Single Parent Holidays

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MummyCat

Reaction score
Morning!

So I've just received my passport and I'm dying to go away somewhere, but finding the prospect of going away as a single parent quite daunting! I'm not that bothered about travelling on my own with mini-me, I'm just more worried about when we get to our chosen destination, and having no one but mini-me to talk to!:Scared:

It will be our first time going away on our own and spending that much time together alone without the interaction of other people. We're both quite friendly and chatty, so hopefully we'll make friends with other people while we're there.

I was just wondering if you guys can help me feel less anxious about it all, do you go away as single parent families and do you make friends while you're away?

Ideally I'd like to go somewhere hot like Turkey, Portugal, Canary Islands, somewhere close to the beach and preferably all inclusive. I don't drive so it will need to be somewhere within a local town etc.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Morning!

So I've just received my passport and I'm dying to go away somewhere, but finding the prospect of going away as a single parent quite daunting! I'm not that bothered about travelling on my own with mini-me, I'm just more worried about when we get to our chosen destination, and having no one but mini-me to talk to!:Scared:

It will be our first time going away on our own and spending that much time together alone without the interaction of other people. We're both quite friendly and chatty, so hopefully we'll make friends with other people while we're there.

I was just wondering if you guys can help me feel less anxious about it all, do you go away as single parent families and do you make friends while you're away?

Ideally I'd like to go somewhere hot like Turkey, Portugal, Canary Islands, somewhere close to the beach and preferably all inclusive. I don't drive so it will need to be somewhere within a local town etc.

Any help will be much appreciated!

2mg diazapam

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

2mg diazapam

Only 2? :lol:

OP, why do you find it daunting? I would LOVE to spend a week with just me & my son. Even more so abroad :D

2mg diazapam

LOL!
I can only give my experience as the kid of a single parent. Whether it was with just my mum or with a friend of hers, I always used to gravitate towards other kids and to be honest that's mainly what I remember about the best bits of the holidays/trips. Kids rooms or activities always kept me busy and my mum was either relaxing or making friends too. So I wouldn't worry, there's always other parents in the same boat you can befriend.

Hi! I had to comment on this. I had the same problem as you a couple of years ago when I went to Corfu it was just me and my daughter who was 5 at the time.

I was so worried but in the end I had no reason to at all. Kids are brilliant ice breakers. She made loads of friends and in the end I also made friends with the parents. One of the girls she made friends with was also on her own with her two daughters. Another two friends she made were with their parents and in the end we sat round the pool every day together and we meet up for drinks in the evenings all parents and kids and we had a great time! I'm doing it again in Ibiza for just a week this time and I can't wait! To be honest even if she doesn't make friends this time which I'm sure she will I'm going to love it just the two of us, we'll have a great time together.

So I do totally understand your worries I was exactly the same as you but please relax and know that you will have a great time, I certainly did and I can't wait to do it again! xx

2mg diazapam

Oh believe me, I've been double dropping beta blockers at the shear thought of it!

Only 2? :lol:

OP, why do you find it daunting? I would LOVE to spend a week with just me & my son. Even more so abroad :D

Honestly? Because she'll drive me mad after a couple of days...we are FAR too much alike!

LOL!
I can only give my experience as the kid of a single parent. Whether it was with just my mum or with a friend of hers, I always used to gravitate towards other kids and to be honest that's mainly what I remember about the best bits of the holidays/trips. Kids rooms or activities always kept me busy and my mum was either relaxing or making friends too. So I wouldn't worry, there's always other parents in the same boat you can befriend.

Thanks I'm glad that you were ok with being in kids clubs etc, at least I know she won't be scarred for life! I think it's quite useful to hear your experience.

Hi! I had to comment on this. I had the same problem as you a couple of years ago when I went to Corfu it was just me and my daughter who was 5 at the time.

I was so worried but in the end I had no reason to at all. Kids are brilliant ice breakers. She made loads of friends and in the end I also made friends with the parents. One of the girls she made friends with was also on her own with her two daughters. Another two friends she made were with their parents and in the end we sat round the pool every day together and we meet up for drinks in the evenings all parents and kids and we had a great time! I'm doing it again in Ibiza for just a week this time and I can't wait! To be honest even if she doesn't make friends this time which I'm sure she will I'm going to love it just the two of us, we'll have a great time together.

So I do totally understand your worries I was exactly the same as you but please relax and know that you will have a great time, I certainly did and I can't wait to do it again! xx

You've actually made me feel much more positive about it, thank you!

I was looking at Ibiza also, do you think it'll be crazy full of clubbers? I've never been but have always fancied it Xx

Hey if you see thinking of ibiza it is Definably NOT just full of clubbers. I went to a place called hotel San Miguel/the San Miguel beach club. It's cheap and cheerful and all inclusive and is full to the brim of young families and kids. It is on the beach, it's only a three star and is not luxuary but is cheap and safe. Take a look at it online. It would be perfect for someone to go with their kids abroad. Xx

You've actually made me feel much more positive about it, thank you!

I was looking at Ibiza also, do you think it'll be crazy full of clubbers? I've never been but have always fancied it Xx

Awww glad to hear it!! Well I went to Ibiza last year with a friend for just three nights and did the all night partying thing and loved it. First time I've ever been away without my daughter and felt so guilty. So this year she wants to go to Ibiza as she feels like she missed out so we're going to Es Cana it looks like a lovely resort, more for families than clubbers. It's a short flight, I paid £235 for our flights (both) on Easyjet and booked our hotel through Travel Republic and only paid a £1 deposit! We're going on 31st August for 6 nights and we can't wait! xx ps where in London are you?

Luckily my daughter is old enough to go in the pool by herself and can swim so it's easier for me. As long as I'm watching it's all good. If you can't do that then yeah I could see why it would drive you mad!

Hey if you see thinking of ibiza it is Definably NOT just full of clubbers. I went to a place called hotel San Miguel/the San Miguel beach club. It's cheap and cheerful and all inclusive and is full to the brim of young families and kids. It is on the beach, it's only a three star and is not luxuary but is cheap and safe. Take a look at it online. It would be perfect for someone to go with their kids abroad. Xx

Sounds fab! I'm gonna have a look at it in the morning!

Awww glad to hear it!! Well I went to Ibiza last year with a friend for just three nights and did the all night partying thing and loved it. First time I've ever been away without my daughter and felt so guilty. So this year she wants to go to Ibiza as she feels like she missed out so we're going to Es Cana it looks like a lovely resort, more for families than clubbers. It's a short flight, I paid £235 for our flights (both) on Easyjet and booked our hotel through Travel Republic and only paid a £1 deposit! We're going on 31st August for 6 nights and we can't wait! xx ps where in London are you?

Wow that sounds really good!

I'm in Islington, are you a Londoner too? If so, where are you? Xx

9 going on 19! Drives me bloody mad!

I don't envy you. Just you wait till she turns 12. Mines possessed by the devil. :evil:

Wow that sounds really good!

I'm in Islington, are you a Londoner too? If so, where are you? Xx

I grew up in Enfield living in Hertfordshire now. You really will have a fab time with your lil one. I really do understand how hard it is to get away just the two of you but if I can do it so can you. I got our EHIC cards in the post today so I'm nearly all ready to go! If you decide on Ibiza let me know! xx

I took my 3 kids on holiday abroad alone, we went to Tenerife.
at the time they were 14, 11 and 5.

I take my kids to caravan holidays now and then too, last one we all went to they were.. 21, 18 (+17yro girlfriend and unborn granddaughter) 12 and 3.

the next holiday I will be taking my youngest daughter and 3 granddaughters .. 6, 3, 2 and 10mo

and we (my eldest and I ) have been planning to take youngest daughter and middle granddaughter (eldests daughter) back to Tenerife next Christmas as a surprise.

ive been a singleparent for so long now that holidays with any amount of my kids, grandkids or a mix of them all is just normal..lol.

Latest posts

Back