Sidewall problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Emmsybabes~

Reaction score
Ok the client I had today I noticed all Of a sudden I am having sidewall problems,
This has happened a few times no matter what product I am using so I know its me !!
This client today had a long oval shape tip, which I thinned down, and then a thin layer of glitter and then I overlayed with pink,
she has quite slim long nail beds.
Now I can get zone 1 lovely apex there ready to continue with zone 2 and then zone 3, but yet as I am applying zone 2 I dont seem to be able to get it nice and flush with the nail plate at the sidewall's anymore,
then zone 3 is fine.
So now I am finding I am spending an awful long time filing,

Im so bad at explaining things,
Its like my sidewall and cuticle area used to be neat and flush, now its thicker and uneven,
I havent changed my brush, If I apply a smaller ball I then dont get it right to the sidewall's,

I dont know why this is happening now ? when I havent had this problem for months, it just seems to have been the last few times ,
Can anyone pick out on what I'm doing wrong ?
thankyou :hug:

Trying to picture what you mean, Is it that you are putting too much product in zone 1?

Ooooh, I'm confused too?:confused: But I'm sure someone will be along shortly that knows!!:)

I honestly dont know hun,
It's like I feel like I havent changed my applicaton method at all,
so I am at a loss,
I dont think I am applying too much product , same as always , the nail on a whole isnt too thick , The free edge ,apex and cuticle are almost totally spot on, sometimes I only need a white block to buff over,
Its just the sidewalls that are thicker and uneven and I am having to file quite a bit to make it flush,
like theres a wavy line where I have ended zone 1 and placed zone 2 ..
I used to be able to get it completely flush with my brush alone, then a buff over

I know Ill get a pic of a sidewall and show what I mean brb xx

I agree, I don't think peeps can really advise properly Emmsy without a pic or pics.

Can I just add that I am really pleased your biz is up and running. You sound over the moon and so excited :hug:. Well done. xx

I think you must have too much product somewhere otherwise you wouldn't need to file the excess. Are you placing the bead for Zone 2 just on the edge of Zone 1 so that each zone merges nicesly (I know you probably are and that it is more excess product you are trying to address as in the wave).

Have you tried Geeg's push and pull method which I think is great, particularly for sidewalls at Zone 2.

How about starting Zone 2 with your less dominant side - you know the technique that can help when doing smiles.

Try a smaller bead doing the push and pull.

Just a few thoughts.:confused:

I could be applying more product , without realising tbh,
I have just put my camera batteries on charge now,
I am going to take some pics, also going to try to get some of my brush angles,
Ill take notes as I am doing the nail mabey I can pick up on something I haven't realised,

oooh actually,I think I do do push and pull at the cuticle area but not in the sidewalls, ???
I think I just push out, then smooth over ?
Do you all use the flags of your brushes or,the side when doing the sidewalls ?

I know what I really need ....a 121 , the sooner my biz picks up the better :lol:

I use my brush in a paddle when doing the sidewalls but probably put more pressure to the sidewall egdge.

Perhaps you are thinking too much about things, ie try working instinctively rather than regimentally, if you know what I mean.

I now have a client coming soon she just phoned wooohooo ,
So I'll take pictures If I do find it happens again,
Shes a mate too so wont mind lol

I do think an awful lot while performing a set, and once I dont see things going the way I want them too, thats it , I get frustrated I dont let it show to the client but It does my head in,

I think Its because I know what I am aiming for, but I seem stuck in a rut now,
College was good, It gave me the foot on the ladder, The creative conversion was good, but it was only a conversion not a class as such ,
I feel stuck now, Like I have got as far as I'm going to get on my own, But can't afford more training at the minute,..
So I am getting a little stressed over things I cant really get better at without being shown and taught,
I'll try not to be so regimental (lol I am when I am doing nails I think sometimes I still think in steps rather that letting it flow)

I'll update when I'm done xxxxxxxxxx
thankyou

also emsy, are you pulling the skin away from the sidewalls flower, when youre applying the product, this does make a difference flower - as you can get further in - if that makes sense.

also emsy, are you pulling the skin away from the sidewalls flower, when youre applying the product, this does make a difference flower - as you can get further in - if that makes sense.

oooh no glynis I dont do this ,I'll give it a go though thankyou ,

This was my first thought. What you are saying puts me in mind of one of my clients, she has deep set nails which are surrounded by big fat fleshy sidewalls and sometimes it's even harder because if she's been nibbling at the sidewalls they swell and make it really difficult to get in there,iykwim. Could this account for why you were OK and now your not maybe?? Just a thought. With this particular client of mine I have to exert quite a bit of pressure in holding back the sidewalls, I used to be afraid I was pinching her lol, now I don't care as long as I can get in those crevices :lol: hth x

Perchance you are taking/pressing too much product down to the sidewalls instead of keeping most in the middle for your upper arch? Or maybe working a little too wet so the product is levelling down into the side walls?

reading through all the replies,
I have come to the conclusion a bit of everything you have all said fits
this client I see roughly every 2 weeks
she does have slightly deep sidewalls I think, also I have realised I hold her fingers with my thumb and forefinger but balance my ring finger under hers, probably pushing the sidewalls up even more :rolleyes:
I think you could also have a point that mabey I am not peaking the apex in the center enough, but spreading it out a little wide ?

Also today strangely is the first time on this one client I never got lifting on 2 of her nails as I was refining them ...which I was also stumped to why that was happening, when it doesnt on ANY other client
and its always the same 2 nails on this client ...

I have a picture of her natural nails somewhere I'm sure I do, I'll look for it now....

thankyou everyone the :idea: is starting to go on !

these are her nails taken about 5 months ago ..

client.jpg

I'm sure I remember reading in nail class about using your brush to sort of pull up from the side walls to the centre thus moving product to the centre. Does that make sense or am I making that up?! :hug:

Emma,
another thing I fall into from time to time is, stabbing at my side walls (just below the ears of the smile) I find if the client is going to get any lifting it will be there so try to make a firm contact with the natural nail, sometimes instead of pressing I stab! then the side wall can be a little bumpy, I get over this by flatting my brush and turning it on its side to achieve a smooth finish,
also as the weather is very slightly warmer (don't laugh !) you could be working a bit wetter and the product isn't playing ball !
I know your probably already doing this!! but as it is something I find my self doing it might help ! I know I for one sometimes mess up my brush control and mix ratio (normally when everything is ticking along nicely !)

Emma,
another thing I fall into from time to time is, stabbing at my side walls (just below the ears of the smile) yep I do this too I find if the client is going to get any lifting it will be there so try to make a firm contact with the natural nail, sometimes instead of pressing I stab! then the side wall can be a little bumpy,yep
I get over this by flatting my brush and turning it on its side to achieve a smooth finish, I do work with a flat brush. but after I have "stabbed at it" its then started to cure and cant be smoothed
Thankyou hun x

The girl didn't even show up last night, so I couldnt have a go again ,
but ill soak one of my nails down later and see if it happens again xxx

Hi I'm new to this I'm stuck on a question about how I apply liquid and powder to a nail without getting it on the cuticle and sidewalls how can I not make it happen a What can I do about it

Hi I'm new to this I'm stuck on a question about how I apply liquid and powder to a nail without getting it on the cuticle and sidewalls how can I not make it happen a What can I do about it
Hi it might be better to start your own thread on the nail forum as this post is 10 years old!

Have you done any training?

Latest posts

Back