Sinus Trouble.. connected to L&P ???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never experenced this but I do find the smell of creative liquid very over powering but it is pritty much the same as any other liquid I use. Hoping the gels wont smell so bad

Well, I suffer quite badly from Sinus problems ... have all my life.
Anything can trigger it from Chemical to 'natural' smells.
The worse thing for me can be a night out with the girlies... all that perfume and ciggy smoke!
AND....
I get a worse reaction in my nail-art class from nail polishes than I do from doing a set of l&p!!!!

lindag said:
I have never experenced this but I do find the smell of creative liquid very over powering but it is pritty much the same as any other liquid I use. Hoping the gels wont smell so bad

Actually Creative Monomer is classed as a low-odour monomer. It is thicker than most other monomers and evaporation is therefore slower.
Gels 'encapsulate' the esters that cause odour because they are partly polymerised so there is very little if any smell.

However, read the info on the link that the Geek posted ... ODOUR DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A PROBLEM!! Practice the advice given there and you will reduce your odour by 70% (this has been measured).

ALL responsible manufacturers reccomend extraction ventillation ... Why don't techncians install it??? They don't want to spend the money. They are happy to pay for fancy expensive wood flooring etc but ignor the good advice given by manufacturers. This is not smart.

More people are affected by the nice perfumes in cosmetics than the odour of monomer liquid. Some perfumes give me a terrible headache (Poison to mention one). Odour does not equal danger. Dust inhailation is more to be guarded against

Thanks soo much all

kx

I would question your theory that it is the monomer. Easy to find out - does it happen when you rebalance gel?

I have terrible problems with dust from ANY system if I do not take precautions. If I protect myself I get no respiratory problems at all. It took me a while to figure out, but it is definitely NOT monomer fumes in my case.

I made a long post about what to do to minismise dust if you do a search. If you can't find it I will post more here.

Hi Ella

didn't think about the obvoius !!! dust, when I posted originally, have read loads of prevous threads re dust etc thanks.

I thought of monomer as I know sometimes I sit quite close to it and you can smell it (pinnacle).

definately getting an extractor fan sorted whether in desk or other.

don't do gel at the mo - have brisa course booked after foundation end april/beg may.

thanks for your post hun.

kx

ella said:
I would question your theory that it is the monomer. Easy to find out - does it happen when you rebalance gel?

I have terrible problems with dust from ANY system if I do not take precautions. If I protect myself I get no respiratory problems at all. It took me a while to figure out, but it is definitely NOT monomer fumes in my case.

I made a long post about what to do to minismise dust if you do a search. If you can't find it I will post more here.

i also suffer from the dust, blocked nose and sneezing, i have just invested in the desk top extractor fan from NSI seems to be helping a bit, the thing is i also work part time in a shop wich as yet hasn't got any extractor fans and when i'm working there my nose constantly runs i think i'll have to take my extractor fan to work with me and see if it helps. ;) undefined

I'm quite the opposite. I can't function in the morning until my maid has bought me a black coffee, cigarette and a sniff of monomer. Lol

David

Jaydee said:
I'm quite the opposite. I can't function in the morning until my maid has bought me a black coffee, cigarette and a sniff of monomer. Lol

David
:lol: sorry had to laugh - i'm the same, oh that tickled me.

Joking apart hope sinus problems clear up for sufferes...monomer used to give me a headache untill i remembered about poor ventillation - no no probs..

Have to say it does give me abit of a headache if theres lack of ventilation but ialso have to say i quite like the smell of it.............:o

Strange i know but i just can't help it...lol

Hi - I too have had a problem (quite severe) with L&P. I haven't actually used L&P for about a year now as I've been using Bio Sculpture gel but I was originally trained with Star Nails L&P. Anyway, whilst first practising I was doing nails nearly every day - at the beginning of my course I had a cold and I noticed that after a few weeks it just wasn't shifting! :sad: I never put it down to the nails at all until I had a few days where I didn't do any - the cold seemed to suddenly get better but as soon as I went on and did, say, another 3 or so sets of nails in a short space of time it would start again! The more I did the worse it got again and it would cause a terrible terrible cough - so bad one day after doing 2 sets of nails in one evening that I was almost physically sick and got about 2 hours sleep!! I was suffering bad!!! I think some people are definitely allergic to the dust and I think the more that was piling up inside my lungs the worse I got. I'm actually putting myself through a Creative foundation course to be trained properly with their L&P (I did try a sample of that towards the end but had the same problems!) in June as I do find some clients really need acrylic as it's tougher than gel but if I keep the numbers down then hopefully I'll be fine doing the odd L&P here and there!

By the way, I tried the masks and sitting by windows with plenty of ventilation but it made no difference whatsoever! And as I'm a mobile technician an extractor wouldn't be the answer for me :sad:

Wish there was a solution but to me I just think it's an allergy some of us have so I've sadly had to accept it :sad:

If anybody finds a cure though I'd loooooove to know :)

a long way back I replied to a post with this subject. this is what I wrote:

I used to get symptoms for up to 48hours after doing nails - any type. I would sneeze, cough like a smoker, streaming nose, sore throat and slightly fluish feeling.

This is what helps me:

A proper mask, bought from a builders merchant marked "for toxic small particles". Change it reglarly and wear it from the moment you start work. I cannot work in a salon for this reason - I would never be able to take it off. Training courses are hell for me, I forgot my mask when I did my creative conversion and I was so ill afterwards I couldn't work for two days as there had been no extraction and the windows were closed with 5 of us creating dust!

Take a break. You need to have a break from nails until your symptoms go away and you histemine levels to calm down, then start with a mask and maybe some anithistemines. Be careful and they shouldn't come back.

Use an extractor.

Minimise dust. I even use a water spray into the air which "captures" particles and brings them down. Change your desk towel frequently. Use scissors not files to pretailor tips. Clip or cut tip to shape when on the client and just minimal file to finish. Sculp with your brush!! I sometimes apply oil before filing as it stops the dust from floating so much.

I may be oversensitive, but I also wash my hair after work as I think the dust gets in it and then would get into my nose while I sleep (it is very long)

I envy techs who can just carry on regardless, but my body is surely telling me that the dust / chemicals are not good for me and taking these precautions will be good for me in the long run too. I know how much this must bother you but you can keep it controlled.

i love Creative products and i use the l&p, but the smell of Retention+ is strong . i can't stand the smell. i know there are preventative measures to reduce odor - and i follow them, but the odour is :eek: !

ella said:
I may be oversensitive, but I also wash my hair after work as I think the dust gets in it and then would get into my nose while I sleep (it is very long)

I didnt think your nose was that long. :green:

Remember all... no dust is good to breathe the more you create, the more you inhale, the worse it can be for you.
As for the smell thing... Some things can may smell very strong and be significantly safer than some things that smell nice, or dont even smell at all!

Monomer vapour is not the issue here as studies show that the average monomer vapour in a salon is 100-200 times below safety levels.

Your best bet is to not create the dust in the first place (or at least as less as possible). A fine dust mask works best against direct inhalation.

All of these symptoms that people have commented on (sneezing, coughing, hacking, runny nose) is your body's natural defense mechanisms for attempting to expell the dust particles you have been breathing in.

Just thought id let you all know that i started my foundation course with creative last monday, forgot to wear a mask on monday but wore one tuesday onwards.

Todate my sinus problem has not gone. It usually lasts just 3 days then all clear as if it wasnt there at all. i am religiously using a mask, changing to a fresh one regularly, i have a desk with an extractor fan on (which i appreicate only collects about 20% of the dust) and i wear glasses too, just in case the little dust particles go into me that way too !

I am looking into getting a floor standing extractor fan too very soon which i will have connected through my wall to outside.

Im trying desperately to complete my 7 sets of nails for my foundation course which needs completing by next thursday but i feel so crap and bunged up all the time.

Sorry to re-raise this, i know all the advice is contained within this thread, which i thank you, im just feeling really low at the moment with this problem.

I have a real love for working with nails and people and will not give it up.

just wanted to moan a little, sorry all

kx

hi iam doing l/p for 10 years now and one year ago i got the same problems u mentioned.i went to have an alergie test,they didnt found anything.
but ofcourse told me its the dust,stop doing nails.
i both maskes and the fentylation is real good.
but the problems continued.
till one day i was out off"out the door" and couldent buy it for one month,my problems stoped and i was realy happy but didnt toght of it was becouse of the "out the door",so when i fynly got it again i was so happy couse i love it,the problems started again,thats were i started thinking it was becouse of it and stoped using it and again no problem.
so i found what coused my running nose.
somethimes its just something u didnt think about.
merav from israel

Hi Merav and thanks for your note, hey and welcome all the way from Israel !

Im not using any other prods other than prep, l&P etc, so no varnishes or base/top coats etc at the moment.

This began with my other products and has continued with creative prods so trying hard to narrow it down.

Im really surprised and touched by the amount of emails ive had, and pms re this, its kinda reasuring that im not alone, though wouldn't wish this on anyone else !

Im taking a break from nails for 3 days to see if this dissapears again, im half way through my homework and will finish them mon/tues/weds next week whether its gone or not !

Anyway, thanks again for your note.

kx

nails123 said:
hi iam doing l/p for 10 years now and one year ago i got the same problems u mentioned.i went to have an alergie test,they didnt found anything.
but ofcourse told me its the dust,stop doing nails.
i both maskes and the fentylation is real good.
but the problems continued.
till one day i was out off"out the door" and couldent buy it for one month,my problems stoped and i was realy happy but didnt toght of it was becouse of the "out the door",so when i fynly got it again i was so happy couse i love it,the problems started again,thats were i started thinking it was becouse of it and stoped using it and again no problem.
so i found what coused my running nose.
somethimes its just something u didnt think about.
merav from israel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back