Silly Question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vicky

Southern Geek
Reaction score
I had a client in the other day and she had a new set and nail art, so i finished of with alittle Solar Speed. I always tell the client what im doing and cover my hand over the one im spraying so there's no spray flying around.

Well here comes the question...I sprayed and then the client just couldnt stop coughing...:eek: i had to run and get her a glass of water and this still wasnt enough...i felt so bad! She then went on to tell me that she had a nut allerge and asked what was in the spray.

Could Solar Spray/ oil have this effect or did she just inhale at the wrong time?

Vicky

Not sure whats in it but it always reminds me of bakewell tarts.....and they are almondy arent they.....

Hi, the solar oil does contain almond oil, not sure if it would be enough to cause an allergic reaction, but there you go. It also contains jojoba, rice bran (or bran rice? not sure which) and vitamin e, does it not say on the packaging?

Anyway, I wouldn't use it on this client again until you know for sure what caused it, just in case. I'm sure somebody with a bit more knowledge will answer soon enough! Hope I helped a bit

i think it is really rare to get someone with an allergy to almond oil, but to be on the safe side i always ask if they have nut allergys , and if so i use a different oil /or fsat drying top coat , hth

I found this thread very interesting.

I, like Dee, always ask my client if they have a nut allergy.....it is better to be safe than sorry in this day and age. Also this info should surely be required on Client Record Cards.....I may be wrong but would it not affect your insurance if you didn't ask??? (In severe cases).

WOW, I never thought that Solar oil could afferct nut allergy clients, that's surley something to think about.

Your right Nikki I will have to amend my CRC.

inspirationails said:
WOW, I never thought that Solar oil could afferct nut allergy clients, that's surley something to think about.

Your right Nikki I will have to amend my CRC.
mmm hmmm...just thinking the very same thing. Never occurred to me. Will amend immediately!!!
dontcha love it here! x

hi, i wondered the same thing the other week after chatting to Luci (scattyfox) in geek chat abt nut allergies, i have a clients whos little girls suffers v bad... when i used to use cnd i couldnt use solar oil on her as it would affect her little one.... this was a yrs ago now and since converting to ezflow my client reported no problems with ezflow essential oil plus
well to get it all straight i contacted head office just to be on the safe side... i had checked out the msds and i knew that essential oil plus contains aloe vera and jojoba oil as well as being high in vit e but i couldnt find anything on nuts (i wasnt 100% what jojoba was (i have blonde moments...lol) as in was it a nut.. i didnt think it was and as it happens its a desert shurb/bean) well i had done everything rite as it was confirmed that eop is fine as far as we know but just to be on the safe side get your client to seek some medical advice before hand... then ya covered like getting them to sign a disclaimer too :)
hth

Jess
xox

While it's possible your clients reaction could have been caused by a Nut allergy, there's mounting evidence to suggest the Vitamin E content in Solar Oil is quite an irritant.

On a separate but relevant note, a recent article published in a journal called "Dermatologic Surgery" looked at the effectiveness of vitamin E applied to post surgical scars. Vitamin E was not found to improve the cosmetic appearance of wounds. Researchers also found that one-third of the people in the study group got contact dermatitis from vitamin E.
Vitamin E could even worsen the scar because of irritation and also interfere with the natural healing process.

If it can do all that heaven knows what it would do to your lungs is all I can say?

My sister has an allergy to any type of nuts. Just standing next to someone who had them for lunch is enough to start her allergy. Her throat closes and face puffs up....not nice. I wouldn't use Solar products near your client again.

Debster said:
While it's possible your clients reaction could have been caused by a Nut allergy, there's mounting evidence to suggest the Vitamin E content in Solar Oil is quite an irritant.

On a separate but relevant note, a recent article published in a journal called "Dermatologic Surgery" looked at the effectiveness of vitamin E applied to post surgical scars. Vitamin E was not found to improve the cosmetic appearance of wounds. Researchers also found that one-third of the people in the study group got contact dermatitis from vitamin E.
Vitamin E could even worsen the scar because of irritation and also interfere with the natural healing process.

If it can do all that heaven knows what it would do to your lungs is all I can say?
I find it absolutely extraordinary that anyone could make such an ill-informed and downright asinine statement about the content of Vitamin E in SolarOil.

While vitamine E in its pure form (which is what you go on to talk about) may or may not be found to improve the appearance of scars, this has nothing to do with SolarOil (which contains a combination of 4 different light botanical oils) or its efficacy as a nail and skin treatment.

For 25 years SolarOil as a product has been used and voted time and again 'Best Product' by Beauty editors and Nail technicians have the evidence of their own clients that attest to how great the product is and how beneficial when used regularly.

Speaking of SolarOil and scars, however, I have used it post surgery on some recent scars with great success and a close friend after a boob job used it and her Plastic Surgeon was SO impressed with how well her skin healed, he now regularly buys it and issues it post op to all his patients to use, especially around the eye area!!!

I have never seen solarOil cause an irritation (nor heard of it causing an irritation) on any client and I have used it constantly for nearly 20 years ... Not to mention distributed it to thousands of other nail technicians for 15 years ... and never had a single complaintabout the product or how it performs.

As to the nut allergy thing, it would be a rarity indeed for anyone to react to the contents of SolarOil but with something like a nut allergy I would take precautions with any client who was sensitive to nuts. Solar Speed Spray contains many other ingredients so it is not smart to jump to conclusions as to what may have caused this clients reaction if she breathed it straight in.

To conclude, be careful about the comments you make regarding products about which you know nothing at all. Think of all the skin creams that contain vitamin e and are used by millions daily .... to suggest in writing on a world-wide public forum that the vitamin E content in solarOil is "quite an irritant" could be construed as libelous as well as irresponsible and a stupid statement to boot.

Some people can have a negative reaction to fine particulates - a friend of mine has this problem, so it possibly could have been the action of spraying rather than the content that was the problem.
I agree that it is important not to jump to conclusions, as there are several ingredients in Solaroil, and any of them could be the problem.
I would suggest finding out how severe her nut allergy is - if it is moderate to severe then I would avoid any products containing nut oils to err on the side of caution - it's not worth anaphylactic shock.
As has been said, excellent hygeine is important to avoid cross-contamination.

The perfumes contained within the product are quite possible culprits in reactions of this type.
There are other oils that should be avoided in the case of severe nut allergies - even applying them to the skin can be enough to cause a reaction.

Gigi

I can apreciate your points and they are very valid. However I feel that your conclusion would have been more apropriate sent as a private message, not publicly as you did.

Poor old Debster is new to this fantastic site, and that public comment alone, may well put her off ever coming on here again. I know that I would have been mortified if it had been aimed at me

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I missed this post from Geeg above. But it's going to take a little bit more than that to dissuade me from visiting this superb site again.

Sadly, there are numerous distributors out there more interested in their precious bottom line than the harm some of their products could cause to both clients AND Nail professionals. The F.D.A. (U.S. Federal Drug Administration) has a list for anyone interested in searching. http://www.fda.gov/cvm/greenbook/greenbook.html

Whilst I'm not suggesting Solar Oil is on the banned list, let's face it, if there are any complaints to be heard about Nail products on this forum, the last person we're going to here it from is some profit driven distributor with an agenda.

OKay, I'm no chemist, or allergist, but I do know that some nut allergies can be very severe. Some foodstuffs that don't contain nuts at all come with a warning to people with nut allergies, this is because they are produced on the same production line as foodstuffs that do have nuts in, and even this extremely limited contact can be enough to cause a severe reaction.

It may be an idea that you write down the list of ingredients for your client and she can present those to her allergist - if she has one. At least you know not to use it on her again!

When I trained with Nailtiques they made sure that you asked about nut allergies, because their cuticle oil is loaded with different nut oils. They said that people are usually sensitive/allergic to specific nuts but to be on the safe side use a non-nut based oil on clients with a nut allergy.

I'm surpised at the comments about vitamin E though because so many beauty manufacturers use it as an ingredient in their moisturisers, so much so that they promote it on the front of the packaging - so this came as a bit of a shock!

Thanks for so many replies...:) I'm still a little confused with it all but i will now change my client cards and be very careful were im spraying..!

Thanks again Ladies

Vicky

Hi, I may be new to the nail industry but I have been using Solar Oil for nearly ten years now and in that time I have recommended it to numerous friends and family. It has been used as a "magic oil" on children's grazes when they have fallen and bumped themselves. One family member uses on her Psoriasis 'cause she finds it helps mimprove the look of her skin, another on Eczma and no-one has ever had a rection to it. Could it just simply be that your lady breathed in at the wrong moment and inhaled a little of the oil? thus she would cough strongly! As I say I am no doctor but this seems a fair senario,

Chris

Debster said:
Whilst I'm not suggesting Solar Oil is on the banned list, let's face it, if there are any complaints to be heard about Nail products on this forum, the last person we're going to here it from is some profit driven distributor with an agenda.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow Debster, I have to say I take offense at your remark and it isnt even aimed at me!
While we all know that Gigi Rouse is Creative to the core, I dont think that comment is a very fair one. I dont know of any other company that cares for its clients and its clients clients in the way Creative does.
I wont say any more on this subject as I know that Geeg is one lady who knows how to defend herself very eloquently and Im sure she'll be more than happy to reply to your comments. :wink2:

However, it would be nice to know a little about you as you are new to the site.
When most peeps arrive here, they usually start by saying 'Hi' or asking a question. I dont mean to be rude, honestly I dont but, a little introduction and info on your credentials wouldnt have gone a miss before you began handing out your information.

Okay this thing about Vitamin E has been eating at me, so I went to the link you directed us to which is the FDA Approved ANIMAL Drug products. Now I ain't the prettiest Geek on the site, but I sure ain't no dog lol! So either you have directed us to the wrong site, or you should be on a vets forum, or you are totally misleading us!!!!!

So I went to the FDA home page and looked up cosmetics and this is what I found - and I have been researching this for the last 3 hours so it isn't something I have done lightly! Firstly I put in a search for Vitamin E which only brought me up with some drugs for animals. Then I went the whole shabang and looked up cosmetics (guys if you want to have a look it is full of loads of USEFUL information based on fact, particularly about MMA and formaldehyde in nail poducts, heres the link http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/%7edms/cos-toc.html).

So here we go, I'll actually print from their site .............

COSMETIC INGREDIENTS - UNDERSTANDING THE PUFFERY ...........
Although the debate about the value of vitamins in skin care products continues, it is generally accepted that a sufficient quantity of vitamin E (shown on ingredient lists as tocopherol), an antioxidant, preserves the fatty components in cosmetic creams and lotions to prevent off-color and off-odors.

COSMETIC SAFETY - MORE COMPLEX THAN AT FIRST BLUSH,( raises your point, but strangely this is under the heading "What's Natural" and not the Headed paragraph above it " Allergic reactions" (http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-safe.html) ) .............
Anyone who has ever had poison ivy knows that "natural" and "hypoallergenic" are not necessarily interchangeable terms. For example, some manufacturers of cosmetics marketed as natural products use naturally occurring vitamins E and C as preservatives. But, according to Alexander Fischer, M.D., author of Contact Dermatitis, "Topical vitamin E is a potent sensitizer which can produce both delayed allergic contact dermatitis and immediate allergic hives."
(funnily there is no reference to respiratory problems which was the whole point of this thread, adn definitely no reference to causing problems to lungs like you suggest)

(further down this link is a list of banned ingredients):

Except for color additives and a few prohibited ingredients, a cosmetic manufacturer may use any ingredient or raw material and market the final product without government approval. The prohibited ingredients are:
  • biothionol
  • hexachlorophene
  • mercury compounds (except under certain conditions as preservatives in eye cosmetics)
  • vinyl chloride and zirconium salts in aerosol products
  • halogenated salicylanilides
  • chloroform
  • methylene chloride
So guys go look on all your nail/ beauty/ products and if any of you find these listed on your ingredients I suggest you report back to the FDA!!!!!!!!!

There are so many health scares in these blasted journals these days that you'd never eat or drink anything again if you believed the half of what is written and this is one I could have done without.

Having reread and reread your thread I am not surprised that Gigi defended her product. You have quite clearly made remarks at a particular product (ie Solar products) and not to topical vitamin E as a whole, so perhaps you would like to post on here the evidence that you have come across to substantiate your claim. By the way I have no agenda, I have no links to Creative, I would just like the information on this site to remain as it was - informative and helpful. I should be very careful what you post in the future, your information is misleading, scaremongering and downright unprofessional and I for one would rather do without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back