Silk wraps

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie111

Reaction score
I'm newly qualified and mainly doing fibreglass using silk fabric. I've heard of silk wraps, is this just silk put on natural nails? Do you still use resin, activator?

Fibreglass and silk are pretty much the same thing.
When using silk you can place this on the natural nail or on a tip.
Once you have placed this on the nail or tip you must use your brush on resin, by the time you have done all 10 nails it should be dry ready to apply another coat. activator is used to speed up the drying of the resin if only doing 1 nail. hope this helps all in all i use the brush on resin 3 times to insure a hard solid layer.

Thanks for replying, I noticed there were plenty of viewings but only one answer. Does this mean I'm not the only one confused by this. The way you described is exactly what I do whether I use silk or fabric, this is called fibreglass nails isn't it?

So what are silk wraps are they done only on natural nails?
I must seem thick but it's only because I had a really bad teacher at college, more interested in painting her nails than teaching us.
I've done loads of sets of what I know as fibreglass by applying tip, 2 coats of brush on resin, layer of silk, another 2 coats of resin, activator. I've been very sucessful with these and even if not infilled they will stay on for at least 3 weeks before starting to come off, lift etc. I'm obviously doing them right. It's so annoying not being taught correctly.
I've only done 1 set of acrylics because I'm so unconfident in doing them so I'm planning to go on a ezflow course as I've heard these are good.

Hi hon.

You don't mention which system you're using?

I use the "Backscratchers" system (distributed in the UK by SuperNail Ltd) which was the original fibreglass system and came over here in the 1980s. I tend to use their Fibreglass over blended tips and their "Sheeer Magic" China Silk for Natural Nail Wraps.

I'm sure many others (Nailsinlondon1 for one) will have done a better explanation of this than me in the past :o (see the "search" facility at the top), but here's an overview of my Natural Nail Wrap application (important to note tho chick, this will vary from system to system):

1) Prep (sanitise hands, remove excess cuticle/tissue from nail plate, sanitise hands again, scrub natural nails with Hygienic Elegance, etc).

2) Apply 1 coat Stikr resin (or I use Extreme Base Glaze) to each natural nail. Activate. Repeat this step again.

3) Cut a Sheeer Magic china silk stress strip for each nail and apply (DO NOT RESIN!)

4) Cut whole piece of Sheeer Magic china silk and apply. (Remember to leave a little "margin" around the silk pieces on all sides except the free edge in steps 2 & 3 ). I also leave the silk slightly longer than the natural nail to provide added protection.

5) Resin all nails with Stikr and allow to air dry. Resin with Stikr again and - only if the wraps appear shiny - activate (if they still appear "meshy", apply another layer of Stikr resin until shiny and activate then).

6) Resin all nails with Stikr and activate again.

7) Buff and shape with a 240 grit file.

8) Apply final layer of Stikr resin (or I use Extreme Finish Glaze) and activate.

9) Buff with 600 grit, white and grey buffer (or Supershine by SuperNail after 600 grit, instead of white and grey buffer) and apply Nail Radiance cuticle oil to all nails.

Really HTHs and that I haven't confused you half to death :o

Only my opinion, but would def invest in the best training you can afford. Get with a reputable company, get some decent training and the rest will follow naturally - you'll be fine.

Take care and best of luck. x

marie111 said:
Thanks for replying, I noticed there were plenty of viewings but only one answer. Does this mean I'm not the only one confused by this. The way you described is exactly what I do whether I use silk or fabric, this is called fibreglass nails isn't it?

So what are silk wraps are they done only on natural nails?
I must seem thick but it's only because I had a really bad teacher at college, more interested in painting her nails than teaching us.
I've done loads of sets of what I know as fibreglass by applying tip, 2 coats of brush on resin, layer of silk, another 2 coats of resin, activator. I've been very sucessful with these and even if not infilled they will stay on for at least 3 weeks before starting to come off, lift etc. I'm obviously doing them right. It's so annoying not being taught correctly.
I've only done 1 set of acrylics because I'm so unconfident in doing them so I'm planning to go on a ezflow course as I've heard these are good.

Hi Marie, I think you are right about your college tutor!! ok, there are generally two types of fabric used, silk or fibreglass, they are both used in the same way (correct me if I'm wrong wrap geeks as I don't do wraps), you can either use them over tips for enhancements or on the natural nail for a 'wrap'. If you have recently qualified then it's down to your tutors bad teaching methods that you don't know these basic facts :rolleyes: and I think you are very wise to look into further training, I trained with both Ezflow and Creative and they were both fab. So, silk nails are silk nails and fibreglass nails are fibreglass nails (does that make sense?) J xx

wat is the difference between silk and fibre glass??

Hi em,

Fibreglass is a synthetic mesh with a loose weave, its marginally stronger than silk and silk has a fine weave. I find silk easiar as its easiar to get off the sticky backing but fibreglass cos of that weave it takes me ages to peel the blighters off . HTH

Thanks to everyone who replied, I understand now. I've been doing mainly silk, just got in from doing 2 sets. Has anyone an idea how much acrylic training with ezflow is?

Hi Marie,

If you phone them on 01204 412002 or email them [email protected] they should be able to advise you on prices for their courses. Also aswell its really handy, if you click site stuff and then industry links, there is a big list of all the suppliers and associations do do with the nail industry at whole. It gives you the web addies, tel no. etc HTH

Yes. When using fibreglass, silk, or linen , you always have to use resin and activator.

Dorothy
Classy Claws Nail & Beauty Studio
Victoria BC Canada

:lol:

Do you have to put a layer of resin first before applying the silk? I wasn't taught that but not sure if it makes a lot of difference? x

Latest posts

Back