy mod cons they have.....what you thought the tv's attached to the work stations didn't cost you anything....? :lol:

I remember my old hairdressers being reasonably prices....then they closed for refurnishment...and when they opened again it was WOW....tv's everywhere....fancy drinks....delux wash stations with vibrating seats.....and...PRICES HAD ALMOST DOUBLED....same stylist...same products....so who was really paying for what...?....personally i would rather save on my bill and watch tv at home.

rambled on i know...:lol:

Liz

I spray people in my garage and make a heck of a lot of money from it.
(and it is a GARAGE....I have a stereo in there...does that count?:lol:)
I'm not cheaper or more expensive than salons for this service I suppose but what I'm saying is that if people want you they will search you out wherever you are based.
And when mobile I think its always a good idea to let your clients know how you feel about kids, pets and husbands. If they are happy to have them around and they are not any trouble then I'm happy.
The latter is always good for putting the kettle on though eh?:)

Having been on both sides of this, previously a mobile and then with a high street salon for the past five years. I am about to go into a home salon... No, I won't have the overheads in the same way, but neither will I have the walk in custom.

I have not raised my prices in five years to be able to compete locally, and believe that if my clients want a great service in a salon environment they can still have that in the new home salon which will be equipped exactly the same as the salon with nail desk and electric couch, a seperate entrance, etc.... also I will still have to pay insurance, public and treatment liability...

I will have to compete more strongly in many ways to maintain my custom, so rather than lower my prices which have not in any way reflected the price increases from my suppliers, I will simply provide a better one to one service, where my clients wont get disturbed by people walking in, in need of attention during their booking time.

I believe prices should be set by competence of the technician. There... said it !!!

Sue x

Latest posts

Back