Sienna X disappointment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liane

Reaction score
I usually use a locally made tanning solution but wanted to try Sienna x as everyone was raving about it. I have done four spray tans using it and each one was very disappointing. While it smelled nice and it looked lovely when it first went on, the next day when it was washed off it almost vanished! I was using 10 and although I went over the odd area more than once, I was advised by someone at Sienna x that if you sprayed over an area twice it would come off the next day! Is this the case? Does anyone else find this?

I usually use a locally made tanning solution but wanted to try Sienna x as everyone was raving about it. I have done four spray tans using it and each one was very disappointing. While it smelled nice and it looked lovely when it first went on, the next day when it was washed off it almost vanished! I was using 10 and although I went over the odd area more than once, I was advised by someone at Sienna x that if you sprayed over an area twice it would come off the next day! Is this the case? Does anyone else find this?

That sounds like a strange piece of advice.

I can't see the logic of why spraying twice would make it wash off.

I trialled Sienna X when I was looking for a second tan solution to offer alongside St Tropez.

I trialled it on a few models and found it was quite orange in colour.

I went with Nouvatan in the end.

I agree, that does seem a strange piece of advice. Do you mean that spraying over somewhere twice would have no effect on the tan and therefore if you did happen to go over somewhere twice, it would just wash off (meaning the second ccoat of guide colour you sprayed)

That does seem very strange advice? Did you get a name? I'd ring back and speak to Fiona Harrison or Harriet Condon.

Speaking to Sienna X the other day, they do have some new staff and perhaps you've spoken to a newbie who was a little "over enthusiastic" with their advice!

I've only ever had an issue with 12.5% on 1 client. The same solution was used before and after, so it was put down to the client and either her not following prep or her skin not being suitable for spray tanning-it was her first spray tan.Sienna was great though and took the batch number etc....

I'd definitely follow this up with either of the 2 ladies above.

I had exact same problem! I sprayed my friend and she text me the next day to say she wasnt tanned at all... Cringe!! Barely had a tan line. Im wondering if maybe our density dials are too low? Iv changed mine just half a notch to see if that makes a difference. X

Ive been using it for over 2 years now and spray nearly every day. I've not had a single complaint. I also use the rapid tan on myself every 10days with good results.
I'm not sure why this has happened with you, but spraying twice will not make the tan wash off.:)

I thought it was strange advice too!! I ordered some sample bottles and when they rang for an update I told them that the tan had washed off the next day on all of my clients, she then rang back and said during the Sienna X training, learners are told that if you "double" spray with Sienna it will cause it to come off and everyone on the training knows that. It needs to be a single spray only (quite difficult I find!). I explained that I didnt do their training and this should have been explained to me when I purchased the sample. She just apologised and that was it! Dont know whether to buy more (again) or just give it up as a bad job. I note that some of you refer to the nozzle on the spray gun, mine has no indication of whether it is on full or low etc, how can you tell?

I did my Sienna X training in February and due to moving house not long after, i have only just started doing my practicing. The 1st 2 friends i did with 10% and the next day they were barely tanned at all. I think as it was my first go i was being a scardey cat and not standing close enough, so a couple of days later i did them again, stood a bit close and opened my spray nozzle a tiny bit more and it came out fine. Since then i have practiced some more and they are getting better so i think it was just me, not the product.
Liane when we did our training we were told to close the nozzle completely, then open it with two and a little bit turns if that makes sense, and that should be just enough for the spray to come out evenly!

How odd? I use Sienna X and trained with them and never heard that. I did hear if you go over twice though it will be darker? That's what I've always found.

Getting the nozzle right is trial and error as there are markings on the Maximist gun. (On the course Sienna X show you how to set it up correctly). With the Maximist gun, my Off is at 2 o clock. I turn it to 20 past 2 and that works just right for me. So in other words, just less then a half a turn. I use 50mls of solution per client. When you spray, you should be able to see exactly where you've been with the guide colour. If you can't, then your nozzle is too closed so your tan will not come out too well when showered. I hope this helps.:)

I trained with sienna x and was told that spraying twice would have no affect, that it wouldn't even make it darker and was just a waste of tan? I've never heard that it would come off? Sounds rather strange as long as you've sprayed the area whether its twice or not it would tan.
The only problem iv had is with a client on HRT iv tanned her 4 times in total with 8% and the second tan she had didnt take all over just in certain places but she still came back!

Since changing to Sienna x my tanning appointments have doubled!! I find the 10% is most popular x

Really strange. I dont know what to do now, whether to chance buying more again and trying my nozzle just open at a quarter and buying a 12 instead of a 10? I really want to offer an a more well known brand as well as my local one but dont know whether to give sienna up as a bad job!

I was also trained with Sienna X, the advice I was given about the double spraying is that to do an extra spray would have no extra tanning effect after you have already sprayed the skin once, this second spray would be a waste of tanning solution as it would simply wash off. Some clients often ask to be sprayed over again to achieve a darker look, however one layer is the only layer that will do the trick.

Maybe there was a little bit of a mix up with the advice, and this is what was really meant?

Adjust your spray tan pressure and see if this makes a difference to your spray tanning, when I first started I had a similar issue but it was just because the pressure was not on the right setting on my gun.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Have you thought about doing their training? That way you can take your gun along and ask as many questions as you like! I did my training with them in April and was sprayed twice (with 8%) due to it being a small number of trainees and mine CERTAINLY took!! I looked like I'd had a month in Jamaica the following day! We were not told that spraying twice would mean no tan.

Hi I trained in April with Sienna and I was told not to spray twice but tbh I do everyone twice and seems to be ok, I did my daughter tho and it was very pale I used 8% , but I seem to be getting too many tans I have done 12 and have more than half litre left, I turn dial 2 and half turns , and check on couch roll not wet opposite side as suggested so I am going to call trainer as she said I should get 15 tans per litre so I'm confused coz clients are def tanned x

I'm finding it all really strange, especially when an 8% is being referred to as I had problems with 10%! I genuinely cant understand how four people have turned out almost white the next day after I've sprayed them. I can't afford to retrain with Sienna x but surely not everyone who buys their products trains with them??

Hi Liane yes I'm a bit confused also, but I wouldn't think necessary to train with them as long as you have trained with someone I think the secret lies in the gun settings which to be honest confuse me I just turn to what I think 2.5 and test on roll but I sprayed my niece tonight 8% twice and tbh it did look pale but we are trialling that before we use 10% as its for her wedding.:eek: don't want a tangoed bride.

But I'm pretty new to tanning I will phone Sienna tomorrow and see what they say, if you want I can mention ur clients saying tan washing of x

I love sienna x and have never had a problem. Possibly due to faulty batch??! Xx

I've been trained with sienna over 3 years & never had this problem, it's strange! How far away are you holding the gun from the skin? Or it could be the gun, or a dodgey batch? It's strange! I love sienna, tried most of other brands too but sienna is the best! I'd try it again xxxxx

Latest posts

Back