Sick days?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those's of us with a clear conscious need not concern ourselves......
As I've said already.....The serial 'sickie' know's who they are.....:(

I think those of us that never have a day off sick probably should.
I just can't let my clients down and work when I really shouldn't.
Two occasions spring to mind.
3 weeks after a breast augmentation I noticed my tunic was soaked early morning (fluid was literally pouring out if you squished it)
Popped to the private hospital at lunch time and told my incision and split and would have emergency surgery at 2pm the next day.
Went back to work until 9pm.
Then went into work in the morning till 11am -
Very pale and dizzy by now.
The second time I started at 9 and felt fine till 11 when I started throwing up, I threw up between every client until 7pm.
I felt so ill I was crying in the bathroom. This situation is terrible and I am ashamed as I could have been infectious.
There are many more times I have worked when I shouldn't.

My new salon opens Tuesday with 2 self employed therapists and I will be encouraging them not to be like me.

I said I regularly sack people for being sick..... I have yet to come across a staff member who is actually ill. For real

I have described the circumstances thoughout my posts

You are not the sick police, I know what's right and wrong thank you

You've never had a staff member ever be genuinely ill!? That is highly unlikely. What's probably happened is you have fired people for being genuinely ill.

I don't think that's strictly true. I get paid sick leave in my office job and 10 days special leave for any bereavement/special appointments.

That's your job. However it doesn't represent many office jobs. I've worked for 4 offices, none of which gave sick pay and I don't actually know anyone who does get sick pay except those who are civil servants.

Here we legally have 4 paid sick days a year.

That's your job. However it doesn't represent many office jobs. I've worked for 4 offices, none of which gave sick pay and I don't actually know anyone who does get sick pay except those who are civil servants.

Everyone in a contract of employment of a certain amount of hours is allowed sick & holiday, the amount varies depending on your hours

You've never had a staff member ever be genuinely ill!? That is highly unlikely. What's probably happened is you have fired people for being genuinely ill.

Oh hello.. Sick police are back...

You seem to think you know a lot about me and my business don't you!

I think that's highly unlikely, what's probably happend is you've read my posts and they have irritated you & you now feel the need to persue this

Yes thankfully that is my job! I am aware of lots of people who aren't civil servants and they still get paid sick leave. Plenty in the private sector do. Perhaps it depends on the size of the organisation and the amount of staff.

In response to other comments I think you as an individual have to decide how sick you are. Sometimes you can wake up and feel pretty ropey but push on through and you're fine.
If someone has a cold I think they should stay away. I don't want to receive a treatment from someone who is thick with cold coughing and spluttering!
I used to work with someone who would bring a hot water bottle when she was on her period and sit with it against her whilst she looked all mopey! Get a grip!

I think the main point here is if you're sick then actually be sick. Don't post stuff on social media and expect to keep your job. Don't have sickies every month, and if you do have a continuing problem ie migraines for example, discuss that with your employer.

Last edited:
I never take a day of sick unless I really can't help it. I started working in salons at 14 and I love it I've had it drilled into me from very young that you should always work as hard as you can so that when you get paid you truly feel like you've earned it and I hate lazy people! My boss treated people very badly if they had had time off some of then they were obviously faking so fair enough but some of them genuinely had been ill. I went into work for a week with glandular fever because I hadn't had it diagnosed after speaking to the doctor I had to stay of work for a week till my symptoms settled down as I worked with a girl who was pregnant and I could be very dangerous for her. I went into work with tonsillitis and I had lost my voice so I could whisper but that was it and I got shouted at for not being able to answer the phone. The only other time I was off was after an operation on my knee which went wrong and I couldn't walk so I ended up off for a bit longerthan I thought I would be but I had sick lines and kept my boss updated I thought she would understand since she had a really bad knee too and needed a knee replacement but I got a hard time for it and she wasn't paying me. What annoyed me the most was the other two trainees who worked there at the time where terrible for skiving and they got away with it at one point I got told they were only there incase I was too busy to do something so there was someone else because they were terrible! I worked there for 2 1/2 years and we had between 40-50 trainees in that time some were fired because of time off some left due to the was they were being treated and others had been fired for the most ridiculous reasons!

I fully believe an employer should fire someone if they are too ill to go to work but manage to got out at night or go shopping be with friends and then get caught! I have been stuck in a salon with one other hairdresser and one trainee me and the hairdresser had to split 4 full columns between it because people had called in sick it was really stressful. So many people now a days phone in sick because they've coughed once! Suck it up and weigh it up unless you are truly on your deathbed or a contagious go to work!xxx

This thread has certainly touched a nerve........

In life, whenever I've come across a 'situation', before I act, I ALWAY'S try to reverse the roles.......
.... What would I do if it was me/how would I feel if I was in their shoes...etc...
This gives me a different perspective, I get to see the 'other's' point of view.

I'm trying to avoid the accusation of being self righteous or preachy, but....

Do unto others, as you would have them do to you.......:hug:

I honestly think if that were the case she would be sued for unfair dismissal.

What we're talking about here is running a salon and employing staff, juggling accounts, bills, columns, bookings whilst taking minimum wage (if that) for yourself, and having people consistently take the pi55 out of you because they can't be arsed coming to work because they were out on the lash last night. Then putting it on Facebook with the assumption that your boss is so thick she won't find out!

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

I remember my first proper job at 16 and I got ill with what I assumed was food poisoning. My employer rang after 3 days to check how I was and I felt so worried about losing my job, I went back to work the next day.

Within 15 mins of arriving at work, I was throwing up and must have looked pretty awful. My boss drove me straight home and told my mum to get me to the doctors. I went and discovered I'd got a nasty kidney infection and was seriously ill. Oops! It took me another 2 weeks to get better. My male boss was so lovely about it all and much more concerned than my own mum, lol. :eek:

When you start to manage staff, you quickly develop a sixth sense about anyone taking you for a ride. With the advent of social media, it makes it much easier to spot the fakers. Thing is, they don't always appreciate how much it impacts on their colleagues when they take a sickie and so it's not just their boss, they should be wary of annoying.

In the UK, the majority of paid employees are entitled to Statutory Sick Pay when they fall ill.

I honestly think if that were the case she would be sued for unfair dismissal.

What we're talking about here is running a salon and employing staff, juggling accounts, bills, columns, bookings whilst taking minimum wage (if that) for yourself, and having people consistently take the pi55 out of you because they can't be arsed coming to work because they were out on the lash last night. Then putting it on Facebook with the assumption that your boss is so thick she won't find out!

Vic x

It's extremely difficult to take someone to court for unfair dismissal. A lot of people find it easier just to try and find another job. The issue is bosses can keep acting illegally sadly.

Statutory sick pay doesn't come in until you've been off for over a week. It's also and very low amount compared to a full wage. A lot of people don't get paid when they are off sick. Why argue that? It's just true.

It's not fair to berate a woman for using a hot water bottle during her period. She came into work! Some people have extremely heavy and painful periods. We aren't all the same, some health conditions mean it's difficult for some women. What's wrong with her having a hot water bottle!

I think this post is probably due to be closed about now. Sadly comments that involve name calling are just provocative and not constructive at all.

Keep your own powder dry, all of you x

Reactions: KHS
You have just commented to me in a rather threatening manner,telling me I have made a HUGE mistake? Why what do you intend to do about it????

Also you have more or less said anyone who has the misfortune of illness is a liar???

I am not arguing with you as you seem more nasty and threatening than I realised

The poster above is an employee, who has a serious REAL illness, to which I am fully respectful, it's the ones who lie about illness I have a problem with, as for nasty and threatening, you basically slandered me and my business here and you don't even know me!

Maybe PM if you are having a conversation?

It's extremely difficult to take someone to court for unfair dismissal. A lot of people find it easier just to try and find another job. The issue is bosses can keep acting illegally sadly.

But no one has acted illegally!

Vic x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back