Should the industry be regulated?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the industry be regulated?

• Yes

Votes: 92 91.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm undecided simply because, as others have already stated, it would just be another way for the government to get money out of us. Personally, once qualified i think registration should be free as part of the final qualification. I also believe that the standards required to pass should be alot more stringent as I have been on courses where literally everybody received a pass despite not having demonstrated any competence.

Hi, I know experience counts for everything but I do think the actual college courses e.g. Level 2 & 3 should be verified more. Some of the learners who go on beauty & hairdressing courses who have just left school mess around a lot in college. Particularly when EMA was in place, many learners were at college to simply get this grant and not because they wanted to learn (this from my own experiece as a teacher) However as most vocational courses are portfolio based, one way or another the student would pass, even if the work was all done lastminute.com. This would ensure the college got good pass rates and retained funding.
I know majority of the school leavers out there who want to learn. I appreciate that a lot of the skills are practical and therefore portfolio based but perhaps some form of written assessment i.e. exam, would ensure good graduates?
I don't teach hair or beauty but these are just my thoughts although I could be barking up the wrong tree :)

Hi, I know experience counts for everything but I do think the actual college courses e.g. Level 2 & 3 should be verified more. Some of the learners who go on beauty & hairdressing courses who have just left school mess around a lot in college. Particularly when EMA was in place, many learners were at college to simply get this grant and not because they wanted to learn (this from my own experiece as a teacher) However as most vocational courses are portfolio based, one way or another the student would pass, even if the work was all done lastminute.com. This would ensure the college got good pass rates and retained funding.
I know majority of the school leavers out there who want to learn. I appreciate that a lot of the skills are practical and therefore portfolio based but perhaps some form of written assessment i.e. exam, would ensure good graduates?
I don't teach hair or beauty but these are just my thoughts although I could be barking up the wrong tree :)

Alongside the portfolio practical assessments we do written exams so I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying? Do you mean there should be like a pass, merit, distinction type assessment to weed out those who don't bother as much? x

Come to my province and see how freaking unregulated it is.

:)

Alongside the portfolio practical assessments we do written exams so I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying? Do you mean there should be like a pass, merit, distinction type assessment to weed out those who don't bother as much? x

Please excuse me if I've come across wrong, I'm not familiar with beauty course curriculum & assessment methods. I was not sure if some form of written examination was undertaken as part of the qualification but yes some form of grading system, as I thought this would be beneficial to employers? X

Please excuse me if I've come across wrong, I'm not familiar with beauty course curriculum & assessment methods. I was not sure if some form of written examination was undertaken as part of the qualification but yes some form of grading system, as I thought this would be beneficial to employers? X

It's a valid point. I think employers just use trades tests though. to be honest people who aren't good enough should just not be allowed to pass but because schools get funding they pass everyone which isn't right x

I think we should be regulated. I think we should have to show several things such as

insurance
qualifications
hygiene standards
hmrc utr tax codes

and then be granted a licence.

What there should be is clamp down on unqualified therapists, someone we can turn to to inform the authorities that someone is working in this way. now that I would happily subscribe to.

I dont however agree on the one day courses, I have been on some fantastic one day courses and some really cruddy college courses..... My one day courses at my academy are the BEST... I have students testimonials to back this up. They are not suitable for everyone, granted. But please dont diss my side of the industry, me and many many other small academies are trying our best to uphold this industry and turn out amazing therapists .

tigi

Agreed x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

I did the City and Guilds level 2 Beauty Therapy course in college which was based on pass merit or distinction (all distinctions apart from one unit:o).
What actually shocked me was the amount of girls in my class who were happy with just a pass and didnt do much more to get a higher grade:(
I worked really hard with my course work and practical work!!! I was in hospital for a week and a half and could only attend A&P classes for 2 weeks when i got out of hospital. this was 2months before the end of the course, when i got back in I absolutly battered through my practical work to finish on time with the grades i got!!!! On saying that I really love what i do!!!!

what annoyed me is the girls who didnt show as much interest and only aimed for a pass still passed the course and are still qualified!!!

sorry i do ramble on!!!:o

xxx

Hmmm, I would say no for the reasons listed by others here, regulation is a nice way to really sting small businesses for the government coffers IME those regulators are rarely run by anyone in the industry and are more often than not faceless data entry administrators. (i've worked in this area) It'll do us no favours if we go down this route. However what we could do with a a revamp of the NVQ system which I have found to be outdated and frankly slap dash at best and lacking in really decent and enthusiastic trainers/teachers. When I began re-training I wanted to get the best I could and during research, the NVQ just really fell short of my expectations. (this is not to take away from therapists that went through college and are excellent it is just my personal experience I'm relaying) I wouldn't be so hasty as to dismiss 1 day courses, in my experience, so far, the teachers have been passionate, bang up to date with products and market trends and always at the end of the phone, and any reputable training academy will let you return to a course and take it again if you're struggling for free, it matters to them to do the best they can for their students often because it's their business and as we know reputation is everything.

Hmmm, I would say no for the reasons listed by others here, regulation is a nice way to really sting small businesses for the government coffers IME those regulators are rarely run by anyone in the industry and are more often than not faceless data entry administrators. (i've worked in this area) It'll do us no favours if we go down this route. However what we could do with a a revamp of the NVQ system which I have found to be outdated and frankly slap dash at best and lacking in really decent and enthusiastic trainers/teachers. When I began re-training I wanted to get the best I could and during research, the NVQ just really fell short of my expectations. (this is not to take away from therapists that went through college and are excellent it is just my personal experience I'm relaying) I wouldn't be so hasty as to dismiss 1 day courses, in my experience, so far, the teachers have been passionate, bang up to date with products and market trends and always at the end of the phone, and any reputable training academy will let you return to a course and take it again if you're struggling for free, it matters to them to do the best they can for their students often because it's their business and as we know reputation is everything.

love you for your positive comments and the way you wrote this reply! very nicely put!! ( sorry the positive rep just says love you,,, i meant to write love you for your positive comments and then my 3 year old pressed the button (how embarrassing), Im really not a strange geek who tells everyone she loves them! honest!!!)

This subject stirs me, (...a normally quiet geek that only pipes up once in a blue moon!!). So for what it's worth...I joined industry 3 yrs ago from pharma background-highly regulated & was shocked at lack of clarity, info & transparency around any beauty industry governance- that where exists is at best, "voluntary guidelines". I agree entirely that regulation needs to be meaningful & not for sake of/or expense of small businesses. BUT there are a few fundamental things that could change to benefit standards & quality in our industry in Uk. I have a real issue with the insurance landscape & fact insurers are businesses existing to make a profit but are the gateway in allowing us to trade. I HAVE to be insured (obviously), but in the main, I can only learn/train in something with a training provider that has PAID to be accredited to MY insurer otherwise any certificate i get, regardless of learning quality, whether 1x day or more, is null & void. I'm not at all questioning the need for insurance - or indeed the value of day courses...i've done many - hero & zero ones!! What I hate is the obvious conflict between training, learning & insurance - they shouldn't be linked. Result = potential for cowboy courses, accredited to random &/or selective insurance providers that are motivated by profits not standards..the two are at odds!
If the two are to co-exist there should be greater consistency of standards across all training providers & the insurers they are accredited to...IMO this is what needs regulating...& it's tip of iceberg I'm sure!

**she steps of box (again!) **

Velvet, its late so please forgive me if I have misunderstood, but I am insured with a well known high st bank. they dont have any links with all the different places I have trained.

Are you saying that you can only get insurance through the people who have accredited your training?

this does seem unfair, and I know many people who are insurance through ABT for example but havent done a course by anyone accredited with them?

I ll come back and read this again in the morning as I am sure I have the wrong end of the stick about this.

tigi

This subject stirs me, (...a normally quiet geek that only pipes up once in a blue moon!!). So for what it's worth...I joined industry 3 yrs ago from pharma background-highly regulated & was shocked at lack of clarity, info & transparency around any beauty industry governance- that where exists is at best, "voluntary guidelines". I agree entirely that regulation needs to be meaningful & not for sake of/or expense of small businesses. BUT there are a few fundamental things that could change to benefit standards & quality in our industry in Uk. I have a real issue with the insurance landscape & fact insurers are businesses existing to make a profit but are the gateway in allowing us to trade. I HAVE to be insured (obviously), but in the main, I can only learn/train in something with a training provider that has PAID to be accredited to MY insurer otherwise any certificate i get, regardless of learning quality, whether 1x day or more, is null & void. I'm not at all questioning the need for insurance - or indeed the value of day courses...i've done many - hero & zero ones!! What I hate is the obvious conflict between training, learning & insurance - they shouldn't be linked. Result = potential for cowboy courses, accredited to random &/or selective insurance providers that are motivated by profits not standards..the two are at odds!
If the two are to co-exist there should be greater consistency of standards across all training providers & the insurers they are accredited to...IMO this is what needs regulating...& it's tip of iceberg I'm sure!

**she steps of box (again!) **

What an excellent box to stand on! Very well put. It has long been a gripe of mine. It is so difficult to stop the 'stranglehold' though.

We have all seen ads for some shockingly poor training courses and they use the fact that insurance can be gained after this course! I've commented many times on these policies, their small print and whether they have been 'tested'.

I also find it amazing that someone can be insured to work on paying clients when they have never touched a real person for nail services! A course can get accredited by paying a third party broker with very little 'process'. The broker can provide insurance from an underwriter just because they will bring lots of premiums. It's a financial exercise with several levels of potential income and nothing to do with the insured being competent.

The industry in general refuse to agree to any standardised proof of competency and it's not too difficult to understand why!

love you for your positive comments and the way you wrote this reply! very nicely put!! ( sorry the positive rep just says love you,,, i meant to write love you for your positive comments and then my 3 year old pressed the button (how embarrassing), Im really not a strange geek who tells everyone she loves them! honest!!!)

HA! No probs thanks it's always nice to know you're loved :lol:

I have Just qualified in Beauty NVQ LVL 3. Not blowing my own trumpet but I and others think im a good therapist :green:

However I am not surprised there is so many rubbish therapists out there.

Students do assesments with curtains closed so they could be doing anything.

Students can bring there own models in for assesments, like friends/family.

90% of the time, students are not asked any questions.

Many times the model is not asked if they are happy with the treatment and the treatment itself is not checked.

Unproffesional, shoddy work is often passed as the student has left assesments to the last minute and the tutor wants them to qualify.

There are many people who was at the same college as me and passed there nvq (infact i think its impossible to fail an nvq which is daft anyway) and I dread to think what they will be like in the real world.:eek:

Emily xx

I say yes to regulation. I think it's annoying when you put the time, effort and money into your business and using all the best products and someone comes along with no quals and offers services so much cheaper OR at the same price but using cheaper products. I know that offering quality means your customers will come back but we have all been guilty of going for the cheaper, not-as-good option especially in times where money is tight.

I also think a lot of the girls come out of college with qualifications still not knowing what they are doing and not up to standard. I really don't have a lot of positive things to say about college education I think they teach dated treatments and techniques (my own experience) and have learnt more from professionals (creative) and things I have read on here!

Maybe we could have a card or something to display like Taxi drivers, and after you have applied you would be inspected that you are up to standard, and maybe random checks like health and hygiene do x

Latest posts

Back