Sienna X-right colour for a redhead?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillypops

Reaction score
I have a lady who is a red head (she does highlight it blonde). She has quite olive skin and does tan quite well in the sun, no burning or anything really. I did recommend maybe a 10% for her to try for her first time. But she wanted a 8% she is quite fussy and wasn't happy with the colour, said it was quite orange looking for her. I personally thought it looked lovely. There was a little tail tail tan marks on her fingers and very very faint mark on her wrist (i did the tan like i always do and applied the barrier cream as normal)

Could it be that fake tan just isnt for her? or could it be that she needs to go darker to compliment her skin ton?

Her words were, 'i would never go this colour in the sun' (in a bad comment)

Thing is you recommend a higher % and there faces drop!

What do you think guys?

Difficult one,I often find that customers " don't want to go too dark and look silly" and the next day when I ring tell me they love it but wish they had chosen to go darker. Sometimes you have to try a couple of products or colors to get the right match for especially fussy customers. The only way (IMO)to see if she will be happy with a new color is to do an inconspicuous patch test. I have little stencils which I use as "Tantoos" try the 8, the 10 and the 12 then she can pick and both of you are happy, or mix up a special color for her. She would probably like the idea that you are creating her a personalised tan.
Good luck but dont take it hard if she is impossible to please, you cant win then all. At least if you offer to help all you can then she can only have good things to say .
Which solution do you use ? Some have different base colors so show up differently on different clients.

Last edited:
I definatley would NOT go darker if she thinks the 8% looks orange.

She might even need to go to a lower % or use a fast/rapid tan and wash it off quite quite to get less colour.

My personal opinion is that Sienna X is an orangeish tan so it could also be a case that the brand doesn't suit the client.

If you want to try and keep this client I would recomend you try a different solution (perhaps Nouvatan 8% or Fresh Indulgence 7%) on her and see if she thinks that they are too dark too, or possibly try a fast/rapid tan and wash it off after just an hour for a really light tan, if she finds these too dark (or orangey) too your going to need to look for a lower DHA solution for her.

There are brands that sell 5% solution and maybe that will be more along the lines of what she is looking for.

I'm a redhead and don't think Sienna X is a good colour for us. Ask her to try Tantrick, Organics but best of all Vani-T. I take a good colour naturally and can manage up to 12% (in the summer).

HTH xx

A darker percentage would just make her look more orange. I have found a couple of my customers saying that they find Sienna quite orange in general, and they are hardcore tanners!! I use nouvatan and they said they liked the brown colour it gives. As baggy bear said, maybe get a light shade from another company for redheads. As they go out of date you could maybe buy a sample bottle of 8% from nouvatan (or somewhere else) and just use that? X

Difficult one,I often find that customers " don't want to go too dark and look silly" and the next day when I ring tell me they love it but wish they had chosen to go darker. Sometimes you have to try a couple of products or colors to get the right match for especially fussy customers. The only way (IMO)to see if she will be happy with a new color is to do an inconspicuous patch test. I have little stencils which I use as "Tantoos" try the 8, the 10 and the 12 then she can pick and both of you are happy, or mix up a special color for her. She would probably like the idea that you are creating her a personalised tan.
Good luck but dont take it hard if she is impossible to please, you cant win then all. At least if you offer to help all you can then she can only have good things to say .
Which solution do you use ? Some have different base colors so show up differently on different clients.

I will try the tantoo idea :) i use sienna X

I definatley would NOT go darker if she thinks the 8% looks orange.

She might even need to go to a lower % or use a fast/rapid tan and wash it off quite quite to get less colour.

My personal opinion is that Sienna X is an orangeish tan so it could also be a case that the brand doesn't suit the client.

If you want to try and keep this client I would recomend you try a different solution (perhaps Nouvatan 8% or Fresh Indulgence 7%) on her and see if she thinks that they are too dark too, or possibly try a fast/rapid tan and wash it off after just an hour for a really light tan, if she finds these too dark (or orangey) too your going to need to look for a lower DHA solution for her.

There are brands that sell 5% solution and maybe that will be more along the lines of what she is looking for.

I could see if she is up for trying different tans, i could ask companies for samples and see what works better for her, i don't normally have problems with sienna.... she wants to be darker! but said that she thought it was a very birch wood/ orange colour... i didn't think so at all. In her opinion she was expecting a golden dark tan look and its orange wood look to her. Her words not mine :o)

I love sienna, i don't go a dead dark golden colour but i am very very pale so i am more then happy with the results. Yet my daughter goes a fantastic barbados colour, she looks like she has been on the beach for a few weeks.

I'm a redhead and don't think Sienna X is a good colour for us. Ask her to try Tantrick, Organics but best of all Vani-T. I take a good colour naturally and can manage up to 12% (in the summer).

HTH xx

will try and get a sample to try, thank u

A darker percentage would just make her look more orange. I have found a couple of my customers saying that they find Sienna quite orange in general, and they are hardcore tanners!! I use nouvatan and they said they liked the brown colour it gives. As baggy bear said, maybe get a light shade from another company for redheads. As they go out of date you could maybe buy a sample bottle of 8% from nouvatan (or somewhere else) and just use that? X

will defiantly try a few samples and see what works. thank u

With a red headed daughter I've trialled quite a few solutions to find the right one and the best is Nouvatan 8%. Sienna X 8% is too orange for a red head and the only one that comes close is Tantrick 5%, but Nouvatan is better. I now have quite a few red headed clients that are all very happy with Nouvatan.

With a red headed daughter I've trialled quite a few solutions to find the right one and the best is Nouvatan 8%. Sienna X 8% is too orange for a red head and the only one that comes close is Tantrick 5%, but Nouvatan is better. I now have quite a few red headed clients that are all very happy with Nouvatan.

Hi, I have just ordered a sample with Nouvatan so we will have to try it. Do you find its also dark enough for her. The lady who i have is a sun worshiper when she is on holiday and is after that same kind of tan from a bottle but with out the orange.

I have no other problems with sienna X, I have another red head who loves it. I do have to say tho when u compare her sienna tan to a lady with a different hair colour i can see what she means as its just deeper and darker EVEN THO i dont think she is orange its what she feels.

Its just know what to do for the best as i dont want to offer loads of different products. But on the other hand i think i need to find a good tanning solution for my red head. :)

Hi, I have just ordered a sample with Nouvatan so we will have to try it. Do you find its also dark enough for her. The lady who i have is a sun worshiper when she is on holiday and is after that same kind of tan from a bottle but with out the orange.

I have no other problems with sienna X, I have another red head who loves it. I do have to say tho when u compare her sienna tan to a lady with a different hair colour i can see what she means as its just deeper and darker EVEN THO i dont think she is orange its what she feels.

Its just know what to do for the best as i dont want to offer loads of different products. But on the other hand i think i need to find a good tanning solution for my red head. :)

Nouvatan doesn't look like a spray tan. It's like you've been on holiday so I'm sure she will be chuffed with the Nouvatan result x

Nouvatan doesn't look like a spray tan. It's like you've been on holiday so I'm sure she will be chuffed with the Nouvatan result x

Just to add, try the 8% first but she will most likely be able to pull off the 10% too. I've sprayed a red head in Nouvatan 10% & it looked beaut! X

I used to use Sienna X and like it too, I just find Nouvatan has the edge and my clients love it.

I haven't tried darker because all my red headed clients have loved the 8%, but in general, I do find that you can go darker with Nouvatan than you would with other solutions, without it going orange.

Just to add, try the 8% first but she will most likely be able to pull off the 10% too. I've sprayed a red head in Nouvatan 10% & it looked beaut! X

Sounds good, thats the look she is after i think. I have to wait for my samples to arrive. would you test full body? or would you do a patch test of a few together so she can compare ?
thanks

I used to use Sienna X and like it too, I just find Nouvatan has the edge and my clients love it.

I haven't tried darker because all my red headed clients have loved the 8%, but in general, I do find that you can go darker with Nouvatan than you would with other solutions, without it going orange.

sounds fab! have to give it ago when it arrives. I have told her, she said its prob just her and not to worry but i would still like to know. Then i can say ive tried. I don't think i will swap brands from sienna as i do love it (but u never know). But i can offer an alternative for the clients that dont get on with sienna, even tho its only been ONE up till now :o)

Will have to just wait! :o)

What is the developing time for Nouvatan?

What is the developing time for Nouvatan?
The development time for Nouvatan is the same as Sienna X, 8 hours or overnight.

I would just offer to spray the redhead with the all over 8% Nouvatan and see what she thinks of it - I wouldn't be dabbing her with loads of different samples as she seems to be a little reluctant to mess you about - saying 'don't worry about it, it's just me'.

The development time for Nouvatan is the same as Sienna X, 8 hours or overnight.

I would just offer to spray the redhead with the all over 8% Nouvatan and see what she thinks of it - I wouldn't be dabbing her with loads of different samples as she seems to be a little reluctant to mess you about - saying 'don't worry about it, it's just me'.

The reason i think she said that is because she didnt want me buying loads just for her. IVE TOLD HER THEY ARE ONLY SAMPLES and its good to get a different opinion on things and one tan isnt right for everyone! i will do my best to try and find one for her.

I will have a talk with her and see what she would prefer maybe as its still cold and she isnt flashing her legs i could just do them and see what she thinks, That way if she doesn't like it then it isnt on show.

Thanks for your advice :o)

Latest posts

Back