Side parting with layers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solohair

Reaction score
Does anyone have trouble with layers and side partings? I generally do a square layer cut on most people with long hair but i have one customer who keeps moaning that once her hair is side parted then there is more layers on one side than the other and that they seem shorter on the heavier side.

I know this is very obvious that there will be more layers on one side once its parted as your bringing hair over from the other side but does anyone have a different technique to resolve this?..

I have studied loads of videos and instructions to see if i can find anything and they all tell you to bring the hair straight up and cut straight across. Trouble is, if you start making the layers shorter in the other side to match when its parted then you are relying on the client to part it in exactly the same place every time.

Hope this makes sense! Any suggestions anyone?....

Does anyone have trouble with layers and side partings? I generally do a square layer cut on most people with long hair but i have one customer who keeps moaning that once her hair is side parted then there is more layers on one side than the other and that they seem shorter on the heavier side.

I know this is very obvious that there will be more layers on one side once its parted as your bringing hair over from the other side but does anyone have a different technique to resolve this?..

I have studied loads of videos and instructions to see if i can find anything and they all tell you to bring the hair straight up and cut straight across. Trouble is, if you start making the layers shorter in the other side to match when its parted then you are relying on the client to part it in exactly the same place every time.

Hope this makes sense! Any suggestions anyone?....
Instead of blunt cutting why don't you point cut it and chop into it and texturise it (if the hair not fine) and if it moving into side parting naturally you could also advise her to try out a side parting xxx

I normally explain to my clients that because they have a side parting one side will look longer then the other but they are cut evenly, if they want me to cut them shorter on the other side I will but they won't be even when you pull them up x

Yes, have tried texturising to soften the layers ad also point cutting. Think she must be just a fussy client as she has said everyone who has cut it does it this way lol! She keeps asking why cant i layer it with the parting in place but she doesnt seem to understand this doesnt make any difference. I always cut the front shape with the parting in place but its just the layers she moans about.

Well just say to her you can layer the other side so they sit the same as the heavier side, but you'll have no hair left and it will be wispy on that side! X

Yes think I will lol! Thank you! Its just nice to know I am not missing something here and I am doing it right! I will tell her thats why everyone she has been to cuts it this way!

Round your layers out... Square layers will leave you with that one sided heavy "shelf" appearance... If you round out your layers a more universal layered affect is created allowing the hair to be parted anywhere on the head.

After cutting slice into it to within an inch of its life, that is if the hair is thicker xoxo

Just a thought, but instead of square layers could you do a long grad with the shortest layers at the top cut from the side parting instead of the centre? The smaller side would have a steeper graduation and wispier ends but you wouldn't have the longer top layers on the smaller side like with a centre-parting cut.

I mean, you'd still have the problem of having to part it in the same place, but this way it wouldn't be crucial if she was a centimetre or two to either side of the original parting?

I'll admit I wouldn't like to cut it this way (I'm not keen on cutting to side parting unless it's asymmetric or a disconnect as it makes the style less flexible) but maybe to keep a demanding customer?

Otherwise, would say +100% about rounding layers out and slicing.

Don't know if this helps! :)

I have a side parting and i have one side shorter than the other so its balanced and you cant tell unless you pull it up and when im cutting side partings i tend to cut in a side parting i also chip in to the side that has less hair a lot more x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I have a side parting and i have one side shorter than the other so its balanced and you cant tell unless you pull it up and when im cutting side partings i tend to cut in a side parting i dont know why it does not make a diffrence but i suppose im just use to it i also chip in to the side that has less hair a lot more x

I have a side parting and i have one side shorter than the other so its balanced and you cant tell unless you pull it up and when im cutting side partings i tend to cut in a side parting i also chip in to the side that has less hair a lot more x

Im the same and a few clients prefer uneven layers so it nice look even, fine hair I wouldn't tho

I'd do what MTHAIR78 has sed
Go around the head in a orange seg
Secs
Rounding the layers
Starting at nape
Then horse shoe
Then top
And you do this type of layering with the side parting already in so u can completely see we're you going with and and the balance
Hth gun :) x

Opps! Hun* bloody phone lol x

Why do you do square layers? Why not be more creative? Did connection, personalise each hair cut to suit each individual client xx

Why do you do square layers? Why not be more creative? Did connection, personalise each hair cut to suit each individual client xx

Disconnection lol

I was going to say that!
I only ever do square layers if a client has really long hair and just wants slight long layers!
Basically boring as hell lol
#justmyopinion hehe

I was going to say that!
I only ever do square layers if a client has really long hair and just wants slight long layers!
Basically boring as hell lol
#justmyopinion hehe

Yep i agree there, i love disconnected layers xx

Yea me 2 :)
I did a few diamond section this week x

I always cut my foundation shape first, whatever I choose depending on what I need to achieve. I don't cut from a parting. Once my shape is in I blow dry and personalise every haircut. This is where I can visually work on the desired effect, including a side parting or uneven hair line, density etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back