Sick! Confidence knocked

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanned85

Reaction score
I have only been mobile for a few months now, and most of my clients have been family or friends. I was over the moon last week coz some1 found my number and asked me to do a set of gel extensions. Everything went well and they looked great, until i get a message from her saying after 48hours 2 fell off and now they are all off and her nails are a mess, this has really knocked me. Dont want to do it anymore :sad:

Why would the tips fall off??

I'm sorry to hear that, what gel are you using?
I can't offer you any help as I'm just training myself but this is my biggest fear too! I had my first client in college last week and did a full set of gels...trouble is I'll never know how she got on with them. I'm hoping she turns up at the college salon next week for infills lol
Hope someone can give you some advice but whatever you do don't give up! :hug:

I'm sorry to hear that, what gel are you using?
I can't offer you any help as I'm just training myself but this is my biggest fear too! I had my first client in college last week and did a full set of gels...trouble is I'll never know how she got on with them. I'm hoping she turns up at the college salon next week for infills lol
Hope someone can give you some advice but whatever you do don't give up! :hug:

Using The Edge, but not sure if its the gel, tips, glue or prep ;-(

They wouldn't!!
They do however come off in peoples mouths.....
I would go look at her nails and you will probably find evidence of her pulling them off. Had she had them on before. What were her nails like. ie. bitten? Did she want the extensions too long?
If you are confident in your abilities then don't let this put you off. Be honest with yourself and as I said if you are confident then stick to your guns. Go see her nails and go from there. There are a million different ways you can play this.
I can't say what you should do but if it was me I would go see the nails. I know my work is good. I would expect to see clear signs of distress to the nails from her pulling/biting. I would explain what I can see and suggest that perhaps her lifestlye isn't suitable for extensions. I would offer shellac and as a goodwill gesture do them for free this once. I'm already there so might as well do something. If she doesn't want that then that's fine but I would not give a refund.
If you give more details about what exactly happened it might help the geeks to give you more precise advice. xx

My guess is they were picked off. Originally I just practised on my daughter and after about 3 days I'd look at her nails and they were gone:eek:
She used to pick them off!!!!! I won't do them for her anymore....done a couple of sets on myself and they have been perfect xx

They wouldn't!!
They do however come off in peoples mouths.....
I would go look at her nails and you will probably find evidence of her pulling them off. Had she had them on before. What were her nails like. ie. bitten? Did she want the extensions too long?
If you are confident in your abilities then don't let this put you off. Be honest with yourself and as I said if you are confident then stick to your guns. Go see her nails and go from there. There are a million different ways you can play this.
I can't say what you should do but if it was me I would go see the nails. I know my work is good. I would expect to see clear signs of distress to the nails from her pulling/biting. I would explain what I can see and suggest that perhaps her lifestlye isn't suitable for extensions. I would offer shellac and as a goodwill gesture do them for free this once. I'm already there so might as well do something. If she doesn't want that then that's fine but I would not give a refund.
If you give more details about what exactly happened it might help the geeks to give you more precise advice. xx

I asked her if i could go round, have a look and offered a manicure or something for free, but she said no and that she was getting them sorted 2moro, she wanted them quite short, and had to do quite a bit filing before i applied the gel as she kept saying "a little bit shorter" so i was thinking could this have loosened them?

oh you poor thing how awful. I do know exactly how you feel, as I have just qualified and as yet have not got a paying client lol xx

Could it possibly be that you missed something off in the prep, just because nerves kicked in, it is just an idea xx

Don't give up all your hard work and effort for just one person, just try and put it behind you and move on.

Sending you a big hug :hug:

i wouldnt worry or let this knock your confidence. truth is she's probably gone to a NSS place to get these "fixed" when all they are doing is using industrial ingredients so she can NOT pick them off and she thinks they are better when in fact, they cause more damage to the nail. these types of clients send me into a rage! if you have done many other clients and they have been fine, why with her are they not fine? its obviously not something you're doing! why bother telling you what happened anyway if she didn't want you to go and fix the problem? some people just like a moan. same with my mum, i do shellac on her, 3 days later she's like "oh it fell off" - no such thing! why are my nails fine and hers not? she's a serial picker and can't leave the darn things alone!!!

Ah Leanne I no how u feel, it is nerve racking at times I've just had a bad nail day and it really is pants, hopefull an experienced geek can advise you, and when you get to the bottom of it another lesson learned.. I learnt quite a few yesterday..xxx😃

It sounds to me like she is telling porkies! worst kind of clients!! don't let it knock your confidence as by the sounds of things she has had a little pick and a bite..and then tried to blame someone else. If she hadn't why turn down a free manicure?! You just have to brush off clients like this and know that you are doing a good job :)
x

after 48hours 2 fell off and now they are all off and her nails are a mess
Translation from client into tech = 2 days late I 'BROKE 2' and then I ripped all of the rest off to match - Now my nails look like a mess because I didn't actually tear off the gel, it was actually my nail plate shredding layers as it's weaker than the enhancements bond to the nail....

My guess is they were picked off. Originally I just practised on my daughter and after about 3 days I'd look at her nails and they were gone:eek:
She used to pick them off!!!!! I won't do them for her anymore....done a couple of sets on myself and they have been perfect xx
So if you have doubt on your skill, how come your own nails are perfect - perhaps it's because you have cared for them with the respect they deserve? My only suggestion to help you is 'advise your client on aftercare' if they choose to not follow it, then it's their own fault if anything untoward happens to their nails... (as your daughter is happy to demonstrate...)

I asked her if i could go round, have a look and offered a manicure or something for free, but she said no and that she was getting them sorted 2moro
Translation from client into tech = I don't want you to see them because I am ashamed at the very obvious damage I have caused... so I will go somewhere else and pay them to fix it and make up a story about my 'old nails' without them being able to see or prove what has happened, which will make me feel less like a nail abuser...

hth's - keep your chin up, not every client deserves good nails...
(I've fired a few clients over the years for not appreciating good work...)

Something like this has happened to every nail tech at some stage, please dont let it put you off. When I started out I did a full set of gels on someone and forgot the primer - they were all off within a few days. I was so mortified I wanted to die, but guess what, I never forgot the primer again lol. Starting out I wrote out a step by step & kept in in my drawer and used to pretend to get something out of the drawer just to check it, lol. Most of us have said 'I going to quit' on a bad day, but the truth is if you really love nails, you won't. Chin up, deep breath, tomorrows a new day. xx

Thanks everyone, just going to try and forget it :|xx

Envy, I *LOVE* what u just said and how u put that all into perspective.. I think I might even write ur points down in my notebook should anything like that ever happen in the future! :) x

Latest posts

Back