Similarities in trade mark

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelancetrainer

Reaction score
Hello!
I’ve received notification that my application for trademark has similarities to another trademark of a Ltd company. I was already aware of this trademark but the trademark isn’t so similar that they sound or look the same. I can’t see why anyone would get confused between my trademark and the Ltd company, especially as I’m just one person, the Ltd company is pretty well known in the production of product rather than service. I’ve been told if it is opposed then I may need to meet legal costs if they win. That said, from all that I’ve read, they could oppose it but contact me first, giving me the opportunity to withdraw my application rather than heading down the legal route thus avoiding costs. So, I’m wondering if I should still allow the application to proceed but I am concerned that the Ltd company being much bigger than me, mag just head straight down the legal route thus incurring costs? I know I can then defend myself by showing that I wasn’t given the opportunity to withdraw at their request but interested to know what everyone’s thoughts are?
Do I take the chance that it may not be opposed?
Do I take the chance that it may be opposed but give me the opportunity to withdraw?
Or is it very likely that I’ll incur costs if they do oppose?
It’s cost me over £200 just to make the application that I want to push it a little further just incase it all works out but on the other hand, I really can’t afford any costs.

Nope, I'd walk away before it all starts

Think of a new name and start again. I'm sure it wouldn't be worth the time, expense or the amount of stress the process will cause you.

I’m thinking if I don’t push it forward then I’ll probably not use a name other than my own as it’ll cost me another £220 to reapply. ☹️

Hi! This happened to me,

"This is called the opposition period (Currently, about 5% of all applications published are opposed)."

You should always just go through with it, as you are notified when its opposed & also it never reaches the legal stages without you having a chance to say "ok I won't go use this trademark". IPO told me to go through with my high risk trade mark & it paid off.

That’s exactly what I’m thinking. From the information they’ve sent me in opposition it does seem that I have got to be told if someone is opposing it and I should be given the opportunity to withdraw at that point and it seems highly unlikely that I wouldn’t be given that opportunity as nobody wants the hassle and cost of that. It seems a big waste of £220 if I don’t push it that far. Thanks for your experience charlottehair.

That’s exactly what I’m thinking. From the information they’ve sent me in opposition it does seem that I have got to be told if someone is opposing it and I should be given the opportunity to withdraw at that point and it seems highly unlikely that I wouldn’t be given that opportunity as nobody wants the hassle and cost of that. It seems a big waste of £220 if I don’t push it that far. Thanks for your experience charlottehair.
No problem xx

Latest posts

Back