Should this be expected of me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aphroditeg

Reaction score
Are you expected to key hold and run the shop one your own for minimum wage? Im also working completely irregular hours/days so no real wage security. Shouldnt this be a 'casual contract'?
I am employed, not self employed.
Thank you.

Sadly it is not uncommon to have this level of responsibility and be on minimum wage. Look at it this way, at least having that responsibility so early in a career will look fantastic on your CV when you get to the stage that you want to apply for jobs higher up :D

Thats what I'm trying to do, I just feel like things are going to continuously get dropped on me without the wage going up. At least I have a job though :D some people aren't that lucky
x

if down the line extra bits are added onto your job description, there is no reason you can not request that your pay is looked at and amended to reflect the changes :)

Good idea, thanks :) will take me a while to get that brave haha

Unfortunately, it is very common for even salon managers to be on minimum wage. I find it very unfair given the amount of responsibility you have.
In the salon I worked, all therapists including the manager were on minimum wage.
But as said above, at least it gives you experience in this area and will look great on your CV when applying for better paid jobs.

Well i never expected to get rich doing beauty so i shant daydream :D perhaps its time to start doing the friends nails again.

What about doing treatments that havent specifically be trained in, such as brazilians, hopi ear etc...? We never covered this at college yet im expected to do it...theres other treatments too but i wont rant. Just wondered if other peoples bosses make them do things theyre neither confident or comfortable performing. I dont think this is fair and i dont think i should be expected to pay for the courses as it isnt making me any money?
I am a moany girl this week.
X

Bless you Hun! In answer to your question I am an owner, manager and a holistic therapist at my Wellbeing centre. I NEVER get my staff to perform treatments for which they are not qualified or confident. This is very stupid for a number of reasons including insurance! If I were you I really would question your job there? However I do understand that times are tough, and jobs are hard to come by.

Good luck xxx :D

You shouldn't be expected to perform treatments you are not qualified in, especially something like brazilians, as a lot can go wrong with that.
If I was you , I would really stand up for myself and stop performing any treatments you are not qualified in. It's not fair on clients and what if something goes wrong? Who will be to blame then?
I was once put in a situation like this, while I was studying for my level 2, I went for a job interview, got the job,the next day I come in and the owner tells me I am booked in to do a full body massage (which I wasn't qualified in yet as that's a level 3 treatment) .So I said I can't do it as I am not qualified in it and he said I either do it or I can leave right now.
No need to say I left and never went back. I didn't want to work for someone like that.

it isnt fair at all, i think its because they know how much i need the job :(

Do you actually have to have a specific qualification to do brazilians? i thought i did, they said i didnt. I refuse to use the hot wax as i know im not insured to use this. I just feel stuck, getting back on the job hunt may be in order.

Yes I believe you do, but I have to confess my back ground is Holistic's. It's a shame you don't live nearer to me, as we are looking for more beauty staff!

Good luck x :D

if only, i think 3 hours might be a little too long

Thank you

Yes, you do need to have a qualification in intimate waxing in order to carry out that treatment.

Thats what i thought, best just stick to extended bikinis then :) i dont want any red marks in my name
X

Latest posts

Back