silk nails help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahlouise

Reaction score
hello geeks,
i hope you can help with my question hear goes..
my friend wanted silk wraps on natural nails and a day later you can see it is lifting from the free edge and at the corners at the bottom of the nail plate..really confuessed because i have looked at my notes to make sure i was doing it right and i did,this is what i did

.base work
.resin whole nail(air dry)
.apply silk
.resin(ary dry)
.resin then activate
.buff up

have i missed anything out guys? any ideas would be great,also can you use the edge wraps with star nails resin?or would i have to get star nails wraps..why i ask is that i was using the edge but am now using star nails but still have loads of edge stuff.i do know that you should not mix brands but don't know if this stands for wraps aswel-sorry if it's a silly question...thank you for reading xxx:hug:

Your theory sounds fine, you could add another application of resin after refining/buffing...

What I would suggest is looking for a range that offers you an apex building gel with a thicker viscosity, they usually have a brush-on activator as opposed to spray-on... I'm using Millennium at the moment and haven't got any complaints.

Re mixing brands, it's perfectly fine to use fibreglass/silk from one company and resin from another company, I would just make sure that the resin and activator is the same brand name.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/6426-generic-fibreglass-silk-step-step.html

hth's a bit

Yes you can use one system's wrap and anothers resin. Activators too can be interchanged. So no worries there.

Your base work (please define what you do as this is where your problems probably lie) must not have been thorough enough as there seems to be no bond there. Did you remove surface shine and dehydrate the nail plate well??
How old is your resin and is it 'stringy' at all?

hello geeks,
my friend wanted silk wraps on natural nails and a day later you can see it is lifting from the free edge and at the corners at the bottom of the nail plate..really confuessed because i have looked at my notes to make sure i was doing it right and i did,this is what i did

.base work
.apply silk
.resin(ary dry)
.resin then activate
.buff up

have i missed anything out guys? any ideas would be great,also can you use the edge wraps with star nails resin?or would i have to get star nails wraps..why i ask is that i was using the edge but am now using star nails but still have loads of edge stuff.i do know that you should not mix brands but don't know if this stands for wraps aswel-sorry if it's a silly question...thank you for reading xxx:hug:

Activators too can be interchanged. So no worries there.
Really? I didn't know that :o
I thought (wrongly) that the same applied re activators and resins as per monomer and powder... thanks Gigi xx

Really? I didn't know that :o
I thought (wrongly) that the same applied re activators and resins as per monomer and powder... thanks Gigi xx

Resin is pretty much resin (thin or thick) and activator is pretty much activator (with different smells added). XXX

Yes you can use one system's wrap and anothers resin. Activators too can be interchanged. So no worries there.

Your base work (please define what you do as this is where your problems probably lie) must not have been thorough enough as there seems to be no bond there. Did you remove surface shine and dehydrate the nail plate well??
How old is your resin and is it 'stringy' at all?

thank you for reply...
base work
.check for contra indications...
.sterilize hands and nails
.shape natural nails
.cuticle remover
.push back cuticles
.dehydrate nails-cotton bud,acetone(i was wondering is it ok to use acetone all the time when dehydreating does this damage the natural nail?)
.remove shine with a 240 grit
i take the most time in the base work.

the resin,it can be stringy at times but i read that this could be due to using resin after using activator...?my resin is only 2months old..how often should i be replacing? thank you

Your theory sounds fine, you could add another application of resin after refining/buffing...

What I would suggest is looking for a range that offers you an apex building gel with a thicker viscosity, they usually have a brush-on activator as opposed to spray-on... I'm using Millennium at the moment and haven't got any complaints.

Re mixing brands, it's perfectly fine to use fibreglass/silk from one company and resin from another company, I would just make sure that the resin and activator is the same brand name.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/6426-generic-fibreglass-silk-step-step.html

hth's a bit

thank you for the quick reply,i shall try resin after buffing this may help,after doing this should i let it air dry?so that's the last thing i need to do is apply the resin after buffing? sorry if silly question x

thank you for reply...
base work
.check for contra indications...
.sterilize hands and nails (You can only cleanse hands and nails, you cannot sterilise them)
.shape natural nails
.cuticle remover (are you removing all of this?)
.push back cuticles
.dehydrate nails-cotton budI would scrub well with a gauze pad and not use a cotton bud .... you realy need to scrub the surface well),acetone(i was wondering is it ok to use acetone all the time when dehydreating does this damage the natural nail?) (no Acetone does not damage the nails, but it would be better to use a proper nail snaitizer like Scrub Fresh from CND. It contains pathogen inhibitors to guard against infection)
.remove shine with a 240 grit (Are you sure this is doing the job ... best not to use a block buffer as they go smooth so fast and are then no longer 240 grit and they also hold contamination and oils)
i take the most time in the base work. Good girl, so you should.

the resin,it can be stringy at times but i read that this could be due to using resin after using activator...?my resin is only 2months old..how often should i be replacing? thank you
If you have kept your resin in good conditions, then it should be alright. It doesn't go off that quickly. It is off when it is stringy as you squeeze it out of the bottle.

If you have kept your resin in good conditions, then it should be alright. It doesn't go off that quickly. It is off when it is stringy as you squeeze it out of the bottle.

ooops..sorry thats what i ment re-sterilizing i ment i use sanitising spray:o

sorry...highlighted wrong bit(still getting use to the site!)

when you ask am i removing all of the cuticles with cuticle remover how do you mean?
i appy the remover (let it do it's job for 5-10mins)then carry on with next step of base work.
i use a 240 file for removing shine not a white block x

when you ask am i removing all of the cuticles with cuticle remover how do you mean?
Gigi means, are you removing all of the cuticle (non living tissue) from the nailplate before applying your resin etc.

hth's

i appy the remover (let it do it's job for 5-10mins)then carry on with next step of base work.
i use a 240 file for removing shine not a white block x

surely its all dried up and evaporated by the time 5-10 mins is up:confused:

i use star nails cuticle remover..on the back it says leave on 5-10 mins then wash off then cuticles can be remove from the nail plate...so thats what i do....

i use star nails cuticle remover..on the back it says leave on 5-10 mins then wash off then cuticles can be remove from the nail plate...so thats what i do....

blimey, that takes ages.
my cuticle remover only takes a couple of minutes i use creative or hive, they are both excellent at the job.
i put it on after sanitising and by the time i've shaped the nails with a file its ready to go.

blimey, that takes ages.
my cuticle remover only takes a couple of minutes i use creative or hive, they are both excellent at the job.
i put it on after sanitising and by the time i've shaped the nails with a file its ready to go.

well it only really needs a good 5mins...so while i wait for that job to be done i shape the nails like you said.

well it only really needs a good 5mins...so while i wait for that job to be done i shape the nails like you said.

After you have applied the cuticle remover product what do you then do to remove the none living tissue that has been softened? You still need remove this (not just the liquid) as leaving this behind will cause you lifting problems.

Apologies if I miss understood what you mean here.

I use soft touch silk wrap system. The resin has to be activated every layer. Dont know if that could be anything to do with it. Hth's.

I use soft touch silk wrap system. The resin has to be activated every layer. Dont know if that could be anything to do with it. Hth's.
The problem you could face by activating every layer of resin is that when you apply the next coat of resin the brush can react to the activator on the nail, that's why the first coat is usually air dried before applying the second coat, then a quick buff before applying the last coat.

hth's

After you have applied the cuticle remover product what do you then do to remove the none living tissue that has been softened? You still need remove this (not just the liquid) as leaving this behind will cause you lifting problems.

Apologies if I miss understood what you mean here.

after cuticle remover i remove the none living tissue that has been softend with a metal tool,used to use a wooden stick but they don't do the job as well.

hello geeks,

.base work
.apply silk
.resin(ary dry)
.resin then activate
.buff up

Going back to your question...
I had this problem and I've been told it's because maybe the gel has flooded the surrounding area, rather than sitting neatly on the nail, like the way nail enamal is applied!
Would anyone agree with this theory?

Latest posts

Back