Simple nail art advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidgernetball

Ubergeek
Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
I hope you can help. I know there are a lot of threads about nail art etc, but I need some very simple instructions. We are offering free nail art throughout December in exchange for donations to our chosen charity which is Look Good Feel Better.

The problem is, we don't do nail art!!! We use CND Shellac and I have just bought Moyou plates, stamper, a couple of Moyou varnishes, Barry M silver and Gold and some rhinestones and nail decals - you can maybe tell I've read up a bit!!!

What I'm after is some advice on how to do it. We do glitters with no problems but that is it. We don't offer extensions, gel or acrylic, so it is really how to do it with Shellac!

I have never used a stamper and the rhinestones I've put on in the past last about 20 minutes. I do have nail glue which we use for repairs.

Please don't suggest I use the search facility - I have, and this IS for charity!

Please help! Thanks in advance,

Vic and Liv x

I find hearts are really easy to do.
All I do for them is get a dotting tool,
Do three dots close together, then join them up.

Polka dot are easy and look good.

Snowman are a good easy one for Christmas again use a dotting tool for the head and the body and a small dotting tool for the face add a little scarf and hat :)

Here's some of my Christmas nail art, I love doing it but not very good at it yet so these are all fairly easy to do.

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1414746268845.jpg
    1414746268845.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 321
I'm just teaching myself nail art too.

I've found polka dots with a dotting tool very simple, yet effective.

I've also bought some snow flake nail stickers from eBay for some Christmassy themed nails.

I googled easy nail art and found some great tutorials on you tube and they really were straightforward!

Good luck!! xx

This may help.....
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1414746821.197067.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1414746764.727475.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1414746764.727475.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 244
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1414758647.693210.jpg

Hi

These are the start of mine for this year. The Penguin and Reindeer are so simple to do and there are a couple on there that are just using different size dotting tools so very easy. Obviously it depends what sort of thing your clients may like. The majority of mine like to go all out at Christmas! X

P.s if you would like step by steps on how to do any of these just let me know.

Hiya, I am not very good at art, but I love stamping and one of my clients favourites at Christmas is a simple snowflake stamp with a crystal in the middle. Do Shellac as normal, top coat, wipe. Add stamp, top coat again, place crystal in uncured top coat, use a dotting tool to dot top coat around edges of crystal for extra security, then cure and wipe.

Done this in Black as I was fed up of Red and Green last year. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
A few from Pinterest, none of them mine, but fairly easy to do :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 251
And another from Pinterest :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 238
Do you usually glue the rhinestones on top of the finished nail or do you usually put it underneath the top coat? It'll definitely stay longer with a couple layers of top coat over it.
Also, you might want to use regular nail polish or better yet acrylic paint to do the actual nail art. Gel polishes are harder to control since they want to level. You can get some cool effects with gel nail art but if you aren't used to doing nail art on a regular basis it might be frustrating to go that route. So if you use shellac as the background color and finish with the shellac top coat like you usually would, then you can do nail art right on top using regular polish or acrylic paint. If you mess up no big deal just use some non acetone remover (or water if using acrylic paints) and the shellac underneath won't be affected. Then you can use a regular top coat over the nail art. Doing it this way (i.e. not using gel polish for the actual nail art designs) might encourage more clients to get nail art in the first place. If they know they aren't stuck with the design for 2 weeks and by taking it off it won't ruin the underlying shellac manicure, I think people who normally wouldn't get nail art would be more open to it.....especially if it's for charity.
Lastly, another simple thing you could do is use foils. They give cool effects and you don't have to have tons of practice to get them looking right. Hope this was helpful. Good luck!

http://youtu.be/ebBVxSzPm54
Check out Sarah's work she is awesome !!

Thanks to everyone for their help. It is going to be a laugh, if nothing else, having a go at stamping and Christmas nails.

I have seen Sarah's work on here and it is amazing, as is the work of many other clever geeks.
Please bear in mind my absolute uselessness when it comes to nail art.

It is funny. We had a new client in today and I was telling her about buying some plates and decals for stamping. She usually goes elsewhere but was given a voucher for ours.

She has now booked in for England rugby nails. White with a cross and a rose or two. I think I need to retire. Just thinking about it is stressful. Fortunately I think a plate I ordered had something resembling a rose and I have booked her in with my daughter lol!

I'll have a go at some diamanté, glitter etc abs hopefully we'll raise a bit of money for such a great charity.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

The Santa hats are so cute BBCharmer!

The Santa hats are so cute BBCharmer!

They're fab aren't they?

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to share pics and tips. When all our bits arrive, I'll let you know how we go. I'll upload some wonky reindeer or weird blobs that are meant to be snow!

Vic x

Vicki you have had me in stitches reading this thread!

Here goes, foolproof instructions.....

Snowmen- two white circles(or blobs) with black dots for eyes and buttons, blob for nose and a line for a scarf...easy??!! White dots for snow around him and voila!!

Stars- blob a colour onto nail with toothpick and flick five lines away from the blob from centre out...stars!!

Snowflakes- blob in the middle and then five lines of dots going away from blob, do several in different sizes!

Xmas trees- build up a triangle shape in dots, start with green dots and then add other colours, will look like a tree of baubles and then do a gold or silver star on top

Dots can look so effective in all different colours all pver the nails, create zig zags, lines, crosses all sorts all in dots! Cant go wrong!

Foil dots-paint dots in blackpool and cure over a shellac nail that has had inhibition layer removed, apply foil...it will only stick to dots and will look like gems but wont lose them!

Do a set of rockstars and the. Paint a colour over the top, leave to settle for minute and then using a clean gel brush or dotting tool carve a design out, swirls, curves, lines anything and cure then top coat

Cant wait to see how you get on xx

Wow Souz Thank you so much. I have foils in my drawer that have never been used. I also have some additives that haven't been opened.
Liv seemed quite fired up to give everything a go but I'll definitely have to push myself out of my comfort zone.

There may be pics in the future but I have to confess, there may not lol x

I don't know if this will help but a lot of my client don't like the raised gems they say they fiddle with them & irritate them Etc so I now use the larger holographic glitter flakes with some clients.
I'll attach a picture so you can see on one of the fingers.
Some really great tips!
I'd have your designs on colour pops so they can choose & you've got a guide in front of you so don't panic, you'll be fantastic.
Hearts dots & all said above.
Kt :)
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1414828606.798106.jpg

Latest posts

Back