Sinus problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmajt

Shopaholic Geek
Reaction score
Morning all,

Please can anyone give me a bit of advise,

I've noticed for the past couple of months i'm getting terrible sinus problems on and off.

I haven't had a clue as to what might be causing it as it's not continuous, just now and again.

Anyway i did a clients nails last night using fibreglass and i've been in agony ever since:sad:

Could it be the activator spray causing it??

I thought it could also me the dust when i'm filing the old enhancement down for infils??

Does anyone know of anything i can use that might eliminate odour and dust??

I thought maybe a surgical mask type thing??

Oh and by the way the fibreglass system i use is the edge

Any help greatfully received

Em.xx

Hi Emma, I had the same sort of problems for a while there, i was using Backscratchers extreme and the activator spray was causing me real problems, I stopped using it and have been much better since.

I now wear a dust mask and when filing I change the tissue underneath my clients hands after each hand is completed to keep the dust down to a minimum. I usually try to ensure that there is a door or window open nearby to ventilate the place. my doctor told me to make sure i blow my nose after i finish each set to get any dust out of it :p !

Hope this helps,

Lou.

I suffer from Astma. A tip I was given was to quickly dip the files in some water. The dust sticks to the file or falls to the floor etc quicker because of the water making the dust hevier. I do that and it works a treat. I think you may need to look at other activator sprays I use a brush on one.

Jen :green:

Hi love

Could be the activator causing the problem I used to get this with my old fibreglass system I used to wake up feeling like I had a cold on the way and head aches, make sure you have plenty of ventilation. I use fabric from designer nails and I don't have the problem anymore ;)

Take care Dawnie xxxx

Thanks for the advice guys:)

It's easing off now, but god it was awful last night.

I'll try a different activator i reckon - maybe brush on and do the change of towel and wet file thing and see how i get on.

Em.xx

I have a chemical allergy so it will never be possible for me to do nails beyond manicure/pedicure. Your symptoms are the same as the ones I get when I come into contact with household chemicals esp bleach. I use a steam cleaner and anything chemical free.

I would say try the brush on system or else change the make of products you use. I had a similar problem with the Star L&P, but it was the monomer i got an allergy to. I changed to EZ Flow and now i am ok. Its just trial and error to find one that works, get a few try me kits to see if others have the same effect.

Whenever Im in the salon my nose always starts to run! Theres nothing to actually blow (sorry!) it just drips and drives me mad.

I thought it might be the monomer I was using but it happens with gel too!

I think its either the dust or because of all the concentration!

Im not allergic to anything else so its a bit of a puzzle!

The exact same thing happens to me Vanessa. I also recently disscovered it happens with the gel too so have just ordered some masks from the designer nail shop, feel a bit ov a freek using it!

How many of you with the problem have actually followed the manufacturer's advice and installed extraction ventillation?? My guess is not many!

Manufacturers give this advice to promote your good health in the salon. NO dust is good to breathe. Remove it at source or minimise the amount you make with good techniques such as doing the finished nail with your brush instead of sculpting with your file!

Most of us do not ignore health warnings on bottles ... why do nail technicians???

hi all, not sure if you've read my previous thread and the awful problems i was experiencing ?

well i have one of the desks with the vapex D extraction system and my love has also put a wall extraction unit in for me, I have the desk extraction on all the time i am blending, buffing etc, i tend to turn of for a short while whilst producting for a break from the humming, then it goes straight back on. I also wear a mask during blending / buffing.

Once the client has left i close the door and turn on the wall extraction unit to clear vapour / smells / further dust etc etc, this is rather loud to have on all the time and this way works for me.

Anyway the point of this reply is that due to wearing my mask and the extraction units (touching wood !!!) i have not had any problems since.

kx

Latest posts

Back